walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall

Ring of Steall

Postby gman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 12/09/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 16 km

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ring of steall 12-9-2012 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather was OK on Wednesday, so got these in while we've still got some light in the evening. There's a gap in the route above as GPS couldn't find a satellite at the start of the walk. Car park was fairly busy even on a Wed. The path is easy to follow from the far end of the car park, through trees with a burn/waterfall below. Soon got to a valley & GPS started working:

Got to the cable bridge, there were a few guys there so I thought I'd be able to check out tightrope techniques before trying it, but they just waved me on - and gave a round of applause when I reached the other side!

Followed path to waterfall, quite a strong current so I crossed at a shallow bit further down. Also a bog, knee deep in parts. Not even on the hill yet & already it's more interesting than Ben Chonzie last week :)

Steep stony path zig-zags upwards:

Got up onto the ridge and saw the ring - Am Bodach, Sgurr an Iubhair, Sgurr a Mhaim:

Getting colder up here, rain on and off but not too windy. First cairn at An Gearanach:

Some scrambly bits up here, quite an interesting ridge:

Looking back from cairn on Stob Coire a'Chairn:

Onwards to Am Bodach:

Glen Coe hills from the top of Am Bodach:

And Pap of Glencoe:

Cairn and Devil's Ridge:

Path initially rocky the grassy leading up to Sgurr an Iubhair:

Sgurr a Mhaim from the top:

More Mamores, Stob Ban:

Devil's Ridge:

Tricky step, got halfway along but rock was wet & a bit slippy - and a mountain rescue helicopter was flying past - so I bottled it and took the bypass path:

Looking back to the ridge:

Sgurr a Mhaim had been in and out of cloud all day, cairn:

Stob Ban again:

Descent route initially on loose scree then wet grass so I fell over a couple of times. Didn't take too long to get to the path, it was getting much warmer the lower I got and the midges made first appearance of the day.

Looking over towards Ben Nevis:

Got back to the road, but decided to take the path instead of walking on the single track road. The map showed a bridge but the path veered upwards and away from the river so I thought I'd either missed the bridge or it had been removed. Anyway I backtracked and found a reasonably safe place to cross the river, getting boots totally soaked. Followed the single track road and soon saw the bridge d'oh! :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ring of Steall

Postby Fudgie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 pm

I was a few miles away from you at Corrour and it looked as if you got a fair bit of rain and hail. Doesn't seem too bad in your pictures :D

Cracking picture of Ben Nevis :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:55 pm

One of the classic rounds this and looks like you got not a bad day for it, nice one. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Fudgie wrote:I was a few miles away from you at Corrour and it looked as if you got a fair bit of rain and hail. Doesn't seem too bad in your pictures :D

Just a couple of showers, definitely getting colder up there though!

Johnny Corbett wrote:One of the classic rounds this and looks like you got not a bad day for it, nice one. :D

Cheers, conditions were ideal apart from a boggy start. Had to keep an eye on the clock too as the A82 closes between Crianlarich & Tarbet at 10pm.
gman

Postby budvarone » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Excellent walk! We got as far as Steall Falls a few weeks a go, we'd walked from Glen Nevis campsite! I'm unfamiliar with the area but thought the peaks on that side of the road would make for a crackin' day out! I'd have chickened out at the bridge tho!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Some cracking shots and views on that one, gman.

The more reports I see on the ring, the more I want to have a go. A must for next year on a good day.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Great pictures of a gret route in a great area :D Still one of my favourite days on the hills. Glad you got such a good day for it too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:55 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Some cracking shots and views on that one, gman.

The more reports I see on the ring, the more I want to have a go. A must for next year on a good day.

PeteR wrote:Great pictures of a gret route in a great area :D Still one of my favourite days on the hills. Glad you got such a good day for it too :D

Cheers, had a few miserable days on the hills so decided to wait for reasonable weather :D
gman

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Whit a man gman................pictures are de bomb 8). Awesome :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby gman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Stuart Angus wrote:Whit a man gman................pictures are de bomb 8). Awesome :thumbup:

Cheers, can't go wrong in the Mamores :D
gman

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:46 pm

great pictures, will keep this report in mind when i go for this round
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Great pics of the ridges :D . Yet to do this route but appetite whetted :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ted goater » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Lovely photos. I came down off An Gearanach some years ago, after doing 'horseshoe' starting Binnein Beag, so had to cross 'Water of Nevis' both ways. Higher up on way out - easy. On return, wire bridge - no way! It was c 9pm on a summer evening, so boots & socks off for a slippery paddle. Almost there before losing it, sitting down and wet trouser seat. Fortunately no-one else around!
ted goater

Munros:148   

Postby joekell » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:19 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Great pics of the ridges :D . Yet to do this route but appetite whetted :D .
gman wrote:
ring of steall 12-9-2012 actual.gpx

Weather was OK on Wednesday, so got these in while we've still got some light in the evening. There's a gap in the route above as GPS couldn't find a satellite at the start of the walk. Car park was fairly busy even on a Wed. The path is easy to follow from the far end of the car park, through trees with a burn/waterfall below. Soon got to a valley & GPS started working:

Got to the cable bridge, there were a few guys there so I thought I'd be able to check out tightrope techniques before trying it, but they just waved me on - and gave a round of applause when I reached the other side!

Followed path to waterfall, quite a strong current so I crossed at a shallow bit further down. Also a bog, knee deep in parts. Not even on the hill yet & already it's more interesting than Ben Chonzie last week :)

Steep stony path zig-zags upwards:

Got up onto the ridge and saw the ring - Am Bodach, Sgurr an Iubhair, Sgurr a Mhaim:

Getting colder up here, rain on and off but not too windy. First cairn at An Gearanach:

Some scrambly bits up here, quite an interesting ridge:

Looking back from cairn on Stob Coire a'Chairn:

Onwards to Am Bodach:

Glen Coe hills from the top of Am Bodach:

And Pap of Glencoe:

Cairn and Devil's Ridge:

Path initially rocky the grassy leading up to Sgurr an Iubhair:

Sgurr a Mhaim from the top:

More Mamores, Stob Ban:

Devil's Ridge:

Tricky step, got halfway along but rock was wet & a bit slippy - and a mountain rescue helicopter was flying past - so I bottled it and took the bypass path:

Looking back to the ridge:

Sgurr a Mhaim had been in and out of cloud all day, cairn:

Stob Ban again:

Descent route initially on loose scree then wet grass so I fell over a couple of times. Didn't take too long to get to the path, it was getting much warmer the lower I got and the midges made first appearance of the day.

Looking over towards Ben Nevis:

Got back to the road, but decided to take the path instead of walking on the single track road. The map showed a bridge but the path veered upwards and away from the river so I thought I'd either missed the bridge or it had been removed. Anyway I backtracked and found a reasonably safe place to cross the river, getting boots totally soaked. Followed the single track road and soon saw the bridge d'oh! :lol:

great looking walk been trying to get up there for a while will do soon
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby monty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:38 pm

A festival of photos on one of my fav rounds Gman. Loved it :D
monty

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland