walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Deck Chairs in the Snow on Ben Macdui

Deck Chairs in the Snow on Ben Macdui

Postby dektasker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 22/09/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 932m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We planned this walk a couple of weeks ago as Gerry was keen to add a couple of new munros to his list and Andy was wanting something that was not too taxing.
I kept an eye on the weather forecast and at first it did not look to good but by Thursday it had changed and we got a great dry day with no low lying cloud. I had done this walk previously and had done the route in the opposite direction from that recommended on walkhighlands.
Picked the guys up just after 6 in the morning and we were up at cairngorm just after 8 in the morning. The drive up was good. Gerry fell asleep in the back and Andy and I had a good blether. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=9#

Once up at Aviemore it did not take long to get our gear on and decide on the best route to go up ( the same as the last time "in reverse") . We knew there was a path at the back of the centre and we headed up the blue path. This is a well maintained path and one that the quad bike i think belonging to the actual centre uses to climb up the mountain. The only hard part is a very steep climb just before the transverse along to the ptarmigan restaurant.
ptarmigan restaurant_ by dektasker, on Flickr

This was a bit of a thigh breaker but the views towards fiacaill a’ Choire Chais are great with the sun coming over the tops which have a light covering of snow.
fiacaill a’ Choire Chais_2 by dektasker, on Flickr

Looking back behind you is the wonderful view of Loch Morlich and Lochan nan Geadas.
DSC_0025.jpg

Andy did stop for a rest and posted a few photos on his facebook account. What a man, social networking, texting and blethering. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=9#

Once at the ptarmigan restaurant you follow a good stone path up. Again the views back towards Loch Morlich and Lochan na Beinne are breath taking. The path with the snow and the frost was a bit slippy (a bit similar to walking up the hilltown in Dundee with no grit on a frosty morning).

Once at the top of the path the cairns mark the way to the summit. Funny how a couple of months in the summer can give such a different feel.
CairnGorm_way_cairns_weather_station by dektasker, on Flickr

This is a quick and easy munro to climb and I will be taking the kids on a good day as the views are excellent. I actually like the weather station and this summit is a lot better looking than the Cairnwell.
Weather_Station by dektasker, on Flickr

Gerry and Andy at the summit cairn on cairngorm
Gerry_Andy_CairnGorm_Summit by dektasker, on Flickr

Now the hard part the long slog to Ben Macdui. However the walk along Stob Coire an t-Sneach ta is great with excellent views back towards loch Morlich.
Alladins_Couloir_Loch_Morlich_2 _ by dektasker, on Flickr

Looking down Alladins Couloir and the central gully really brings home the awe of mother nature.
Stob Coire an t-Sneach ta_Alladins Couloir _ by dektasker, on Flickr

We took a picture here with the three of our shadows superimposed against the shadow itself, weird.
central_gully_with_3_Shadows by dektasker, on Flickr

Lochan Buidhe is small but looking back from where we have came looks beautiful. The lochan also acts as a good marker and points you in the right direction for climbing towards Ben Macdui.
Lochan Buidhe_ by dektasker, on Flickr

Coire Ruadh looks good and what a view. We definitely got lucky. Once up towards the summit the views of Coire Ruadh are great.
Views_Coire_Ruadh_ by dektasker, on Flickr

We had some great weather and as you can see the summit was busy. Though there was a slight covering of snow, as one of the walkers said we could easily have taken a few deck chairs and got a good tan.
Busy_Ben_MacDui_Summit by dektasker, on Flickr

The only bad thing was having to come back down.
It is a long walk back but again the views are great and we were very lucky with the weather. This is the second time I have done this walk and if I do it again I would do the walk recommended on the walkhighland site. It might take a bit of time to get to the first munro but from there to the second then to the car park are nice short bursts. The long hard slog is well behind you but the views are great
Views_from_Ben_MacDui_Summit_2 by dektasker, on Flickr

Towards_Stob Coire an t-Sneach ta_ by dektasker, on Flickr

I post on my pictures on flickr http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAmamgf (dektasker) or type dektasker into google and follow the flickr link. I always put all my links on my twitter account before I write the blog @dektasker.
Attachments
Stob Coire an t-Sneach ta &Loch_Morlich.jpg
Last edited by dektasker on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dektasker

Munros:271   Corbetts:2

Re: Deck Chairs in the Snow on Ben Macdui

Postby PeteR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Some superb photos there :D

If we couldn't have much of a summer this year then we might as well have some snow :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby David-Main » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Did this walk the weekend before, it was a cracking day but i ended up stripped down to shorts it was that nice, what a diffrence a week makes.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Awwww snow! Some brilliant photos... :clap: :clap: looking forward to see the first snow as well...that looks a lovely walk! Looking forward to do them in the future!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Some lovely photos there. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby funkyandy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:46 pm

As per usual dek nice little analogue of our lovely day out up the breathtaking cairngorm then over to ben mcduie which for me was the better of the two for picture taking especially since i was using my iphone for my pics,which have actually turned out great.

yup the walk up was a bit taxing for me legs but hey im not one for giving up easy lol.

Roll on the next one for when i get back from a well deserved break to sunny florida lol.
funkyandy
Mountaineer

Postby dektasker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Awwww snow! Some brilliant photos... :clap: :clap: looking forward to see the first snow as well...that looks a lovely walk! Looking forward to do them in the future!

That's twice I have done this walk in a few months. Huge difference with the weather but still a great walk. Hopefully you enjoy as much as I have.
dektasker

Munros:271   Corbetts:2

Postby grandnany88 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 am

Mountainlove wrote:Awwww snow! Some brilliant photos... :clap: :clap: looking forward to see the first snow as well...that looks a lovely walk! Looking forward to do them in the future!

hmm this is a very much nice info...thanks dude for sharing :clap:
grandnany88
Bird-watcher

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland