walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More with a naughty twist

Bynack More with a naughty twist

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 15/09/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 970m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Autumn holidays come and gone. One week of walking, exploring and lurking, one week of... swearing at the weather :lol: . Our hopes for camping on Skye again this year had to be put aside, but we still enjoyed some really good hillwalking on better days. I can't be too picky, we visited a few cracking places...
The balance of the two weeks:
Munros: 5 (one repeat)
Grahams: 2
Low level walks: 3
Ruined castles visited: 2
Ticks removed: 7
Money spent on petrol: too much but who cares...
Pictures taken: over 2000 :?:
Happy moments: countless :lol: :lol:
All right, all right, it wasn't perfect weather-wise, but still we had a great time! Now all that's left is writing reports... 8 of them if I'm not mistaken... I'll do my best to post it all quickly :lol: :lol:

The first walk on my list will take us to the wonderful world of rollin' rollin' mountains of the Cairngorms. Saturday the 15th was sunny and relatively warm but windy as hell. Initially we had our eyes on Beinn Mheadhoin via Cairngorm walk, but with the gusts up to 50mph over the summits we chickened :? Then I thought, why not Bynack More, an easier route with no steep sections. Kevin liked the idea instantly. So what that we had both done this Munro before? It's one of these places worth coming back to...
I remember my first visit to Bynack, in May 2009. It was my 5th Munro and the first one in the Cairngorms. I loved the whole experience, even though the path was quite boggy back then and the wind was blowing like crazy :lol: . I even wanted to scramble over to the top of the Barns of Bynack, but gave up as the gusts were too strong... I dug up photos from that day and will use them in this TR as a "compare what's changed" :lol:
Last year, also in September, we walked up Ryovan Pass and past Bynack More to climb the neighbouring Corbett, Creag Mhor. The path was then being upgraded and the workers were about half way up the slope. Since then, the work on the path progressed to the very final climb up to the summit of the Munro. I'm glad to see this route upgraded - bye bye bog feast!
Bynack More walk is very popular and relatively easy so we expected it to be busy, especially on a sunny Saturday. The day before we celebrated my husband's birthday (a round number but maybe I shouldn't give it away) with some Glen Moray whisky... I don't like whisky that much and rarely even try it, but this was good, expensive stuff and as a result we overslept a bit :lol: :lol: When we arrived in Glenmore eventually (it was about 11 am), we could forget about parking by the lodge, even laybys by Reindeer Centre were filled with cars. We managed to squeeze in somehow, got ready quickly and rushed up the glen!
Our route, the traditional way of climbing BM:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The first stage of this walk is a superb stroll through the forest, we were protected from the wind and the day looked fantastic!
It's a wide track all the way to Lochan Uaine:
The magical spot - I absolutely love this little loch!
Not much water in it compare to last year but still a charming spot:
We only took a short break by the loch and quickly picked up the pace. As soon as we emerged from the glen and turned SE towards the site of Bynack stable and the footbridge. Views opened up now and even the wind wasn't too cold.
Looking back to Meall a Bhuachaille:
As I expected, the stables site was busy with camping trekkers. We crossed the bridge and followed the excellent path up the slope:
It didn't really feel like mountain climbing at all, more like an afternoon stroll :lol: :lol:
The last moments of summer... Did we have any summer at all this year?...
The path is just as good all the way up and in a short time we saw our target hill, here it is, welcome to Bynack More:
Apart from the new path, it hasn't changed since 2009...
...and I haven't, either (hopefully!), maybe dropped a few pounds and gained a few wrinkles, but it's still me, Panther :wink:
Looking further south and east, the massive bulk of Ben Avon:
The final climb is steep and the work on the path is not exactly finished yet, but the going is easy on the existing one. There are superb views to admire, especially NW towards Strathnethy:
From 2009:
The approach path from above, 2009:
...and now:
The Braemar pass path seen here from above, crossing the boggy area of Uisge Dubh Poll a'Choin:
On the slopes of Bynack, just aside the path, there are some interesting rocks to explore. Generally, the whole mountain is dotted with strange shaped, eroded rocky formations. During our first visit, we took some more time to have a look around:

This time, we headed straight for the summit - the path is obvious:
Lovely views back:
From 2009, a group of rocks resembling a tortoise:
Beinn Mheadhoin from the slopes of Bynack More:
The summit ridge and more rocks to explore:
In 2009:
We reached the top quite quickly and it was very windy here... We met quite a few fellow walkers seeking shelter between the rocks. The gusts were now much colder, felt more like winter.
Kevin on the summit:
Unlike other groups of walkers we didn't stop on the top for long. The icing on the cake for this route is not the summit, it's the Barns of Bynack! The first group of rocks The Little Barns, can be easily spotted just below the summit area:
A picture from 2009, showing the Little Barns from slightly different angle:
My summit photo:
In May 2009, the tops of the Cairngorms were still covered with snow:

No snow this time, but still just as nice, seeing Beinn Mheadhoin in the afternoon sunshine:
Leaving other parties behind, we descended to the Little Barns, found a relatively sheltered spot and enjoyed our cuppa & cake break. Then it was time to explore the Barns!

I grabbed the camera and clicked photo after photo, from different angles. If you use your imaginations, these rocks can easily be interpreted as some familiar shapes...
Have they changed that much? Don't think so!
May 2009, Kevin posing with the Little Barns:
Even the wind was just as bad!
Kevin walked around the barns, tucked in his waterproofs:
I was a bit more adventurous, climbing one of the rocks and tryinfg to strike a sensible pose... The gusts were so strong I could easily "lay down" on the wind :lol: :lol:
Kevin did the same trick the previous time:
We walked around the Barns and had a good look at all these strange shapes. I'll leave you to some photos now, just a mind-game, like the famous Rorschach test - what can you see? What does it remind you of? :lol: :lol: :lol: Enjoy the game!

I think, by accident, we must have arrived on Easter Island?
Do I have one very perverted mind or is this picture a bit...hmmm... too naughty to comment on???
One can say, a big happy family! :lol: :lol: :lol:
To the east, the Corbett Creag Mhor. Looks very insignificant but it's another excellent walk, could be added to Bynack More on a longer day. The rocks on the summit of this one aren't as naughty as on Bynack but an interesting spot nevertheless. Highly recommended:
And so are The Big Barns, situated a short distance down the slope, below the Little ones. More bulky and substantial, but one can interpret their shapes as well.
Haven't changed at all...
I was eager to do some more exploration (not necessarily with naughty results :wink: )
This formation looks like a group of hugging people:
An older photo of the same group:
In the world of deep shadows:
Another Easter Island giant (2009):
And one more:
Do we really have to go home??? No, please! Not yet...
Instead of returning to the summit of Bynack More, we simply cut down the slopes in a straight line, to pick the Braemar pass down below us. There is no path at this point, but walking is easy enough on grass and heather. Sometimes one can even meet a little surprise...
Ptarmigan:
Once on the path, it was simply a matter of walking below the bulk of Bynack More, with a bit of ascent to the spot where the two paths join together.
Looking back to the pass:
We returned to the car after about 7 hours, which is a good time if you bear in mind all the time we spent by the Barns. And it was only the beginning of our holiday adventures! "Staycations" as they call them, but I much prefer exploring Scottish hills and moorlands than lying on the beach somewhere in tropics, getting baked alive and giving myself melanoma :shock: Kevin always had a similar attitude. In our case, stay-cations are more like walk-ations or lurk-ations. Or maybe meow-cations. Whichever one sounds best.
There's more to come of course. My next story will involve an interesting old ruin, a treat for all castle-fans :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Bynack More with a naughty twist

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Lovely report BP. I look forward to the rest of them still to come. Bynack More is a Munro well worth repeating, I'd agree with that. The first time I did it, with another Kevin, it was a horrific experience that could well have put us both off the hills for life! The second time was a brilliant day with an overnight camp below the Barns before heading on to Creag Mhor and Cairn Gorm. And this was a nice way for your husband to belatedly celebrate his birthday. 20th was it???? :wink:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm a fan of this hill - its like a playground! Plus, like Beinn Mheadhoin, you can spot the tors from so many angles elsewhere in the gorms giving it a re-assuring presence.

But BP - I expected more naughty!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks, folks :D I know this route was described many times and it's hard to please the WH audience :wink: :wink: Did my best...

Graeme D wrote:Lovely report BP. I look forward to the rest of them still to come. Bynack More is a Munro well worth repeating, I'd agree with that. The first time I did it, with another Kevin, it was a horrific experience that could well have put us both off the hills for life! The second time was a brilliant day with an overnight camp below the Barns before heading on to Creag Mhor and Cairn Gorm. And this was a nice way for your husband to belatedly celebrate his birthday. 20th was it???? :wink:

Well, not exactly 20th but he fells like it :D We were lucky this year - last year we had to wait until the following week to do anything, weather wasn't up to it, two years ago we were visiting my parents so instead of climbing he had to finish a mountain-sized birthday cake :lol: :lol: :lol:

SMRussell wrote:I'm a fan of this hill - its like a playground! Plus, like Beinn Mheadhoin, you can spot the tors from so many angles elsewhere in the gorms giving it a re-assuring presence.

But BP - I expected more naughty!

I haven't done Beinn Mheadhoin yet, keep thinking about it as it's my last Munro on Speyside still to tick off. If the tors are as good as on Bynack, hey, that just makes my appetite bigger!
Sorry I didn't fulfil your hidden naughty dreams :lol: :lol: :lol: So a special "naughty" addition, from Cruden Bay:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby SMRussell » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm

:shock: Looks like that rock has been canoodling with the wrong birds but is still up for more! Must be something in the water... :lol:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:08 am

Great to see you out having a fantastic time in the hills BP, I confess that like SMR I was expecting more naughty but your follow up was a cracker :lol: lovely stuff, I'll look forward to the next installment :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Great fun report :lol: . Can't think what you mean about those shapes in the rocks :wink: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:43 pm

great pics, thought i was on the wrong site for a minute :lol: missed out on the barns when i was up there, defo have to go back now
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland