walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Photo Competition #9 Comments

Photo Competition #9 Comments

Postby RicKamila » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Please use this thread as a discussion page for the current photo competition

Comments can be left on the Photo Competition thread once voting has finished at 1159pm on October 20th.

Link to Photo Competiton #9
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: Photo Competition #9 Comments

Postby RicKamila » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:19 pm

This competition is open early as we are off on holiday from tomorrow 8)

Please read the T's and C's in post 1 of the competition thread for details on how to enter if you are planning to for the first time :thumbup:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby RicKamila » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:34 pm

One day Gammy will win it.... :lol: :clap: :crazy:

Terms and Conditions say - Photos must be your own and can be from anywhere in the world provided they are of an outdoor nature.... Well, I guess he did do it outdoors.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 pm

RicKamila wrote:One day Gammy will win it.... :lol: :clap: :crazy:

Terms and Conditions say - Photos must be your own and can be from anywhere in the world provided they are of an outdoor nature.... Well, I guess he did do it outdoors.

Thought I was getting a red card there RK...........cheers.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby RicKamila » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:

Its outdoor related :lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:

well, you could retake it outside :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Lenore » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:28 pm

Oooh lots of cool ones already! I like Xpfloyd's Elgol one as a very cool looking piece of art, but I think our ideas of what 'minimal editing' is differ quite a bit. It looks like the apocalypse! (albeit a pretty one) :-p
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Lenore wrote:Oooh lots of cool ones already! I like Xpfloyd's Elgol one as a very cool looking piece of art, but I think our ideas of what 'minimal editing' is differ quite a bit. It looks like the apocalypse! (albeit a pretty one) :-p

:lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby RicKamila » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Don't forget folks, entries are open until 1159pm on the 15th. Voting begins at midnight on the 16th.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby joonnifer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Lenore wrote:Oooh lots of cool ones already! I like Xpfloyd's Elgol one as a very cool looking piece of art, but I think our ideas of what 'minimal editing' is differ quite a bit. It looks like the apocalypse! (albeit a pretty one) :-p

i'll bet he can achieve that in 3 clicks...a matter of seconds...an amazing picture I would love to have on the wall...but Alfie :wink: ...I cannot bypass a super springer pic...so you will sneek ahead for me :D
joonnifer
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:3

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 pm

One man's 'highly edited photo' is another man's 'correctly exposed image'. ... :) I can't remember the last time I used automatic exposure on any camera. I'd be surprised if he's done any more than adjust the levels a bit.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby ChrisG » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 pm

What the human eye sees and what a camera captures differ completely, I think the photographers art is to capture the mood of the scene; if possible this should be done on site but if some post processing can help i'm all for it. The final product is what counts not what it took to get there unless of course the comp has rules on post processing, and then it's considered cheating :lol:
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 pm

BobMcBob wrote:

One man's 'highly edited photo' is another man's 'correctly exposed image'. ... :) I can't remember the last time I used automatic exposure on any camera. I'd be surprised if he's done any more than adjust the levels a bit.

I would agree that the editing is quite minimal on the shot. It's mainly the long exposure that gives it the otherworldly look.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Lenore » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:44 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
BobMcBob wrote:

I would agree that the editing is quite minimal on the shot. It's mainly the long exposure that gives it the otherworldly look.

Really? How does that work, long exposure leading to those deeper-than-we-can-see-ourselves colors? That's interesting; it makes for very cool photos. Need to get myself some better photography skills sometime soon!

Still, though I absolutely love the artsy, almost other-wordly ones, I probably even more appreciate the pictures in this contest that give me the feeling I could have been there, if you know what I mean.

It's good we all look at photographs in such different ways; makes for an interesting competition!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Lenore wrote:
Really? How does that work, long exposure leading to those deeper-than-we-can-see-ourselves colors? That's interesting; it makes for very cool photos. Need to get myself some better photography skills sometime soon!

Still, though I absolutely love the artsy, almost other-wordly ones, I probably even more appreciate the pictures in this contest that give me the feeling I could have been there, if you know what I mean.

It's good we all look at photographs in such different ways; makes for an interesting competition!

Quality of camera certainly helps with better more intense colors, as does getting the exposure correct. I would also class increasing color saturation in photoshop as simple editing :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion