walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

13 days in Cairngorms

13 days in Cairngorms

Postby killy9999 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Glas Tulaichean, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie, Ben Vuirich, Meall a' Bhuachaille, Morrone

Date walked: 02/07/2012

Distance: 169 km

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part_1_Pitlochry_-_Braemar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Part_2_Braemar_-_Aviemore.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last July I visited Scotland with my girlfriend Agata and two of my friends: Marek and Ania. We're from Poland so visit in Scotland was kinda like an expedition. We did a lot of planning - big thanks to WH users, who helped us a lot. We wanted to spend 2.5 weeks in Scotland, as much as possible in the mountains. We decided that we'll head to Cairngorms and walk from Pitlochry to Braemar and then to Aviemore. On 30th June we came to Edinburgh and spent two days wandering around the city. On Monday we got into the bus and began our trip.

Day 1
The Real Mountain Trip (TM) begins on 2nd July in the late afternoon in Pitlochry. It's cloudy and windy, but it doesn't rain too much. We walk up to Loch a' Choire and pitch our tents nearby. Rain gets heavier, which makes me a bit worried - I know that in such weather we won't be able to walk for even two days.

DSC_3665.jpg

Day 2
The weather gets slightly better in the morning. We head towards Ben Vrackie, meeting a lot of people. We're carrying heavy backpacks with food supply for the next 2 weeks so most people just pass us by. Everyone claims that according to weather forecasts this is supposed to be the best day of the week. Only later we will realize that weather forecasts are never accurate. Weather on top of Ben Vrackie is horrible - visibility arround 50 meters and a strong wind don't encourage us to stay long. We move to north east towards Meall Breac. Luckily, we get below the clouds, which makes navigation a lot easier. We cross Allt na Leacainn Moire (BTW. how the hell do you pronounce these names?!) and head towards Creag Chlacharnach. The weather gets worse. It starts to rain and after an hour or so we're completely wet. Our plan is to reach the pass between Ben Vuirich and Carn Dubh. Visibility is again reduced to 50m or less, which makes navigation hard. We think we should be reaching the pass, but the terrain is just not right... so we're lost. We decide to pitch our tents and wait until the morning. My winter climbing instructor told me that camping sites fall into two categories: good and very good. Good ones include a bog and railway tracks. All others are very good. That said, we found ourselves a good camping site :) I don't like being soaking wet, but I guess I still love sleeping in a tent in a middle of nowhere, with no people around and nothing but the wind whistling.

DSC_3673.JPG

Day 3
Weather is still horrible - no visibility and strong wind. No rain though, so it wasn't that bad. We still not sure where exactly we are but we're certain we're not at the pass. We go north, following a crest that shouldn't be here. This makes things pretty clear - we camped just below the summit of Creag nan Gobhar and now are moving up to the pass. We reach the pass and just to be double sure we decide to climb the summit of Ben Vuirich. We reach the top, go back to the pass and head north east to Glen Loch. The lower we get the better the weather. Once we're in the valley it is sunny and warm, though the thick clouds still cover Carn Dubh and Ben Vuirich. We move up Gleean Fearnach, take a bath in the stream and go to the very end of the valley. We camp there.

P7047937.jpg

Day 4
First sunny morning in Scotland! We pack our stuff and begin the day with steep ascent towards Carn an t-Sionnaich. We take a small rest there and then head towards our first Munro - Glas Tulaichean. We're going quite fast hoping for a long rest and enjoyable views at the top. There certainly is a view from the top, but not en enjoyable one - the storm is coming towards us from the East. We put our waterproof pants and jackets and get out of the summit ASAP. As we move north along the ridge we witness the most spectacular weather breakdown I've seen in my life - I wish I had taken pictures. We are lucky - the storm just disappears, there are only clouds. We go towards Loch nan Eun and then across the huge plain towards An Socach. It gets sunny, so we don't hurry, but spend some time talking and enjoying the views: a herd of about 100 deers and then military bombers and fighters manoeuvring over Cairngorms. We finally reach the summit of An Socach... and get away from there as soon as possible, because the storm is coming :/ We go north east towards Braemar and camp on a pass below Sgor Mor. Luckily, the storm passes us by. BTW. Does anyone have an idea what fighters have we seen? I thought they looked like F-15, but I don't think they operate in Scottish air forces.

DSC_3801.JPG

img_1477.jpg

DSC_3805.JPG

DSC_3839.jpg

DSC_3847.JPG

img_1487.jpg

DSC_3859b.JPG

Day 5
We head north towards Braemar. There's no rain and the clouds are high, but the very strong wind makes this a very unpleasant day. We reach Morrone, which we nick-named Moron, and head down towards Braemar. We resupply chocolate and Snickers, and go towards Invercauld Bridge visiting Braemar Castle on our way. After we cross the bridge we have our first encounter with the midges. I must say that their fame is well deserved. We move along the road and camp in Gleann an t-Slugain.

Day 6
Another windy day. We move up Gleann an t-Slugain with plans to reach Ben Avon. As we walk into the valley leading north towards the Ben, we realize that we might not reach the summit: it is very windy, cloudy and the rain gets heavier. We reach Clach a' Cleirich and decide there's no point in going further up. We pitch our tents - it's 2.30PM - and decide to wait until the morning to see if it gets better.

img_1536.jpg

Day 7
This was a long night. I never tested my tent in such a strong wind and I wasn't sure if it will hold against the wind. Luckily for us it did, but it still count as one of the most extreme mountain experiences I had in my life. The weather isn't any better so pack our tents and go down the valley. We decide to move through the valleys and reach Bob Scott Memorial Hut. We're in the hut quite early, so we decide to head up to Hutchinson Memorial Hut. We're hoping for a better weather and possibility of climbing some Munros: we've already given up on Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird. We're a bit disappointed about the Hutchinson Hut and there's some discussion whether we should pitch our tents or not. In the end we sleep on the floor.

Day 8
Better weather my ***. I'm happy others persuaded me not to pitch the tents. It doesn't rain but it's cloudy and windy. So much for climbing Derry Cairngorm, Ben Macdui and Beann Mheadhoin. As usual, we go for Plan B: up towards Loch Etchachan and down to Loch Avon (splendid views!). Then we traverse the lake towards Loch Avon and Fords of Avon. The refuge is taken so we head south towards Lairig an Laoigh. We camp near Dubh Lochan. BTW/ the path along the shore of Loch Avon and then towards the Refuge is one huge bog.

DSC_4143-DSC_4150.jpg

img_1603.jpg

img_1609.jpg

img_1648.jpg

Day 9
We continue south towards Lairig an Laoigh. On the pass we decide that the weather isn't that bad (i.e. it doesn't rain that much) and we can go up to Beinn a' Chaorainn and then possibly south towards Bob Scott. When we reach the top we reassess the situation - the weather IS bad. We go back to Lairig an Laoigh and continue through the valley towards Bob Scott. On this memorable day I take my second, and last, bath on this trip - next one will be in Edinburgh.

Day 10
Seriously, how long can it rain? We decide there's no point in going anywhere. Around noon weather gets better. At 2PM some people arrive from Corrour Bothy and tell us that Devil's Point was not in the clouds this morning. The motivates us - we pack all our stuff in 30 minutes and we're off. We reach Corrour Bothy around 6PM and in fact Devil's Point is not in the clouds - a rare view for us. I try to persuade others to go the top today, but nobody seems to like this idea. After all "we can go there tomorrow".

Day 11
Surprisingly the weather isn't that bad (yet). We reach Devil's Point, but by the time we get to Stob Coire an t-Saighdeir everything is in clouds. Wind gets very strong which makes walking not enjoyable. At least we're not in the valley - there's no backing up now. We climb four Munros this day, a pity we can't really enjoy any of them. Luckily there's a cliff on our right side. This at least makes the navigation easy. We move north from Sron na Lairige, walk down to Lairig Ghru and pitch our tents there.

DSC_4290-DSC_4309.jpg

img_1745.jpg

DSC_4343-DSC_4347.jpg

Day 12
I guess we're a bit tired after the previous day, so we decide to take it easy and head to Ryvoan Bothy. We reach the bothy in the afternoon and pitch our tents nearby. I guess we could call it a resting day.

Day 13
We begin the day with ascent to Meall a'Bhuachaille. This is the first summit where we can actually sit and enjoy the fact that we climbed the mountain. No running from the rain or storms. Then we head north west to Craiggowrie. We plan to camp somewhere near Aviemore so we can go to town on the next day and catch our bus to Edinburgh. Navigating through a maze of fences turns out to be quite troublesome but in the end we manage to find a camp site a few hundred meters from the road.

DSC_4480.JPG

DSC_4491-DSC_4500.jpg

Day 14
Last day in Scottish mountains - just a walk towards Aviemore, shopping and going back to Edinburgh.

Summary
13 days, 169 kilometres, 7 Munros and 4 Corbetts. That's not much considering the time we had for our trip. I guess the weather took away most of the pleasure we could have had. Probably the worst thing is that it wasn't the worst possible weather. I wish we could have enjoyed the views and spent some time sitting on the summits, but I still enjoyed Scotland. I think I fell in love with it so I hope this wasn't my last journey to the Highlands. I loved vast empty spaces, lack of people but most of all freedom to roam and camp wherever I want. I wish I could see the North and I guess I'll be thinking of a way to come back to Scotland. This might not be that easy since this turned out to be a bit expensive holiday, but I hope this is a problem that can be overcome.
killy9999
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   

Re: 13 days in Cairngorms

Postby killy9999 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:34 pm

And here's a short video shot inside our tent during long waiting in the valley below Ben Avon.
killy9999
Scrambler

Postby mrssanta » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 pm

what a great trek that was. What a pity you had such grotty weather, but please do come back and experience something better next time. I'd recommend May or June.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 am

killy9999 wrote:Seriously, how long can it rain?

You haven't spent many summers in Scotland, have you????? :lol:

Seriously, this is epic stuff! Well done to all of you! :clap: Many people with far more experience of walking and camping in the Scottish Highlands would have thrown in the towel in these conditions. Respect to you for getting on with it and still enjoying the whole experience.

The Hutchison Hut has just been renovated recently so you'll have to come back and try the new version some time. I agree with you - the old one was a pretty awful place to spend a night. :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 am

Yes i agree with Graeme, a cracking effort in those conditions and well done for continueing, i'd have headed for the nearest bus stop after day one :lol: I think the jet you saw would probably be a Tornado :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Ooooh that is a bit hardcore! Well done, looks like it was fab apart from the weather, but if you mind bad weather, Scotland probably isn't the place to come.. I dont think we have ever had 13 days where the weather has been good all the time... :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mrssanta » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:43 pm

aye there was 1976
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby killy9999 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Graeme D wrote:The Hutchison Hut has just been renovated recently so you'll have to come back and try the new version some time. I agree with you - the old one was a pretty awful place to spend a night. :(
Yeah, I heard about the renovation. Hope I'll have a chance to visit it again.

Johnny Corbett wrote:Yes i agree with Graeme, a cracking effort in those conditions and well done for continueing, i'd have headed for the nearest bus stop after day one
Well, we kinda had no choice - our return plane was already booked :wink:

Johnny Corbett wrote:I think the jet you saw would probably be a Tornado
Nope, definitely not - they had two vertical stabilizers and huge delta wings, no variable wing geometry. Very much like F15. The only similar planes that come to my mind are Su-27 and Mig-29, but I think these are even less likely to come across on Scottish skies.

Regarding the weather - surprisingly to me it turned out that the biggest problem was wind, not rain. When I was planning our route I read in a guide that Cairngorms are known to be very windy, but I didn't think it will be that much of a problem.
killy9999
Scrambler

Postby simon-b » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 pm

An excellent expedition killy, very well planned and executed. It sounds like you had a great experience, despite the weather. I hope you do come back, Scotland does get good weather sometimes and it's beautiful then.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby luibnaclach » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47 am

an excellent report very well planned well done to you all

i do hope you find a way to finance your return,and that the weather gods are kinder to you :)
luibnaclach
Hill Bagger

Postby basscadet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:56 am

killy9999 wrote:Nope, definitely not - they had two vertical stabilizers and huge delta wings, no variable wing geometry. Very much like F15. The only similar planes that come to my mind are Su-27 and Mig-29, but I think these are even less likely to come across on Scottish skies.

You wanna speak to Gavin.. We passed this plane on the WH meet recently and he knew everything about the plane.. flight course, model of aircraft, date it disappeared - the lot! I wish I was interested enough at he time to remember his wisdom now... :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mountainstar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Great read...I enjoyed that.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby StephenT » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Enjoyable report, shame about the British Summer!
killy9999 wrote:I thought they looked like F-15, but I don't think they operate in Scottish air forces.

Probably will be F15's, I think they are based at USAF Mildenhall or Lakenheath in Suffolk.
Often see them over the coast in Lincolnshire and I'm sure it doesn't take long in one of them to get to Scotland for a bit of fun over the mountains :D
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Epic trip, shame about the weather.
Hopefully when you return it may be drier, look on the bright side we have to endure it all the time :lol: :lol:

As for the fighter, maybe F-35
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Eurofighter Typhoon?
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland