walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I Carn na Caim - and conquered too.

I Carn na Caim - and conquered too.

Postby old danensian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 02/09/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1412m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dry feet: stretched legs: a couple of unvisited Munros: no Sunday crowds: little or no rain: preferably a view.

I know, I don’t ask for much.

But this was the last chance to get up some hills before a further foray south in our great relocation project. We’ve done up their new apartment so now it’s all about moving the in-laws next so I needed a sanity surplus from this little expedition before we head off to pack and bring them north.

So, back to this list.

MWIS suggested east of the A9 for the last of the two of my unreasonable demands – dry views.

The preponderance of red splodges on my Munro map in that neck of the woods gave plenty of choice and the land rover tracks on Carn na Caim and A’ Bhuidheanach hinted that there was a fair chance of avoiding most of the boggier bits.

Then, after browsing WH, I hoped that reports littered with uninspiring adjectives would keep the crowds at bay.

But hey, a hill’s a hill’s a hill and not to be snubbed in my book.

CnC-01.jpg
There'll be a welcome in the hillsides - Balfour Beaty style

CnC-02.jpg
Honest, it's a quarry - with Carn na Caim behind

To say the route is undemanding in good conditions is to grossly over-estimate its difficulty. OK, if you go “off piste” and head south west rather than south east off A’ Bhuidheanach, and try to approach Bheag from the west rather than the north, it can call on the simplest of navigational skills as there’s nothing on the horizon ahead at which you can aim.

CnC-03.jpg
The final "slopes" of Carn na Caim

CnC-04.jpg
There's little to shelter behind if the wind picks up on the summit of Carn na Caim

So, how did I fare on my unrealistic set of demands?

Dry feet – perfect, helped enormously by boots still new enough not to have damaged stitching or holes in the toe.
Stretched legs – well the track up can be a bit tedious, but only for an hour as you gain height. Once on the plateau it’s a pleasure to stride out and enjoy some undemanding exercise not interrupted by brutal bursts demanded by steep summit pinnacles.
Unvisited Munros – yes, two more splodges have now turned blue.
Sunday crowds – three men and a dog despite the constant drone of vehicles on the A9 below seemed a good return.
Little or no rain – a couple of half-hearted attempts at drizzle were summarily dispatched by simply putting a cag on.
Views – they may not be calendar fodder to three quarters of the compass. To the west, however, there were plenty of opportunities to name the hills as they popped in and out of view, and watch their characters change as weather in that direction took its toll.

CnC-05.jpg
The steepest thing around - on A' Bhuidheanach

CnC-06.jpg
Low-tech GPS a few yards to the left of the quartz "pinnacle" on A' Bhuidheanach

CnC-07.jpg
Looking down Coire Chuirn

All in all, a satisfactory day out – and now mentally fortified to try to explain the benefits of de-cluttering to an older generation. It’s a big ask in their late eighties.

CnC-08.jpg
Summit of A' Bhuidheanach Bheag
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: I Carn na Caim - and conquered too.

Postby basscadet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Oh looked like you got a nice day for it.. :wink:

All I saw was clag when I di em, and its nicet o know I didnt miss much :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Stuart Angus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Two more for my winter trecking list I think :D
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby goth_angel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Thinking of doing this as a winter walk.

But now rather put off by the scary looking gate. Is this actually at the bottom of the access track that you want - and if so how did you get over it? It does seem to suggest no walkers allowed :?
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby old danensian » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:25 pm

The camera doesn't lie - the lens just bends the truth a bit.

So don't worry GA - I cropped out the walk-through gate just to the right for effect - still waiting for Balfour Beatty lawyers to be in touch.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:00 pm

A clear day at Drumochter :? You were lucky, everytime i drive through it's **** down :(
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland