walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dreich day out in the Black Mountains

Dreich day out in the Black Mountains

Postby weescotsman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair

Date walked: 20/09/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 945m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ok I'd finally convinced my buddy Stevie5664 to get back out on the hills, 26 years after he'd done the WHW in 3 days !!! Took me several attempts at persuading him but since he was off this week I knew this was probably the best chance.

Hummed and hawed as to where we should go, checked various forecasts and picked Thursday as it was allegedly going to be a better day. Bad move. It piddled down pretty much most of the day. Thanks MWIS.

But at least he was out again. Picked on Stob a'Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar as 2 very do-able summits with a nice ridge walk in between. Well there would have been a nice ridge walk, if we could have seen it. The clag came down just after we started the steep climb to Stob a'Choire Odhair and never lifted. No views from the summit worth speaking about, and didn't fancy doing a ridge walk with such low cloud. Which would also be slippy given the constant rain so the decision was taken to head back down after the obligatory summit photo to prove we'd been there..... as usual with me I found it easier going down than coming up, but Stevie felt it was the other way for him.

Good news is he's now looking at a decent pair of waterproof boots as the pair he had on yesterday ended up rather damp. Not surprising really as the climb is pretty boggy and the path isn't much better..... :(

At least with the way this route is planned it's quite straighforward to just do Stob Gabhar on it's own, although it is quite a long walk out from Victoria Bridge. Maybe someone's done this one from another direction ? Is it possible at all to come from the North or West ?

A few damp pics, in no particular order now.............

DSCF1143.JPG
Up there ahead......

DSCF1145.JPG
Kinda boggy path...

DSCF1146.JPG
Drowned rat....

DSCF1149.JPG
Nearly a smile....

DSCF1150.JPG
Cloud dropping.....

DSCF1151.JPG
Dropping even more......

Quite sensible decision to abandon ship as the clag was never gonna lift with such light winds and the rain had no intentions of letting up either. Always another day.....
Last edited by weescotsman on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Dreich day out in the Black Mountains

Postby basscadet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Och aye.. I'll remember 2012 as the most dreichit year ever :(

Good effort to get out and about though.. especially after 26 years! I spose it will be another 26 now you're buddy's memory has been refreshed as to how rubbish the weather can be :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Good effort and hope it's not put your mate off. I did Stob Ghabhar from Glen Etive started at the bridge at Alltchaoruinn, took 10 hrs from there. Hadn't meant to climb it but we made a complete balls of it that day. :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby weescotsman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:01 pm

basscadet wrote:Och aye.. I'll remember 2012 as the most dreichit year ever :(

Good effort to get out and about though.. especially after 26 years! I spose it will be another 26 now you're buddy's memory has been refreshed as to how rubbish the weather can be :D

Not at all.......... he's gone and bought a pair of Keela Scuffer trousers, the same ones as me and looking at new boots as well. He's got the bug again.....

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good effort and hope it's not put your mate off. I did Stob Ghabhar from Glen Etive started at the bridge at Alltchaoruinn, took 10 hrs from there. Hadn't meant to climb it but we made a complete balls of it that day. :crazy:

Might need to have a look at that route.... but how can you not mean to climb it ? I'm perplexed...... :shock:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby pigeon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Shame about the rotten weather cos these are good hills.You could try stob ghabar from the top end taking in Meall a Bhuiridh ,Criese, Cach Leathad and then Stob Ghabar ending at Victoria bridge.Long day needing 2 cars though but if you ever fancy it and Hazel lets me out :lol: :lol: let me know :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Stevie5664 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Bring on the next mountain,lol :D
Stevie5664
Mountaineer

Munros:4   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Might need to have a look at that route.... but how can you not mean to climb it ? I'm perplexed...... :shock:[/quote]We were supposed to be climbing Ben Starav and its 4 neighbours but started at the wrong bridge, we realised our mistake half an into the walk but it was a clear day so we just continued to the highest point we could see which turned out to be Stob Ghabhar :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Might need to have a look at that route.... but how can you not mean to climb it ? I'm perplexed...... :shock:[/quote]We were supposed to be climbing Ben Starav and its 4 neighbours but started at the wrong bridge, we realised our mistake half an into the walk but it was a clear day so we just continued to the highest point we could see which turned out to be Stob Ghabhar :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland