walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

45 second ferry crossing 2 corbetts and 1 graham in ardgour

45 second ferry crossing 2 corbetts and 1 graham in ardgour

Postby robertphillips » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Route description: Creach Bheinn & Fuar Bheinn: Galmadale round

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Morvern), Fuar Bheinn

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Cille

Date walked: 27/09/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walking today is Robert and Rocky

Another mid week away day from work, started with the shortest and quickest ferry crossing from corran over to ardgour
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 027.jpg
Start of the walk
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 028.jpg
Up the edge of the trees we go, its steeper than it looks
once up on the ridge the going is not to bad,
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 004.jpg
loch linnhe
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 005.jpg
Rocky posing for the camera
arrived at the summit of beinn na cille after 1 hour 15 minutes, the rain was now coming on so didnt hang around for long.
beinn na cille 009.jpg
approach to beinn na cille
beinn na cille 010.jpg
beinn na cille summit
waterproofs on and then drooping down to the col at 460m, then up to the summit of fuar bheinn, the clag is down now, not to many more photos now.
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 014.jpg
fuar bheinn summit
headed NNW to aviod the crags and down to the col at 540m, and up to the summit of creach bheinn.
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 016.jpg
creach bheinn summit
quick cup of tea then headed down the ridge towards the col at 710m, then headed down through the crags towards glen galmadale to pick a faint path along the side of the the river.
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 017.jpg
loch linnhe from glen galmadale
fuar bheinn,creach bheinn 021.jpg
Rocky looking tired
the rain is getting heavier and rocky is not too happy about it, so quickly made our way back to the car to catch a ferry. :) :lol:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Re: 45 second ferry crossing 2 corbetts and 1 graham in ardg

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Interesting, Robert.

I'll be up there the week after next and have these on my hit list. You may not have had a clear enough view but, are they do-able from Glen Tarbert (via An Coire Dubh or Allt Duibhleach Riabhach or Allt Coire nam Frithallt)?
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Still to venture to this area and this walk looks not bad. Cheers :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby robertphillips » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Didnt really see a lot, but i believe you can do both corbetts from that direction with a higher than sea level start. 8)

Regards

RP
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:50 pm

robertphillips wrote:Didnt really see a lot, but i believe you can do both corbetts from that direction with a higher than sea level start. 8)

Regards

RP

That is 20mins from my house a bhalaich ..ain't i lucky ?. I ve been on these a few times ,did you see the camp on Creach Bheinn ? ,grand for a high camp :) ..... give me a shout if your in the area again :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:03 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Still to venture to this area and this walk looks not bad. Cheers :)

Another good report from malkyc on this walk here:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4506

Hope to have one to add in a fortnight or so.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 am

robertphillips wrote:Didnt really see a lot, but i believe you can do both corbetts from that direction with a higher than sea level start. 8)

Regards

RP

Cheers, Robert.
The higher start had crossed my mind, just wasn't sure about the ground from the road, I'll take a closer look when driving between Ardgour and Strontian before tackling this.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 am

You can approach these from a number of directions , i ve used Coire Ghardail ,rough and means retracing steps from Beinn a Cille back over to Creach Bheinn ,but you do gain height. An alternative is to approach from Gleann Tairbeart (sea level) or Braigh Liddesdail (1000ft) road from Sron an t Sithein - Loch Alainn a long day though
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:00 pm

Collaciotach wrote:You can approach these from a number of directions , i ve used Coire Ghardail ,rough and means retracing steps from Beinn a Cille back over to Creach Bheinn ,but you do gain height. An alternative is to approach from Gleann Tairbeart (sea level) or Braigh Liddesdail (1000ft) road from Sron an t Sithein - Loch Alainn a long day though

Thanks. I'll have a look at the walk-in from Glen Tarbert on the way over but, looking again at the map, I imagine the drive down the B8043 with the steep slopes on one side and Loch Linnhe on the other would only enhance the walk so, Glengalmadale is looking favourite right now.

I'm over for a week and also hope to get at least 2 of Beinn Resipole, Garbh Bheinn and/or Sgurr Dhomnuill while in the area (along with some low-level stuff with the family at Camas Nan Geall/Bourblaige and Meall Sanna, etc.)...without upsetting the family / hill time balance so, weather permitting, it'll be early starts for me.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby robertphillips » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Will do collaciotach, seen that camp and read abuot it somewhere 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:
Collaciotach wrote:You can approach these from a number of directions , i ve used Coire Ghardail ,rough and means retracing steps from Beinn a Cille back over to Creach Bheinn ,but you do gain height. An alternative is to approach from Gleann Tairbeart (sea level) or Braigh Liddesdail (1000ft) road from Sron an t Sithein - Loch Alainn a long day though

Thanks. I'll have a look at the walk-in from Glen Tarbert on the way over but, looking again at the map, I imagine the drive down the B8043 with the steep slopes on one side and Loch Linnhe on the other would only enhance the walk so, Glengalmadale is looking favourite right now.

I'm over for a week and also hope to get at least 2 of Beinn Resipole, Garbh Bheinn and/or Sgurr Dhomnuill while in the area (along with some low-level stuff with the family at Camas Nan Geall/Bourblaige and Meall Sanna, etc.)...without upsetting the family / hill time balance so, weather permitting, it'll be early starts for me.

Aye i did an overnight on Resipole ..fine hill .. take the family into the woods and up to the mine in Ariundle under Dhomhuill grand an easy going ,Glengamadale is a good route another cracking hill is Bheinn Mheadhoin "only" a graham but as fine as you ll get round here :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:14 am

Collaciotach wrote:
BoyVertiginous wrote:

Aye i did an overnight on Resipole ..fine hill .. take the family into the woods and up to the mine in Ariundle under Dhomhuill grand an easy going ,Glengamadale is a good route another cracking hill is Bheinn Mheadhoin "only" a graham but as fine as you ll get round here :D

Thanks again for the tips and shall see what I can do. I remember Mheadhoin from a previous stay in Ardtornish, pretty sure I saw it from Beinn a Chaisil when fishing Lochs Tearnait and nan Clach.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland