walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A circuit of Loch Muick

A circuit of Loch Muick

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Date walked: 15/09/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast today for the North-East was pretty-good. However, the chance of me getting out on the hills was slim, verging on anorexic.

For a family day out, I put it to the vote: a walk up a hill or a low-level walk.
I was out-voted - a low-level walk it was going to be :roll:.

I therefore come up with the idea of walking the circuit of Loch Muick. I knew this was a good walk having walked it circa ten times previously. Carole had also walked it on a number of occasions. However it was going to be a new walk for Becky :).

We drove to Ballater and then onto the Spittal of Glenmuick car park.

Grumble time! I really dislike having to pay for parking to access the hills. It is now £3 to park at the Spittal of Glenmuick car park. I would guess these parking charges are the work of some Access Group/Trust. I don’t think this is the Queen trying to rake-in the pound coins for parking on her land.

From the car park we set out to undertake an anti-clockwise circuit of Loch Muick.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

Track from car park to Spittal of Glenmuick:

On reaching the visitor centre, we had a look inside. Becky particularly enjoyed hearing a recording of the call of a Capercaillie.

Balmoral Estate Visitor Centre:

Track towards Loch Muick:

The one certainty today was that whenever Beinn saw water he would be straight in it. He adores being in water.

Beinn in the Loch Muick outflow:

Loch Muick:

The walk from the Boat House to Glas-Allt-Shiel seemed to pass really quickly today. As we walked along the track, we spent plenty of time admiring the flora and fauna.

Boat House:

Becky on the track leading towards Glas-Allt-Shiel:

Butterfly watching:

Approaching the Glas-Allt-Shiel wood:

Becky with Broad Cairn in the background:

On reaching Glas-Allt-Shiel we stopped for circa 20 minutes.

Becky at Glas-Allt-Shiel:

We had a look inside the Glas-Allt-Shiel bothy. This was Becky’s first look inside a bothy. I don’t think she was overly impressed :lol:.

Becky inside the Glas-Allt-Shiel bothy:

While Carole and Becky had a bite to eat, I spent some time watching Beinn swimming in the loch and even more time trying to get him out of the loch.

The Loch Muick monster:

Beinn refusing to come out of Loch Muick:

While standing at the house, I noticed a dragonfly land on one of the granite blocks. It was kind enough to stay still for long enough to get a few photos.

Dragonfly:

Dragonfly:

Dragonfly (zoom):

From Glas-Allt-Shiel, we left the good track and took the path through the wood and then round the far-end of the loch.

The path at the far-end of the loch is much improved compared to the mud-fest that used to be there a number of years ago.

Path skirting round the far end of Loch Muick:

Beinn:

Creag an Dubh-loch (zoom):

Stulan burn waterfall:

The next section of path is the worst of the circuit. Narrow and stony compared with the really good track leading from Spittal of Glenmuick to Glas-Allt-Shiel.

Looking down the length of Loch Muick:

Looking across Loch Muick to Glas-Allt-Shiel:

Looking along Loch Muick towards the Spittal of Glenmuick:

It was good to eventually leave the path and get back onto good track.

Loch Muick from start of good track:

Beinn waiting patiently:

Looking back towards Glas-Allt-Shiel:

The walk back to the car was pleasant.

Carole and Becky heading back towards the Spittal of Glenmuick:

This is a good wee walk.
foggieclimber

Re: A circuit of Loch Muick

Postby mrssanta » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:20 pm

not a bad walk at all for a wee pair of legs
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Waahooooo, thanks for this Foggie, my favourite place. Sarah and I made the circuit many times when we lived in Banchory and I used it as a jump off for a few hikes too.

So good to see the place in full like this with beautiful photos all the way around. The ones of Beinn cracked me up (does he think he's an otter :lol: )

A great family day and a good long haul for little Becky :clap: I bet she thought that bothy was going to be like a little house inside.....it must have been a hell of a shock :lol:

Great report mate and please pass on my thanks to the family for outvoting you and giving us a full round of Loch Muick :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Ian Johnston » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Oh, lovely!

This is one of my favourite walks, and one we walk with friends who claim they're "not really hillwalkers"...

Just a cracker and I love the images you've illustrated it with. Becky - get used to bothies Quieinie! :clap:

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks Chris and Ian
foggieclimber

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland