walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A windy day on the plateau East of Drumochter

A windy day on the plateau East of Drumochter

Postby Frigate » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:18 am

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 30/09/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 865m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first walk after returning from holiday in Florida, we had planned to take the ladies to the Bridge of Orchy so that they could walk part of the WHW and we would 'go up something'. However due to call off's and a poor weather report for the west, east was the place to be and as I had not completed the two eastern hills that was settled then. After all the walk up two less demanding munros is the same as 12 miles of the WHW isn't it.

We had trained hard in Florida, driving even to cross the road, waiting in line for two minutes of speed rush and giddiness on all but two of Orlando's rides and coasters. Braving the menu of cocktails and not leaving until all had been sampled (even required a return bout at one establishment). The only real mountain climbing we attempted was the portion size at 'The Cheese Cake Factory', 'IHOP', 'Red Lobster', 'Hoolahans', 'Longhorns', 'Bahama Breeze'.......... I feel ill (again).

We followed the normal route, leaving the car in Lay-by 88 and crossing the Balfour Beatty work site and onto the hill.
P1010266.JPG
Crossing Balfour Beatty work site

We were late in starting and met several people on their way down who each cheered up with how windy the top was. It was pretty winding on the way up but with little scudding clouds and bright intervals, lovely day for a walk.
P1010267.JPG
Track up the hill

As we reached the plateau we found just how windy it was with wee Senga being buffeted about, having to hang on to my bag at one point and walk in my lee. A'Bhuidheanach first as that meant walking into the wind and being blown back, Senga's ears were suffering in the wind so put two hats on.
P1010268.JPG
A'Mharconaich

P1010269.JPG
Dalwhinnie distillary

No fancy navigation or cross country walking, stick to the landrover track and paths all the way. Had a quick 5 minute lunch stop in the lee at the head of Coire Chuirn, made the top in 2 hours 15 minutes, quick photo turn round and back the way we came.
P1010272.JPG
A'Bhuidheanach Bheag summit

The holiday lethargy surfaced and combined with the energy sapping effect of the wind made for tired legs.
As we returned to the quarries I suggest that Senga either wait for me or take slow walk down, good job I'm not the sensitive type or I may have blushed.
P1010273.JPG
Coming off Bheag looking North

P1010275.JPG
North to Carn na Caim

P1010276.JPG
South from Carn na Caim

So off we both went to Carn na Caim only stopping for juice, chocolate and jelly babies (holiday diet not quite abandoned yet). Reached the top in 1 hour 40 minutes, same as before quick photo and turn round.
P1010274.JPG
Carn na Caim summit with Meall Chuaich

During the walk I had kept a weather eye out to the west and having seen heavy showers sweep up Loch Ericht as we started the descent it was our turn.
Stop and dress up in the full kit and caboudle, buddy up and tuck everything in and pull all straps tight.
It was very cold and wet but luckily did not last too long but made the roadway slippy.

6 hours dead car to car, we did not realize how fast two short legged people had been walking no wonder we were both cream crackered. Oh well the Bothy bar would help to right that.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
P1010271.JPG
Two hats Senga
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: A windy day on the plateau East of Drumochter

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Good effort Kev and Senga,nice one to get you back into it :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:32 pm

looks like you got a good day for these two despite the wind :thumbup: good to see them in the sun as it often seems to be raining up there - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Looks much more pleasant than my experience of these two. They may be fairly benign in these conditions but one Boxing Day a few years ago they were my first real scare in the hills when walking solo with only about 15 or so Munros under my belt. It really closed in on A' Bhuideneach Beag and I did a fair amount of toing and froing on the plateau until I sorted things out.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Frigate » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Cheers Pigeon, I think Senga has got the bug.

Thanks Rockhopper, I think we were very lucky until the last hour as across the A9 the hills were in/out of the clag all day, with heavy showers flying up loch Ericht.

Hi Graeme, I was up Tolmount/Tom Buidhe a few weeks ago as well, very similar in topography. Be it clag or snow loose your/horizon/reference and yes the thought process would accelerate to buttock clenching speed quite easily. Sometimes GPS just takes the edges off things.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby quoman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Frigate... nice report hope senga's ears have thawed out.... as Greame said "They may be fairly benign in these conditions" i was up in the winter last year and if it wasn't for the GPS i would have still been there we were going round in circles :lol: :lol: not funny at the time.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland