walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers - my first solo Munros!

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers - my first solo Munros!

by anxious-ambler » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 09/09/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers - my first solo Munros!

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Ben Chonzie is not dull as dishwater - see my report of the last time I did it to prove my point! :D

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17365
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby anxious-ambler » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:34 pm

chickadee wrote:Well done! I am still to do a Munro, let alone one alone, but I think about it a lot and I totally understand why you'd be worried, I would be too! I do solo low-level walking but going up high still scares me a little. That's definitely an inspiring report, I need to get out there and finally do one or two myself. :D

Thank you!! I'm glad it has inspired you to get out there and get bagging....let me know if you'd like to share the fear at any time :)

dogplodder wrote:Ben Chonzie is not dull as dishwater - see my report of the last time I did it to prove my point! :D

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17365

Wow, that's a great report dogplodder! I certainly didn't believe it could be 'dull as dishwater' and was surprised this walker felt so strongly that way. Ben Chonzie is definitely one I'm looking forward to - although I'm so desperate for views like you got, I'll need to pick the right day! Cheers for that!
anxious-ambler

Munros:36   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby foofis44 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Nice! great walk (well what I've done of it) I've only climbed ben lomond and Ben ghlas because the wind! Had to turn back, walked about 10 meters onto the ridge then nearly fell! can't do much hillwalking because I live the other side of Scotland but well done!
foofis44
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Excellent stuff anxious-ambler! I bet your thrilled to bits having achieved the double. I had done a lot more munros than you before attempting my first solo, but you will remember this day for maybe the rest of your life. I admire your bottle, good luck with next climbs and take care! Mountain people normally look after mountain people on the hill at least I have always found that, and long may it continue. Brilliant first report, a lot better than my first efforts, that's for sure, I look forward to the next one.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Klaasloopt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Well done Anxious. A little fear is a good thing, it keeps you safe. I know from experience how a big bad mountain's frightening grip can disappear when fellow walkers show up. You've whitnessed it and wrote it down convincingly :thumbup:
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby colgregg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Yep. That's the way I remember Ben Lawers. No views.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Also my first two munro's, about xxx years ago, and your great report reminds me of my own experience. Well done, you are hooked. :wink:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Andrizzle » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Great first report - very inspiring to hear about your solo adventure!! Well done!
Andrizzle
Ambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:1

Postby anxious-ambler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Andrizzle wrote:Great first report - very inspiring to hear about your solo adventure!! Well done!

Wow, there I was checking the latest Scotland walk reports and the last thing I expected to see was one of mine pop up :D Thank you very much! I've done a few more solo Munros since then, some good some bad. Ben Chonzie (no 13) on my own I loved, Meall Chuaich (no 23) I enjoyed, recently An Socach (no 36) I liked, but Meall Ghaordaidh (no 24) I totally got the fear and didn't do another Munro, solo or otherwise, for a whole year afterwards! Depending on my state of my mind, Munro adventures can either help combat my anxiety or they can totally fuel it.

I also realised I missed quite a few comments on this report, which is probably very bad etiquette, sorry :(
So thank you for these, and sorry I didn't see them 4 years ago! Much appreciated:

Scotjamie wrote:Also my first two munro's, about xxx years ago, and your great report reminds me of my own experience. Well done, you are hooked. :wink:

colgregg wrote:Yep. That's the way I remember Ben Lawers. No views.

Klaasloopt wrote:Well done Anxious. A little fear is a good thing, it keeps you safe. I know from experience how a big bad mountain's frightening grip can disappear when fellow walkers show up. You've whitnessed it and wrote it down convincingly :thumbup:

The Rodmiester wrote:Excellent stuff anxious-ambler! I bet your thrilled to bits having achieved the double. I had done a lot more munros than you before attempting my first solo, but you will remember this day for maybe the rest of your life. I admire your bottle, good luck with next climbs and take care! Mountain people normally look after mountain people on the hill at least I have always found that, and long may it continue. Brilliant first report, a lot better than my first efforts, that's for sure, I look forward to the next one.

foofis44 wrote:Nice! great walk (well what I've done of it) I've only climbed ben lomond and Ben ghlas because the wind! Had to turn back, walked about 10 meters onto the ridge then nearly fell! can't do much hillwalking because I live the other side of Scotland but well done!
anxious-ambler

Munros:36   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Jamie64 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 am

A great read - I appreciate your honesty. Sounds like you win out in the end over your fear. I had a similar slightly unnerving experience on way to Ben Cleuch a few days ago, as mist brought visibility down to 50ft, and I was walking on no more than sheep trails. Lessons learned.

I’m heading up to Ben Lawers tomorrow. 🙂
Jamie64
Mountaineer

Munros:16   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:24 am

Nice one. Solo in the hills does feel very different to being with a group, bringing its own challenges, but equally, different rewards.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby onsen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:42 pm

:clap: wild & woolly walk...well done.
onsen
Munro compleatist

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland