walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Short report from a long walk

Short report from a long walk

Postby pigeon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mòr

Date walked: 23/09/2012

Time taken: 9.25 hours

Distance: 34 km

Ascent: 1253m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

90 % or greater chance of cloud free tops says the MWIS so it was of to the Cairngorms again for a longer route before the nights start drawing again.Charlie was with us for the first time since May(an easy 22 miles or so to ease him back in :lol: ),so myself,chas and Gavin were off on the track toward White Bridge just after half 7.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 002.JPG
Crisp
Weather at this point was ideal,crisp and sunny with a light frost and we made good time to White Bridge where we seen a group of lads and were passed by a guy on a bike(cheat :lol: ),these were the only folks we seen all day.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 005.JPG
Chas and Gavin en route to white bridge
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 007.JPG
Across the bridge and then follow the path for 3 km or so to a cairn where a sketchy path leads up through heather.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 009.JPG
Heathery start to the climb
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 012.JPG
T Shirt weather now
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 014.JPG
Almost at Carn Clioch mhullinn
Trudge up the heathery slopes just south of Carn Fiaclach where the going improves to Carn Cloich mhuilinn,take shelter here and have sandwich.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 015.JPG
Gavin on C C M looking towards Beinn Bhrotain
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 020.JPG
Back to C C M,gloves and bunnets on now
The walking is good from here to Beinn Bhrotain but the clag meets us at the top and we began cursing Mwis,90% my arse!!!!
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 021.JPG
90% my arse
No point hanging about so a summit pic and it's off down the boulder field where twinkletoes Gav leaves me and Chas in his wake :lol: :lol:
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 022.JPG
Twinkletoes heads off down the boulderfield
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 027.JPG
Charlie and Gavin at the 975 low point with the Devil's point behind
The skies clear on the way down though and the route to Monadh Mor becomes clear,down at the 975 low point we also pick out our steep return down Glen Geusachan.Onwards and upwards,up a short steep section to some grouse butts and the walk to Monadh Mor reveals itself,an easy stroll of about 2 k gets you to the small cairn.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 030.JPG
up to Leac Gorm,easy from here
Not the most exciting summit but by this time the skies were clear and the views to Cairn Toul, Braeriach,Sgor Gaoith etc. were excellent.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 031.JPG
distant Sgor Gaoith
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 036.JPG
Monadh Mor summit pic
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 040.JPG
Devil's point and Macdui
We retrace our steps to the 975 point and begin a steep descent where Gavin lightfoot again leaves us trailing :wink: .
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 041.JPG
steep descent to Glen Geusachen
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 042.JPG
looking back up the way down
Have a pitstop here before descending down alongside the Geusachan burn,past the foot of the Devil's point and into Glen Dee.The going here is not good,wet,boggy and slippy but thankfully a good path is reached eventually and the long walk back is plain sailing.Great views back to Macdui Carn A Mhaim and the Devil's point and we have a last break at the split in the path.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 046.JPG
devil's point and Ben Mcdui
Easy but long stroll back to the cars and a quick Tennent's or 2 for me and a cola for Chas in the Fife arms.
Bhienn bhrotain and Mnoadh Mhor 048.JPG
t shirt weather for the stroll back
A good long walk for Charlie's return and he did well to keep up with Gav who's munro count for the year is now 103 :crazy: Cheers to both of them ,lookin' forward to the next one :thumbup:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Short report from a long walk

Postby PeteR » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Nice one pigeon. Had this one in mind for a couple of Sunday's ago, but couldn't be a****d :lol: So did a short stroll up Meall Cuaich instead.

At least you got some descent weather for this walk - a long one like you say. Some nice boulders to descend off Bhrotain though I see :( A good walk for a clear(ish) day I reckon. Hopefully I can fit this one in before the darkness really kicks in :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Well done guys, a long walk indeed. That track looks far too level for me to walk along, i'd be on a bike. :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:41 pm

It was a cracking day, pity the weather was not so good to get out today again :(

1 (1).JPG

1 (2).JPG

1 (3).JPG

1 (4).JPG

1 (5).JPG

1 (6).JPG

1 (7).JPG

1 (8).JPG

1 (9).JPG

1 (10).JPG

1 (11).JPG

1 (12).JPG

1 (13).JPG

1 (14).JPG

1 (15).JPG

1 (16).JPG

1 (17).JPG

1 (18).JPG

1 (19).JPG

1 (20).JPG
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Looked like a nice long walk Lucky the skies never opened I take it Charlie is back in the groove cracking pictures
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:35 pm

A good choice of hills and some grand weather 8)
I still think we should have tried bribing that nice pony to give us a lift on the way back though :)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby soulminer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Seem to be picking them off quite nicely now :) A grand enough day you had for them. A cold and icy mid January day 2006- from Achlean Farm over Carn Ban Mor, but at least we were staying at Mill Cottage not to far away !!
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby quoman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Nice one pigeon.. we were on these two hills on saturday aswell.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Well done thats quite a long walk...that boulder field looks not very inviting...regarding the weather...hate when the forecast is wrong!! I usually end up checking at least 3 different ones :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Definitely a long way pigeon but good to see you got the weather much of the time :thumbup: The clag has that annoying habit of clearing on the way down. Nice to see the autumn colours coming through - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am

Wow, those are some great pictures you got, what a gorgeous day :)
I've done these a couple of times, but always in the cairngorm clag :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:14 am

Nice to see these done the opposite way to how we did it. Great photos! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby pigeon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:57 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice one pigeon. Had this one in mind for a couple of Sunday's ago, but couldn't be a****d :lol: So did a short stroll up Meall Cuaich instead.

At least you got some descent weather for this walk - a long one like you say. Some nice boulders to descend off Bhrotain though I see :( A good walk for a clear(ish) day I reckon. Hopefully I can fit this one in before the darkness really kicks in :D
Cheers pete,good walk for you,most could be done with headtorch along the estate tacks so you'll be ok :wink:
Johnny Corbett wrote:Well done guys, a long walk indeed. That track looks far too level for me to walk along, i'd be on a bike. :lol:
Cheers Johnny,last time we were up in the cairngorms it was 20 miles with the winter boots on :( felt much better this time with the summer ones,who needs a bike :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:02 pm

basscadet wrote:Wow, those are some great pictures you got, what a gorgeous day :)
I've done these a couple of times, but always in the cairngorm clag :?
Know what you mean about the cairngorm clag basscadet,braw when it's clear though :thumbup:
dogplodder wrote:Nice to see these done the opposite way to how we did it. Great photos! :D
Thanks dogplodder
rockhopper wrote:Definitely a long way pigeon but good to see you got the weather much of the time :thumbup: The clag has that annoying habit of clearing on the way down. Nice to see the autumn colours coming through - cheers :)
Mountainlove wrote:Well done thats quite a long walk...that boulder field looks not very inviting...regarding the weather...hate when the forecast is wrong!! I usually end up checking at least 3 different ones :lol: :lol:
Cheers guys,the weather turned out fine in the end but we feared the worst on the first top :roll:
quoman wrote:Nice one pigeon.. we were on these two hills on saturday aswell.
Seen the report quoman,fancied the Linn o Dee approach as we'll probably be up Glen Feshie soon for Sgor Gaoith,good to mix it a bit ken :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Huck,great photos as usual,shame about Monday but glad we never ventured out ,it was wild like :(
soulminer wrote:Seem to be picking them off quite nicely now :) A grand enough day you had for them. A cold and icy mid January day 2006- from Achlean Farm over Carn Ban Mor, but at least we were staying at Mill Cottage not to far away !!
Cheers.
Bet that was a bit nippy SM :lol:
Ian Bayne wrote:Looked like a nice long walk Lucky the skies never opened I take it Charlie is back in the groove cracking pictures
Aye the official photographer is back Ian :D
Gavin99 wrote:A good choice of hills and some grand weather 8)
I still think we should have tried bribing that nice pony to give us a lift on the way back though :)
Looked a bit like the horse i lost a tenner on in the 3.30 at ayr on Saturday :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland