walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect day for a scramble - gulp!

Perfect day for a scramble - gulp!

Postby coachmacca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:30 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 22/09/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1145m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After eagerly watching the weather reports for a week and having a few choices planned out we decided to try the double top of Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin at Loch Earn yesterday - and boy was it a big day!

Weather was the best I have seen all year so getting up at 7 to drive up was not too bad and the sun was out from the get-go giving us a real buzz as we drove up from Glasgow. Got ourselves parked up near Ardvorlich house and set off among 1 or two others with the same idea.

First half mile or so we had great company from a woman Chris and her dog on her second attempt at Stuc a'Chroin after being turned back before in bad weather. We chatted and reviewed routes then she set off as we stopped to start snapping some amazing views back down to Loch Earn. (we must an hour to every walk taking pictures...)

DSCF1435.JPG
Looking back to Loch Earn

Making our way up Ben Vorlich the sun soon started to shake off the morning chill and we were down to base layers enjoying the almost forgotten feeling of sun on our faces! As we walked we chatted about the scramble on Stuc a'Chroin and as we are relative newbies (started walking in June) we decided we'd survey once we got there and decide whether to attempt it or not.(We might be up for a challenge but were not daft)

The going up Vorlich was actually pretty tough near the top, much steeper than I expected,the wind was certainly making it chilly and Sam was finding it tough so we agreed to hit Ben Vorlich and leave Stuc for another day but with we pushed on to reach the beautiful summit ridge - we could now see the face looming of Stuc a'Chroin and instantly knew we both wanted to do it!

DSCF1449.JPG
Trig (and pole) at Ben Vorlich - feeling great

Took a few snaps for others there and got our obligatory summit snap then headed to the cairn across the ridge to find a great wee nook to sit and enjoy the vista eating Sam's amazing as always sandwiches.

DSCF1466.JPG
Me, and of course the dark Stuc a'Chroin

Made the steep descent from Vorlich and made our way across the boggy saddle with the dark rock of a'Chroin almost sneering down at us! I have to admit I was beginning to wonder if we could safely manage what looked like almost a vertical face! Starting to get closer though the shapes of the hill opened up and I could see some routes that looked (almost) doable!. We discussed it , made sure both were good to go and headed up the base to the boulder field.

We met another walker, Annette, coming down from the south side and we chatted briefly, she had decided not to attempt it so we said see ya and parted, as we moved on I looked back and could see she was now looking up with a wee glint in her eye at the rock.. :wink:

DSCF1473.JPG
Sam playing giant marbles in the base boulder field of a'Chroin

We walked around the south east face a bit until we found what looked like a route in and up so made our way across the large boulders and up a steep grass and rock slope until we were amongst the sharper rocks further up. We then found the "path"! and as we moved cautiously round who did we bump int but Annette! The attraction of Stuc a'Chroin was just too much haha! she had decided that as we were there as well to attempt it. :clap:

DSCF1496.JPG
Sam and Annette moving up the scramble

Together we moved up the scramble, found it pretty exposed at bits and certainly a test for my new skills :crazy: but we made it and a triple high-5 was in order - what a feeling! :clap: :clap:

DSCF1500.JPG
Made it! Sam (left), Annette (Middle) and me (Right)

Snaps at the summit all round then it was time to head back to avoid the low light. We opted for the contouring route out and made our way (more sliding than walking) down to the corrie and follow the very boggy rough and sometimes non existant path round the countour of Vorlich.

DSCF1508.JPG
On the way down looking back at Stuc a'Chroin

Going was slow but we made it with about and hour of light left , last off the hill i reckon! :wink:

Brilliant day, weather was amazing, scramble was incredible (if scary) and we have bagged 2 more Munro's! :clap:

Great day out :D :D
Last edited by coachmacca on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Perfect day for a scramble - gulp!

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:35 pm

It's great to see someone get good weather on those two, particularly the scramble up Stuc a' Chroin. I did it in thick clag which added to the excitement :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby kev_russ » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Nice pics :thumbup: I was up Ben Challum yest and everywhere looked barry!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:44 pm

well done to you both and Annette! :clap:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby soulminer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:01 pm

A nice blue sky day for it :) Another one on the to visit again list :)
I have never scrambled up this one :( I took my previous dog-Brodie up here on a winter walk,but took the route up the gully on the right hand side- bad day blizzard on top :crazy: But Brodie enjoyed the walk out with a deer leg in his mouth :lol: :lol:
soulminer

Postby coachmacca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Fudgie wrote:It's great to see someone get good weather on those two, particularly the scramble up Stuc a' Chroin. I did it in thick clag which added to the excitement :D

Fudgie you're a braver man than me! Really glad of the great weather so I could go for it :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 pm

soulminer wrote:A nice blue sky day for it :) Another one on the to visit again list :)
I have never scrambled up this one :( I took my previous dog-Brodie up here on a winter walk,but took the route up the gully on the right hand side- bad day blizzard on top :crazy: But Brodie enjoyed the walk out with a deer leg in his mouth :lol: :lol:

Scramble was brilliant - and a challenge I wanted us to deal with - would be impossible with a 4 legged friend I guess and in a BLIZZARD (but Ive been wrong on many a thing before :wink: ) . We came back via that gully (Glen Vorlich?)... almost drowned in a couple of bogs.. Sam was not loving it! :roll:

mrssanta and kev_russ cheers - loved it!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 pm

well done coachmacca and company, a very enjoyable report. We were up the day before you (Sat) in equally good weather. Very busy hills but a great stretch of the legs.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby coachmacca » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Scotjamie wrote:well done coachmacca and company, a very enjoyable report. We were up the day before you (Sat) in equally good weather. Very busy hills but a great stretch of the legs.

ScotJamie - Oops it was Saturday we were there - just looked at some of your pics and we did see you , at the top of Ben Vorlich you commented that Stuc was a good wee scramble and then we met you on the descent at Glen Vorlich :-)
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Great photos bringing back fond memories of the first time I was up Vorlich..... with a bunch of teenagers! :wink: It was first hill for some of them so didn't attempt the two - and certainly not with a scramble involved. Would have had Health and Safety after us! :shock:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:37 am

coachmacca wrote:
Scotjamie wrote:well done coachmacca and company, a very enjoyable report. We were up the day before you (Sat) in equally good weather. Very busy hills but a great stretch of the legs.

ScotJamie - Oops it was Saturday we were there - just looked at some of your pics and we did see you , at the top of Ben Vorlich you commented that Stuc was a good wee scramble and then we met you on the descent at Glen Vorlich :-)

I thought I recognised you guys...thought it was a Time And Relative Dimesion In Space aberration that caused us to be up on different days :D Whatever......it was a good day!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby monty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am

Excellent report. Well done on bagging both hills. Love the way your report leads in with "only doing the one" to competing the climb and bagging both. Superb. Also because you were there it gave Annette the confidence. Superb. :clap: :D
monty

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Everyone should have Annette with them on the hills....in case they fall.
:roll:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby coachmacca » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:47 pm

monty wrote:Excellent report. Well done on bagging both hills. Love the way your report leads in with "only doing the one" to competing the climb and bagging both. Superb. Also because you were there it gave Annette the confidence. Superb. :clap: :D

Cheers Monty - was just looking at the pics again - was amazing coming up the last few metres of a'Chroin into the sun!

Gotta love the hillwalking life!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:49 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Everyone should have Annette with them on the hills....in case they fall.
:roll:

Ha - sadly I didn't get her details or could have supplied them if you felt you needed the added confidence and security on a climb that only an Annette can bring
:wink:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland