walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The “Er......not so eager” ridge

The “Er......not so eager” ridge

by PeteR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 23/09/2012

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The “Er......not so eager” ridge

Postby pigeon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Well done pete,great story and pics as always.We done the same near the pinnacles,tempting to look for a by pass path when going over the top is the best bet :wink: Already looking forward to doing this again :lol: :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm

rockhopper wrote:Well done Pete :thumbup: - great photos and great detail as well - have yet to get to these two and am still worrying about it :roll: - cheers :)

:wink: :wink:

Another great TR Peter.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby simon-b » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Great report, Pete. Your vivid descriptions of the hairy bits make a fine tale, with plenty of useful information as well.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Scotjamie wrote:Nice one Pete - very similar to (though better than) my own TR and experience of the AE.
I like to think that it is more impressive to read about blouses (such as we) managing this ridge rather than reading about boulder hopping heroes. A great accomplishment. :clap:

Thanks Scotjamie. I remember your report - seem to recall it made me laugh at times :lol: There were a few moments on some of the descents where I certainly had a temporary sense of humour bypass, but a week on and I'm still chuffed I did it :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:11 pm

rockhopper wrote:Well done Pete :thumbup: - great photos and great detail as well - have yet to get to these two and am still worrying about it :roll: - cheers :)

Cheers rockhopper. I wouldn't worry too much. If I can do it, then anyone can do it :lol: The bum may be squeaky at times, but it's such a buzz to look back and see what you've just done :D Enjoy it when you get there :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:12 pm

soapy27 wrote:Nice one Peter good bit of in depth detail about the ridge still got this to do hopefully next year :shock:

Thanks soapy. Enjoy it when you get there :D I'll do it again myself one day.......just not quite yet :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:15 pm

madasa mongoose wrote:Brilliant! Really enjoyed reading that :D Haven't climbed this route in a while but recall several butt clenching moments (no swearing mind, I'm a lady :wink:). Well done all!! :clap:

Thanks MM. Sadly my language lapsed quite a few times on this walk :lol: Hopefully normal service will be resumed from now on
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Congratulations of manging your fear and doing the whole ridge...I guess it is something one can do again and again:-) Loved the report as well and had some laughs :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mountainlove. I might well do it again, but not again and again :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:20 pm

EwaMH wrote:Awesome report and photos, a really good read, not least because I might be giving this a shot in the near future so it's good to red a recent account...what are your (or anyones) top tips/manoeuvres?

Thanks EwaMH. My tip would be - don't fall off :lol:

But more seriously (although that was a serious tip) the hand holds are excellent all the way along the ridge. You really have nothing to worry about there. Personally I found some of the rock a bit too polished, so chose to come down backward where that felt more comfortable. Just take your time and enjoy :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:22 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Brilliant stuff Pete!!! Always good to push your limits. I was also a bit nervous about this one, then in late April on a blue sky day as I was heading for the Mamores, something mental happened, I spotted the ridge looked clear of any snow and thought 'Feel the fear and do it anyway!!' :lol: So glad I did, what a thrill, even been back for a wander onto the Chancellor. It really is a thrilling walk. I think I was that tuned in on the exposed bits that I didn't really notice them too much. Now if only I can talk my walking buddy into it... :lol:

Cheers lomondwalkers. That path down onto the Chancellor loked a bit slippy to me :shock: I'm sure it was fine, but maybe one for next time :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:25 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:eek! ..meant to be doing this in a couple of weeks if weather good ..polished rock sounds sketchy ..would there be any advantage wearing trainers over bulky boots do you think?? :shock:

Velcro on your bum might be better than trainers :lol: I had my standard boots and they were fine. Hand holds are great all along. It's a confidence thing really. None of the sections, taken individually, were that great. When you look back and see the whole thing though, then you cannot believe what you've just done. Don't let a big girls blouse like me put you off. Hopefully you'll get there and then you'll enjoy it like I did :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Fudgie wrote:Excellent stuff Pete and the terror (at points) really comes through :lol:

I think when I come to do these (probably next year) I'll definitely be looking to go with someone who has done it before. I like a scramble but having heard a real horror story about this one I'll be playing it safe.

Definitely one to do with a companion or two I'd say Fudgie :thumbup: So long as you respect the ridge then it should be fine. I wouldn't say it was real terror, but I certainly uncomfortable at times and knew I was out of my comfort zone and pushing myself in places. Hopefully you'll enjoy :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:30 pm

pigeon wrote:Well done pete,great story and pics as always.We done the same near the pinnacles,tempting to look for a by pass path when going over the top is the best bet :wink: Already looking forward to doing this again :lol: :lol:

Cheers pigeon. Having tried the bypass path to a point I know for sure that the actual route over the pinnacle, while exposed, was by far the best option. It was just hard convincing my brain of that fact at the time :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:32 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:

:wink: :wink:

Another great TR Peter.

Cheers gammy. Certainly up there as one of the best days on the hills I've ever had :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:33 pm

simon-b wrote:Great report, Pete. Your vivid descriptions of the hairy bits make a fine tale, with plenty of useful information as well.

Cheers simon-b. It's a good route :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland