walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mission complete, but not game over!

Mission complete, but not game over!

Postby simon-b » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Illgill Head, Lingmell, Scafell, Scafell Pike, Whin Rigg

Hewitts included on this walk: Lingmell, Scafell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 28/09/2012

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

28/09/2012: Completing the Wainwrights, Whinn Rigg and Illgill Head

On Friday, six friends and I set off from Miterdale to climb my 213th and 214th Wainwrights, the two summits above Wastwater Screes.

screes_wh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We approached Whinn Rigg, passing Greathall Gill on the way.

P9280108.JPG

P9280109.JPG

My penultimate top of the round visited, we moved on towards the finish line. On the way there were superb views down into Wasdale.

P9280118.JPG

P9280123.JPG

And so we reached my final Wainwright, Illgill Head.

P9280132.JPG

P9280134.JPG

The seven of us, l to r, were JP, Paul, Emily, Trudie, the author, Pam and Peter.

We made our way down, passing above Burnmoor Tarn.

P9280139.JPG

Returning along Miterdale, we were greeted by a welcoming committee of two...

P9280158.JPG

So, job done, and it was off to the Bowerhouse Inn in Eskdale for a meal and a pint or two.

29/09/12: The lap of honour, Scafell, Scafell Pike and Lingmell

Saturday morning at Wasdale Head, and six of us headed for England's highest massif.

P9290171.JPG

Trudie, Paul and Peter headed for Scafell Pike, while Pam, Emily and I bore right towards Scafell Crag.

scafells_w.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We ventured into Lord's Rake, grim death staring at us from above.

P9290174.JPG

But it stayed wedged in place for at least one more day...

emily lords rake.jpeg

pam lords rake.jpeg

...however, there is a significant crack low down in that chockstone, and at some point it will fall.

We moved on to Symonds Knott, with fleeting views of Scafell Pike.

P9290182.JPG

And next onto the summit of Scafell, Emily and Pam's first time here.

P9290184.JPG

Conditions were rather wild so we quickly headed down to Foxes Tarn, then descended a wet and slippery Foxes Tarn Gulley. Next we began the slog back up to Mickledore, the Ladies taking a breather.

P9290194.JPG

We reached the ridge, Mickledore, looking back at a misty Scafell Crag.

P9290195.JPG

And so we moved on to Scafell Pike. This was Pam and Emily's first time on England's highest, my seventh!

P9290198.JPG

Next we headed for Lingmell Col, hoping we might catch just one summit with a view on the day. We dropped out of the clag and climbed onto Lingmell. There we found what we had wished for, great views including Sty Head and Great Gable.

P9290204.JPG

P9290206.JPG

After a short stop we made a direct descent to Wasdale Head.

P9290209.JPG

Pam drove back towards our b and b in Eskdale, but on the way we pulled in next to Wastwater, to see that classic view of the screes. And so we looked up at the skyline where we'd been the day before.

P9290217.JPG

29 September is also my birthday. Back at the Bowerhouse Inn that night, my seven friends, the six hiking companions and Martin, Trudie's partner, gave me a present. It was a tankard with an inscription, congratulating me on completing the Wainwrights. So I must thank them for a very memorable long weekend in the Lake District.

On Sunday morning, during breakfast, one of two little friends we'd seen on Saturday reappeared outside the window.

r squirrel f how.jpeg

So, the Wainwright round has been finished, but there's no feeling of a lost target or missing the challenge. The mountains are still there, including many in Scotland and Wales I've yet to set foot on. And there will certainly be many repeat visits to Lakeland, probably trying out new and interesting routes.
Last edited by simon-b on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Mission complete, but not game over!

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 am

Great achievement Simon and a fine looking crew to share it with :clap: Glad the weather at least cleared up a bit after a wet start on day two for the celebratory lap of honor/birthday wander .

I hope you filled your tankard with some birthday cheer and toasted your success with an appropriate beverage :wink: As you say, there are still so many mountains you can chase, but for now you should enjoy your achievement :clap: :clap:

Oh, belated happy birthday too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Great stuff - looks like great fun despite the weather. Loved heading up the Rake when we did this - at least we did it in sunshine, not sure I or RTMcB would have liked it much in the rain

But Simon - you didn't stop at the Wasdale Head Inn for a proper pint? I'm aghast :lol:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Congratulations Simon :clap: Wonderful achievment made all the better with your special company
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Fantastic Simon :clap: a good walk to end on with great views. I like the idea of climbing the Pike to cellebrate :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 am

Great effort Simon,very well done.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Well done Simon and what looked like a great couple of days walking and some great photo's to remember the trip with!! A great achievement!! :clap:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby simon-b » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks very much, everybody!

Chris, we didn't encounter any bears this weekend, just a few head of cattle of both genders.

SM, the beer's good in Eskdale too. I can't send you a pint of Yewbarrow over the web, but I can send a picture of it. It's the hill on the far left in the classic view of Great Gable from Wastwater:
P9290218.JPG

LH, they're a great team. If you fancy a hike some time, there's now 211 of my second round left, so plenty to choose from.

John, England's highest two were very handily placed so it seemed the natural thing to do. Also nice to get some of my friends up there for the first time.

Cheers GLW, I'm looking north of the border for future missions.

Gary, thanks - it's a trip I'll remember for a long time.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby Simo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Well Done on completing The Wainwrights, great area to finish. :clap: How many years had you been walking them?
Simo
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:119

Postby simon-b » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Simo wrote:Well Done on completing The Wainwrights, great area to finish. :clap: How many years had you been walking them?

Sorry I'm late answering, Simo. It's many years since I first climbed hills in the Lake District. But I also did all the 214 between 30 January 2010 and 28 September 2012. During that same period there have also been plenty of repeat Wainwrights, numerous Hewitts and 71 Munros, so it was a busy 2 years and 9 months.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:13 am

Many congrats on completing the Wainwrights, Simon :clap:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Simo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:44 am

simon-b wrote:
Simo wrote:Well Done on completing The Wainwrights, great area to finish. :clap: How many years had you been walking them?

Sorry I'm late answering, Simo. It's many years since I first climbed hills in the Lake District. But I also did all the 214 between 30 January 2010 and 28 September 2012. During that same period there have also been plenty of repeat Wainwrights, numerous Hewitts and 71 Munros, so it was a busy 2 years and 9 months.

Great achievement in such a short space of time, you must have plenty of time on your hands, considering how many poor weather forecast days the lakes recieves, especially summer. well done again :clap:
Simo
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:119

Postby Circles » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Congrats :clap:
Have you been knocking off Birketts as you went? They don't show them here but I suspect your rounds have included many...thought of completing those as well?
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland