walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clag on Chlach a' bhlair

Clag on Chlach a' bhlair

Postby quoman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 19/09/2012

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 26.29 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSC03140.JPG
carpark

MWIS 70% chance of cloud free munro's haha well it started well as i made my way along the road to the cottage, looked along glen feshie the sun was shinning as i came to the split in the path
DSC03182.JPG
left SG or right MCaB
the righthand takes you along the river and a long walk to Mullach Clach a' Bhlair or the left path that takes you up to the Cairn.i flipped a coin heads left or tales right,heads won so away i go up the nice path to the cairn and left to Carn Ban Mor then onto the first summit of the day Sgor Gaoith.

But the clag was on the hill from 784 mtr up the path all the way to the summit
DSC03146.JPG
784mtr clag rolling in
that was it all the way to the top os Sgor Gaoith
DSC03147.JPG
just about there SG
A quick photo then am off well i was going to stay for 20 mins or so but nae chance of the clag moving on
DSC03149.JPG
summit
I know the views are superb by looking at the report on here so head down arse up and away i go kept checking the GPS evry ten mins or so had a wee detour of about 90 metres on the way back to the cairn but easily rectified. passed the cairn still nae views got to the stone shelter and things were looking up
DSC03153.JPG
first lick of snow
DSC03155.JPG
DSC03158.JPG
Fionnar Choire
then it was a easy walk up to MCaB all be it on the bulldozed track there was a guy working on the path putting in new drainage on the path down Summit pic then away i go on the long raod out
DSC03160.JPG
summit MCaB
and it is a long road down meet my first walkers of the day who were going to wild camp on or around Braeriach by that time the weather wasn't looking to good up top looked like snow was falling over that way.But on the road down the sun was splitting the trees 8) 8) 8)
DSC03165.JPG
track down
i was starting to get a bit hungry as i had only had a banana and a handfull of nuts so i started to look for a nice seat to have my bagette on egg and some coffee there was nowhere on the path but just as i got on the flat ground heyho what was left of a old croft a nice flat stone
DSC03170.JPG
lunch
sat for a good 20 mins and phone fiona (mrs quoman :lol:) it was a excellent walk back to the car except for when the rain came on 20 mins from the carpark had to put the full waterproofs on :( :( got to the cottage and the sun came back out 8) 8) 8) it was a nice drive home.All i can say is i enjoyed the walk back to the car along the river it might have been different if the clag lifted but thats the way it goes
DSC03183.JPG
the stats
this is my Actual route.
Last edited by quoman on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Clag on Chlach a' bhlair

Postby luibnaclach » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm

nice report and pics 26 k in 6 hrs you must have cracked on!!!!
luibnaclach
Hill Bagger

Postby jonny616 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Not a bad day mate. Good to be out. I think i'll do these when there is a bit more snow. :D
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 am

Great stuff Quoman, I feared the worst when I saw the start of this....I expected the full 'blowin a hoolie and belting down' report before long so I was pleasantly surprised :lol: Always nice to see a bit of snow on the tops too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby quoman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 am

luibnaclach wrote:nice report and pics 26 k in 6 hrs you must have cracked on!!!!

Thanks luibnaclach...it didn't feel that fast walking across the plateau thats where i made my time, plus i didn't stop at the two cairn just a picture and of.

jonny616 wrote:Not a bad day mate. Good to be out. I think i'll do these when there is a bit more snow. :D

Hi jonny...it would be a cracker of a walk in the snow as long as it nice and clear to get the views.

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Quoman, I feared the worst when I saw the start of this....I expected the full 'blowin a hoolie and belting down' report before long so I was pleasantly surprised :lol: Always nice to see a bit of snow on the tops too :D

Hi Chris.....Snap Chris so did i it dosn't show the wind but it was cold i had my jacket on most of the walk.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Nice report Quoman. Its a nice walk on good tracks. Shame about the clag though. Looks like winter is fast approaching. Braw :lol:
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Jolly good stuff Quoman :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really liking the look of these hills. Would they be suitable for a gimpy limpy walker with a dodgy knee?? (Not me!) :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby quoman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:40 pm

monty wrote:Nice report Quoman. Its a nice walk on good tracks. Shame about the clag though. Looks like winter is fast approaching. Braw :lol:

Cheers monty.....aye the clag never lifted by the time i got 3/4 of the way i turned round and Sgor Gaoith was showing its self thought about going back but within 5 mins it was covered again.

pollyh33 wrote:Jolly good stuff Quoman :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really liking the look of these hills. Would they be suitable for a gimpy limpy walker with a dodgy knee?? (Not me!) :lol:

Hi polly ....Nae bother the only steep bit is the walk down the track from mullach clach a bhlair to the valley.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Cheers Quoman!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pigeon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Shame about the claggage quoman ,also got these pencilled in for a winter double,6 and a bit hours is a good time,well done :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Cannie be me either,already done them. :lol:

Jezzo,you were movin.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 pm

pigeon wrote:Shame about the claggage quoman ,also got these pencilled in for a winter double,6 and a bit hours is a good time,well done :thumbup:

Cheers pigeon.....aye the clag eh the walk was a walk of two halfs clag for the first then the sun for MCaB
i would have liked it the other way :lol:

gammy leg walker wrote:

Cannie be me either,already done them. :lol:

Jezzo,you were movin.

Hi gammy. funny enough i was going to say that to polly :lol: :lol: about the time it didn't feel that fast just didn't have the views to take photos of.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby PeteR » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Real shame you had the clag for these two :( Was there a couple of weekends ago and it was glorious weather :lol: Some nice views on a clear day :D

Good to see a bit of snow making an appearance in some of your photos :D I've got some new winter boots I want to wear in :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby quoman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 pm

PeteR wrote:Real shame you had the clag for these two :( Was there a couple of weekends ago and it was glorious weather :lol: Some nice views on a clear day :D

Good to see a bit of snow making an appearance in some of your photos :D I've got some new winter boots I want to wear in :D

Hi Peter.. Thats the reason i did this walk was your report the views were superb.
quoman
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland