walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3rd attempt and now a 'bump' but success!

3rd attempt and now a 'bump' but success!

Postby littlemrs29 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 15/09/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started hillwalking on new years day 2010 with the first one being schiehallion - valentines day that year was spent on what we thought was Ben Lawers. As I have been gradually getting out more it dawned on me that alas we did not get to the top of Ben Lawers - sad times. So to correct this I went back with my daughter but again, unfortunately, no sumit was reached as she complained of sore legs and I didnt want to put her off forever. She had climbed Mount Keen just a couple of weeks before and I wanted to keep her interested.

So after the last few weeks of problems at work and health scares I decided this weekend was it - nothing was going to stop me! I would go myself and take as long as I needed! I aimed to leave my house at 9 and was on the road for quarter past which is an achievement for me - good start! I had my dads old car which only has radio but 2 of my 'get up and go' tunes came on so my spirits were high! All was well till just before the turn off on the a9 for Kenmore where I ran in to a little traffic - I stopped behind the car in front and the van behind stopped IN my back seat - hence the reference to little bump in the title. Still, thinking positively it could have been worse, the back door wasn't opening but my stuff was on the back seat and I could still drive so after many apologies from mr van man I took his details and carried on (albeit a little shaky but these things happen). A couple of miles down the road and I noticed the light coming on telling me I had a door open - turns out the back door COULD open - it just couldn't shut, damn.

Anyway I get to rather packed visitors car park later than had hoped so quickly park and put the ticket on the car (I did notice quite a few had chosen not to pay the voluntary fee...... it's only £2). Off I went at quite a steady pace but soon had to slow down due to stomach pains. Echos of my partner telling me I shouldn't be going rang through my head but that just spurred me on :lol: I noticed an older woman ahead of me walking alone also and wondered if I would still enjoy this in about 20 years but then I thought why on earth would I not? :lol: I impressed myself when I passed quite a few groups - I'm really not fast at walking at all and like to stop to take in the views. I briefly slowed down behind one couple and overheard the woman saying she was looking forward to the alcohol later much to the amusement of her husband! Ha ha
Mum 354.JPG
Not bad weather starting off

Mum 355.JPG
Looking forward

Not before long I was on the short plateau before the sumit of Beinn Ghlas and I decided to stop for a breather and to check my map. My dad has been cutting out all the articles about walkers relying on mobiles and gps devices whilst out and giving them to me so to stop some of this nagging I decided on such a clear day it would be good to brush up on my map reading skills. As I was doing this I overheard someone saying 'that's not a sight you often see - a woman reading a map' - happy dad?
Mum 364.JPG

Mum 369.JPG
Rather nervous posting this one as I'm wearing pink...... :)

Up to the sumit and my fear of what I believed we had walked back in 2010 was made in to reality - we had not walked up Ben Lawers but Beinn Ghlas. It was a very different view now though - for a start there was no snow! There was, however a view so a few photos and off I went along the path carrying on to Ben Lawers. I did find the climb quite steep, I wouldn't call any Munro 'easy' I don't think. I was glad of my poles keeping me steady :) Literally 5 minutes before the sumit I saw the clouds coming in so I tried as hard as I could to get there before the view went but unfortunately I JUST missed it - gutted. Yes it did go through my head had I not met mr van man I would have been there earlier but no point thinking 'what if'. I sheltered behind the trig point with my sandwich and took a few photos of, well, nothing :lol: A few more walkers came up - some young lads with their parents and 3 or 4 dogs - very nice family, and another couple I had passed. I moved round the side so others could get the obligatory 'sumit photo' and finished my sandwich. I had considered carrying on to An Stuc but I couldn't see it so thought it best to call it a day.
Mum 368.JPG
The 'sumit' of 2010

Mum 371.JPG
Looking out to Ben Lawers

Mum 379.JPG
The top - and the cloud

Mum 378.JPG
Could still see in front of me though

I set off back down the way I had come up and I don't know if everyone feels like this but for some reason I always end up running back down! I just can't seem to walk down! Don't get me wrong the minute it goes back up hill again I'm back to walking but along sumits, ridges and going down I always get this urge to run. Luckily I don't get the urge to fly though!!

I had intended to just go back the way I had come up but as I started back up Beinn Ghlas I suddenly thought if I wanted to go back up I would have been as well carrying on to An Stuc! So I crossed down to the easy path below and saw those I had passed earlier. They must have thought 'why on earth has she ran over there to walk down here?' - ah well. All the way down I kept looking back to see if the cloud lifted but it didn't - even back at the car I couldn't see the sumit - good decision to turn back for me I think!

So overall a good day - took me a little longer than normal to drive back as I was still a little shaky but it was mission accomplished despite everything :D
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: 3rd attempt and now a 'bump' but success!

Postby dooterbang » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:35 pm

My friend and i always run down when possible, even after epic long walks doing multiple Munros...i can't explain it, must be some sort of hill fever :lol:

Well done on finally reaching the summit of Ben Lawers, and being able to read...a map :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:36 pm

well done.. i was waiting on you saying you were expecting when you mentioned the bump!
i raced down this one.too ... beating mgmt! much to his dismay :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby budvarone » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Heading up to these two next week, hope the weather's as good as it was for you (apart from the cloud at the summit!) You seemed to get good views on the way up, and it only took 3 hrs!!! I'm sure I'll take much longer! Well done!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Postby littlemrs29 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone - I put 3-4 hours down as it was about 3 and a half but looks like the report just took the first number!

And no no - not THAT kind of bump - just a bump in the car :lol:

Hopefully getting out again soon
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Cracking report! I wondered the same when I saw the title! And as for the pink clobber, it's not so bad. Not my choice of hill gear you understand, but it's a regular hill outfit for my wee girl. Mind you, I do wonder what she'll say when she's older and she looks at the photos. :? :? :? :? Dad!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby quoman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 am

Hard luck wi the bump....but you might get a new car out of it... that's a quick time 3hrs i couldn't run the length of myself :lol: :lol: P.S nothing wrong wi the pink gear
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am

Cracking wee report :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love running off a hill, arms and legs flapping all over the place like a big daftie :lol: :lol:

As for wearing pink....the brighter the better!!!! 8) 8)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:01 pm

pollyh33 wrote:I love running off a hill, arms and legs flapping all over the place like a big daftie

I can confirm this! Memories of coming off the South Glen Shiel Ridge a year ago spring to mind. Mind you, in that instance, it was more a case of "walking zombie-like off a hill, arms and legs flapping all over the place like a big daftie". :lol:

On the subject of the pink attire Polly, Ailsa has only recently started wearing that pink outfit you gave her in Kintail that time. She's a petite wee thing right enough! Sorry for hijacking the post and taking it right off on a pink tangent...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SMRussell » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:13 pm

You wore pink, and took a photo of it .... and posted it online?! Ye Gods! Criminy! :shock: :lol: I jest, I've no problems with others in pink my dear! I just can't deal with being bombarded with it in outdoors shops!

Nice report and well done for ticking these off :clap:

P.S Personally, I'm sure the A9 is cursed!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland