walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CMD arête, CMD and Nevis

CMD arête, CMD and Nevis

Postby welshwalker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 21/09/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to do this as I have done both munros separately and I think the best way is to do together. Parked at usual Nevis Campsite and followed tourist path to the split. Here, I turned left to go round to north face and walked up to the CIC hut.

Got some great pics from the valley bottom and on the way up to CMD summit. I Didn't like the route up as very steep and long, it would have been better starting from further up the valley.

There were a few patches of snow on CMD but nothing much to report. The two Aonachs had a Little bit of snow on their top and I think the snow showers that came in today will probably have left snow there.

The Ben was looking good when I got this photo...

nevis.jpg

I have always been nervous of doing the arête as my fear of heights is soooo bad. I have been such a wimp with exposure to heights. It really is good fun and not too difficult, if you are worried, I think there was an easier route to the left which doesn't have any exposure. This would allow you to do the route if it were windy.

cmd 1.jpg

cheesy smile...

cheesy smile.jpg

Met a couple of folk and everyone seemed to be enjoying the good weather. This was in spite of the cloud and snow that seemed to be building. The walk up to the summit was a Little tiring with the combination of snow and boulders.

On the summit of Nevis, most folk had the look of... Is this it? Is this what we have walked up here for??? I did when I went up the tourist path and I think it was a total anti climax. It probably won't ever happen but it would be nice if they got ri of all the structures which look a bit of a mess.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
cmd 33.jpg
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland