walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdonia 3,000s - in one go!

Snowdonia 3,000s - in one go!

Postby clivegrif » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:10 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Gwenllian (Garnedd Uchaf), Carnedd Llewelyn, Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Elidir Fawr, Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Pen yr Ole Wen, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Tryfan, Y Garn (Glyders), Yr Elen

Date walked: 21/06/2002

Time taken: 15

Distance: 52 km

Ascent: 4150m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As we approach the shortest day, it is good to look forward to the summer, and perhaps a little foolishness.

The Snowdonia 3000's challenge is the hardest day trip there is in Wales, and is definitely one for the long days of June. The aim is to get from the summit of Snowdon to the summit of Foel Fras, via all of the other 3000 footers, in one go & preferably within 12 hours. Obviously you need to factor in getting to the start point, and down from the finish point! You will need to arrange transport to get you to Pen y pass and from the road that leads into Cwm Eigiau from Talybont – which obviously could be yours and your walking chum's cars.

The route summary is as follows:-
Setting off before dawn from Pen y Pass, use either the Miners Track or the Pyg Track, the latter was my preferred route. Both are fine by torch light. Aim to reach the Start line at the summit of Snowdon at dawn. GO!
Belt back down alongside the railway to the obelisk and up to Carnedd Ugain. The next part requires care, because you will be reversing the usual route over the Crib Goch, and that may be unfamilar. Falling off is still definitely to be avoided!
At the far end of the ridge, instead of dropping down the usual ascent route, bear left onto the northern continuation of the Crib Goch ridge, and follow it along until reaching the obvious scree slope left that drops down into Glas Cwm. Scree surf to the bottom and then follow the stream steeply at first, avoiding the crags of Dinas Mot to your right, down to the road by the campsite.
3 down, 11 to go.
Hoof it down the road, until you reach the big campsite at Nant Peris, then follow the clear path right, up the valley on the east side of the Elidir Fawr. It has to be said this is one of the two tough climbs of the day. Follow the path gently upwards at first, then cross the stream and follow the obvious steep and relentless path towards the summit. This section will really test the lungs. Eventually the grass gives way to loose blocks and the summit is gratefully reached.
The next section is much gentler, follow the obvious path past the Marchlyn Mawr reservoir and onto the main Glyders ridge. Miss out Mynydd Perfedd and Foel Goch, they are below 3,000 ft and you will need the energy later. The next 3,000 footer is Y Garn, fairly gently up to the top, then fairly gently down the other side all the way to the lake, and the foot of the next pull, up to the Glyder Fawr. The ascent is steep and loose in places, the slope being convex so it does get easier at top. Then a quick scramble up the blocks to the summit. Easily along the ridge, scramble over the Castle of the Winds and onto to the rocks of Gyder Fach. Past the Cantilever, and down to the point where the Bristly Ridge joins the main Glyders ridge. Take the nasty steep loose path down to the right of the Bristly Ridge (sorry, there is no time for that one!) to the col. Up the south ridge of Tryfan to meet the old friends Adam & Eve. My first attempt had to be called off at this point when a massive thunderstorm broke, and lightening was bouncing off the rock as we were cowering beneath Adam & Eve.
Head north a few yards and then down the obvious gully left. Race down to the A5 below heading towards Ogwen Lake, keeping the Bochwyld Buttress to your left.. I gather the fastest this has been done is around 12 minutes! 8 down, 6 to go.
After a short road bimble, it is back to some serious graft. Go past Ogwen Cottage and then straight up the south ridge of Pen yr ole Wen. This is steep, loose, and hard work, but when you do reach the top you have the comfort of knowing that the hard climbs are now done. From Pen yr Ole Wen, it is a simple walk to Carnedd Dafydd, and then on round towards Carnedd Llewellyn. However, when you reach the start of the slope upwards, take the faint contouring path left to visit Yr Elen first. From there, back over the short connecting ridge and then straight up to Carnedd Llewellyn. From here it is nice and easy out to Foel Grach, Garnedd Uchaf and then finally Foel Fras.
All done, hopefully it is still light and you made it inside 12 hours!
All you have to do now is get off....
The easiest way is to head north east towards Drum, and drop off right at the col and follow the stream that become the Afon Dulyn to reach the end of the Cwm Eigiau road from Talybont.
After all this, 32 Miles, 13,600 feet of climbing - you have definitely earned yourself a pint!

If you are wondering – 11 hours 35mins at the second attempt.
Attachments
IMG_1587.JPG
Snowdon frost
IMG_1591.JPG
The Crib Goch
wales 2010 087.jpg
Castle of the Winds
wales 2010 078.jpg
The Cantilever
wales 2010 068.jpg
Glyder Fach & Bristly Ridge
wales 2010 070.jpg
The way ahead - Tryfan & the Carneddau
wales 2010 067.jpg
Adam & Eve
IMG_3462.JPG
Tryfan & Glyder Fach in winter mist
Foch Goch & Elidir Fawr.jpg
IMG_3488.JPG
Ffynnon Llugwy from Carnedd Llewellyn

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by clivegrif on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Re: Snowdonia 3,000s - in one go!

Postby KeithS » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 am

Clive,
I hadn't realised that you must have a large S on your shirt and wear your underpants over the top of your trousers!
That looks like quite some walk. I am impressed.
If you go walking with me you had better check the bottom of your rucksack carefully before setting off because I'm going to put a load of bricks in there. :lol:
Good walk
Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby clivegrif » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Fear not - I'm re-living my youth here!

I've slowed down considerably...... :(
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby dacky » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Great report, some awesome pics, the one of Crib goch in particular is a cracker!
dacky
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:153   

Postby Rekrab » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:45 pm

epic stuff

my goal this summer is to do this walk!!!

MacKenzie
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby malky_c » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Nice one - it's quite a challenge, this one :)

Done this a couple of times in my teens, but never got anywhere near the 12 hour mark, I don't think (well maybe if you subtract the ascent and descent at either end, but I still don't think so). A couple of failed attempts in the bag too.

I'm guessing those photos aren't all from the same day are they? If so, then it was a pretty varied day!

Mackenzie - give me a shout closer to the time. I quite fancy finding out if I could still do it...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Rekrab » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:59 pm

will do. i've got 2 or 3 people who are interested already.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby clivegrif » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Go for it chaps!

No the 12 hours does NOT include the climb up to Snowdon, or the descent from Foel Fras. 15 hours is more realistic for that.

And you are right the photos did come from different days - I'm not sure digital cameras even existed when I did this one.... :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:21 am

Wowsers!! I would be well up for this :D

Fantastic photos and great acheivement, well done.

I could tempt mountainstar to lead me round but it would take 15 days !!!! :lol:

Thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby clivegrif » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:02 pm

Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone crack this one over the summer?

I remember there was some interest.

Cheers
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Holy cow Clive, I missed this during my move to Canada but wow, irrespective of when you did this it is an insane amount of ascent in one go :clap: You should get yourself one of these.....

Great achievement mate, stunning :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby clivegrif » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:51 am

Good Tee Shirt!
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:31 am

clivegrif wrote:Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone crack this one over the summer?

Not sure about anyone else, but I had too many other things going on to get around to it.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:13 pm

fantastic, would love to do it some day
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby pgrizz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:45 pm

It is a fine wander and well done for doing it. I have done it twice and failed once: a group of us from Teesdale (some in the Fell Rescue Team) were determined to succeed in less than 10 hours. First attempt was about 15 hours, second a failure after I fell and damaged my knee on the boulder field of Elidir Fawr.
The third time we stopped at the Chester Mountaineering Club Cottage beside the Llanberis path so started to summit Snowden for first light: we actually crossed Crib Goch as the sun was rising.
This attempt was made very lightweight carrying only fellrunning gear and Isostar Powder, freezer bags to make up drinks and power bars (2 each!!). The only difference to your route was the ascent of Pen yr Ole Wen which we did via the east ridge (Craig Loer). Time 9 hours 15 minutes: Oh to be youngish again!!!
Must admit we trained for it.
Some fantastic pictures in your report. Anyone thinking about having a go: go for it it is well worth it.
On our first attempt we saw a Broken Spectre on Crib Goch's North Ridge
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegrizz/3278025199/
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:143   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland