walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Holidaying in Shenavall..Taking in 8 munros

Holidaying in Shenavall..Taking in 8 munros

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn, Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 03/09/2011

Time taken: 23.5 hours

Distance: 46 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Holidaying in Shenavall and Taking in 8 munros

Walked in from Corrie Hallie on the Friday night with full pack i.e camping gear, sleeping bags, pots, stove and food and drink (alcoholic and non alcoholic) supplies for 2 days.
Good path all the way to Shenavall Bothy. Arrived at the Bothy with only two people there. Result. Plenty of room. The guy being from my home town. We initially left our sleeping bags downstairs until told of a mouse running about and I soon shifted my gear to a spot upstairs. Couple of drinks and early night for the big day ahead.

Started the walk at 730 am from Shenavall Bothy and down towards the Abhainn Strath na Sealga. Had to strip to the waist as the river was in spate. :shock: From here onwards the rain and wind started and didn’t stop until we reached the 6th munro. Therefore no views for the full walk :(

Once over the river headed south straight up in between the crags and on up towards the ridge up to Beinn a Chlaidheimh. Found this quite a tough climb.

Headed south towards Am Briseadh and headed up the ridge to Sgurr Ban. Walked down to the col and then up the steep slopes to Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.

From here we headed down to the ridge towards Meall Garbh and west to the Bealach Odhar and up the ridge to Beinn Tarsuinn.

From here we headed west down to the Bealach at 525, over boggy ground and up the long grassy ridge to A ‘ Mhaighdean. At this point clouds started to lift and we were beginning to see some views :D

From the summit headed north east down to the bealach and picked up a faint path through the crags to the summit of Ruadh Stac Mor.

From the summit of Ruadh Stac Mor headed north east down between the lochans and picking up a path at Clach na Frithealaidh and back towards the Abhainn Strath ns Sealga. But by this time it was dark and we didn’t know how deep it was. Time for a second strip and mgmt! happily volunteered to go first across to check the depth of the river :wink:

From here it was extremely boggy and difficult to find the bothy until we smelt the smoke from the guy in the bothy burning wet wood. :? Home to Shenavall for 930pm. Still enough time for food and a few bevies.. to ease the pain of course

Up early the next morning and surprisingly felt ok... Just for fun mgmt! suggested taking in An Teallach on the way out back to the car. So with full packs left the bothy and followed the path for 2km and headed up the ridge towards Sail Laith and followed the ridge towards Corrag Bhuidhe.

At this point mgmt! suggested me skirting west and taking the bypass path up towards Sgurr Fiona whilst he climbed the pinnacles.
With a heavy pack i was initially glad to do this but I didn’t enjoy this path as it was narrow in parts and on occasions was wishing I had gone over the pinnacles too. Once around the narrow path a good but path leads to the summit. Once at the summit I had a chat with a guy I had met on Slioch the week before and then had a half hour kip whilst waiting on mgmt! coming over the pinnacles.

Sat for a wee while admiring the stunning scenery and then headed north east down the ridge and up towards Bidein a ‘Ghlas Thuill.

From here we headed down to the bealach at 875 and east into the coire Glas Tholl. We followed the Garbh allt and back to the road at Dundonnell House . Total time 7.5 hours

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 001.jpg
Number 1 of the Fisherfields.. Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 002.jpg

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 003.jpg
number 2 Sgurr Ban

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 004.jpg
number 3 Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 005.jpg
number 4 Beinn Tarsuinn

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 006.jpg
Lochan Fada

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 008.jpg
Number 5 A ' Mhaighdean

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 009.jpg
yeeha.. number 6.. Ruadh Stac Mor

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 011.jpg

fisherfield 6munros sept 2011 012.jpg

an teallach sept 2011 002.jpg
Beinn Dearg 4/9/12

an teallach sept 2011 003.jpg
Shenavall Bothy

an teallach sept 2011 005.jpg

an teallach sept 2011 006.jpg

an teallach sept 2011 007.jpg

an teallach sept 2011 008.jpg
bypass paths

an teallach sept 2011 009.jpg
mgmt! on pinnacles

an teallach sept 2011 010.jpg
mgmt! on pinnacles

an teallach sept 2011 011.jpg
Sgurr Fiona

an teallach sept 2011 012.jpg
Bidein a Ghlas Thuill

an teallach sept 2011 014.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Holidaying in Shenavall..Taking in 8 munros

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 am

You're both off your rockers :wink: :lol: Hard enough in that weather covering the 6 (or 5+1) but to add on An Teallach on the way out..... :roll: Seriously though - looks a great way to spend a holiday and good job the weather cleared up for you latterly - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:20 am

rockhopper wrote:You're both off your rockers :wink: :lol: Hard enough in that weather covering the 6 (or 5+1) but to add on An Teallach on the way out..... :roll: Seriously though - looks a great way to spend a holiday and good job the weather cleared up for you latterly - cheers :)

Cheers...Im calling it 6.. because it was 6 when we climbed them :D
At the time they were speaking of demoting it and i was for having none of it..saying it felt like a munro, that it was a bloody tough climb and i dont think the wet weather helped
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 am

Jings MT- what a massive walk, and you're still smiling in the photos :clap: :clap:

Hoping to head up An Teallach very soon, but as a main event not just as a casual afterthought thrown in for a bit of sport!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

I'm definitely going over the pinnacles though, heard the bypass path was a bit ropey :( :(

PS no pix of MGMT stripped down for the river crossing :wink: :wink:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:37 am

mountain thyme wrote:Cheers...Im calling it 6.. because it was 6 when we climbed them :D
At the time they were speaking of demoting it and i was for having none of it..saying it felt like a munro, that it was a bloody tough climb and i dont think the wet weather helped

oops - my mistake - didn't click with me when I read it that it was Sept 2011...I did wonder why you were back so quickly :shock: :crazy: I'm sure I'll feel the same way if/when I do eventually get up here - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 am

Epic. I know what you mean about that first climb. I think it one of the toughest there is. :clap: :clap: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby dooterbang » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:35 pm

How did the wildlife react to your "stripping to the waist" moment? I heard Noah got a call :wink:

Well done on a big walk...you have some stamina girl 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 am

Great hike MT but what a heart breaker that there were no views the whole way....sickening :crazy: At least you got a glimpse of sunshine at one point :roll: I think the clag may have got to you though as that was a mental decision to take on An Teallach on the way out to the car :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mgmt! » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm

he mountain thyme, you reminiscing on your munro bagging expliots ? how do you remember all those routes n times n stuff :crazy:
you can go back and do some munros you no, you dont need to have the corbett blinkers on. an teallach in winter sounds like a good challenge, doing the pinnacles with there winter jackets on, would make up for the lack of snow n ice when you done the aonach eagach ?

polly33, there will be no more semi naked pics of me on here again, ive took an injunction out on mountain thyme for any sleeky pictures she has taken of my derriere, river crossing or otherwise, and in any case at your age you should no better :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey MT, Your a bit slow with the auld report writing are you not :lol: :lol: Good effort carrying all the gear in and adding An Teallach on the way out. Shame about the fisherfield views but you can always go back :D
monty

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm

jonny616 wrote:Epic. I know what you mean about that first climb. I think it one of the toughest there is. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Jonny... Thats what i thought - what a climb ... hard going

dooterbang wrote:How did the wildlife react to your "stripping to the waist" moment? I heard Noah got a call :wink:

Well done on a big walk...you have some stamina girl 8)

I was showing YOU how its properly done doots... one day you might be able to keep up with me on these big hill days :)

ChrisW wrote:Great hike MT but what a heart breaker that there were no views the whole way....sickening :crazy: At least you got a glimpse of sunshine at one point :roll: I think the clag may have got to you though as that was a mental decision to take on An Teallach on the way out to the car :lol:

It was a beautiful day on An Teallach so that made up for the rotten day the day before :)

pollyh33 wrote:Jings MT- what a massive walk, and you're still smiling in the photos :clap: :clap:

PS no pix of MGMT stripped down for the river crossing :wink: :wink:

Thanks Polly .. dont know about the smiling... im laughing now at the nick of me in those pics....

No pix.... mgmt! said not too as it attracted too much female attention last time...... :D

mgmt! wrote:he mountain thyme, you reminiscing on your munro bagging expliots ? how do you remember all those routes n times n stuff :crazy:
you can go back and do some munros you no, you dont need to have the corbett blinkers on. an teallach in winter sounds like a good challenge, doing the pinnacles with there winter jackets on, would make up for the lack of snow n ice when you done the aonach eagach ?

polly33, there will be no more semi naked pics of me on here again, ive took an injunction out on mountain thyme for any sleeky pictures she has taken of my derriere, river crossing or otherwise, and in any case at your age you should no better :lol:

How do i remember as i told you many a time when helping you across many munros... its all up there michael... well stored in my wee brain...
No blinkers on.. just trying some different hills :D

monty wrote:Hey MT, Your a bit slow with the auld report writing are you not :lol: :lol: Good effort carrying all the gear in and adding An Teallach on the way out. Shame about the fisherfield views but you can always go back :D

Im very slow Monty.. had a busy year..last year... now catching up :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Nice report MT, shame about the views though, you really need to walk with me more :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:27 pm

mountain thyme wrote:
No pix.... mgmt! said not too as it attracted too much female attention last time...... :D

Really???? :crazy: God love him :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland