walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Views of The Bad Boys Penis, ahem...

Views of The Bad Boys Penis, ahem...

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 22/09/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 648m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

* No actual male genitals included.

Headed to Braemar a few Saturdays ago to attempt Carn A Mhaim and Ben Macdui from Lin of Dee...

Left at 5am from Dundee, didn't eat breakfast (uh oh).

Walked via stunning Glen Lui, with the views slowly opening up, and the Scots Pine glistening in the early morning sunshine. Although bright it was FREEZING! It's quite a long donder along, loads of folk were cleverly on bikes, might consider this in future.

I'll let the piccies speak for themselves...

20120922_093409.jpg
Glen Lui

20120922_094408.jpg
Beautiful Lui Water

DSCN1932.JPG

DSCN1934.JPG

DSCN1942.JPG

We reached the Derry Lodge soon enough, what a pity it's all boarded up as it's alovely building in a pretty magic setting. Stopped for some breakfast biscuits and a drink. Chatted to a guy here who had stayed the night before at Bob Scott's and was off up Macdui for the 5th or 6th time to do some photography. He was on his second round of the Munros ( I was impressed). Loads of familys camping round about, and what appeared to be a few DoE expeditions. Great seeing so many kids out enjoying the outdoors.

We continued over the 'boggy' bit, it wasn't too bad but I imagine it could be a nightmare after a spell of rubbish weather. Onwards along Glen Luibeg, towards the Luibeg burn, which we crosses by hopping over the boulders...I however slid over on my bum at one bit and managed to rip a hole in my trousers (right of my erse cheek :( ) Och well excuse to buy a better pair I suppose! Any Recommendations? :lol:

20120922_100543.jpg

DSCN1941.JPG

Past here the path begins to climb slowly up the shoulder of Carn A Mhaim, getting suddenly quite steep. I found this a real slog, and was sweating like mad...so off came the layers, and ended up in a T Shirt despite it being quite cold (uh oh). I struggled up, but started to feel really rubbish (uh oh). As the path starts to level out just below the crags, I started feeling shakey and dizzy, and got quite, what I can only decribe as, 'boaktastic'. I struggled onto the summit, finding it difficult to even get one foot in front of the other by now. Mike quickly realised I wasn't right and swamped me with layers, got me out of the wind, forced food into me and made me do the 'helicopter' to get the blood flowing...10 minutes later I felt better, but absolutely shattered. Lesson learned...starting in negative calories and letting yourself get cold does not a happy hillwalker make! ( I'm a terrible nurse!)

Oh yeah.... the summit.....FANTASTIC! It really feels as though you are dwarfed by the surrounding big boys of Macdui, Cairntoul and Braeriach, just wonderful. And yes of couse the Devils Penis ( Did anyone else know this is it what it was originally named until Queen Vic's sensibilities were offended...I'm sure mikes winding me up??? )...what a great looking hill! The Lairig Ghru looked enticing, thats one for another time definately. Again I'll let the photos speak for themselves...

DSCN1856.JPG
Devils Point...or Penis apparently!

DSCN1863.JPG

DSCN1868.JPG

DSCN1877.JPG

DSCN1878.JPG

DSCN1883.JPG

DSCN1887.JPG

DSCN1899.JPG

At this point I had decided it would probably be a bad idea to continue on to Ben Macdui since I still felt crap, I was very aware we had a long walk back, and on reflection I think this was the right decision...The Big Macdui will still be there another time. We did however have a we wonder along the ridge. Quite an interesting wee ridge it is as well. Had some fun posing here...

DSCN1908.JPG

DSCN1910.JPG

DSCN1920.JPG

DSCN1923.JPG

After that we headed back the way we had came, and I must admit by the time we reached Derry Lodge I was cursing the lucky bikers scooting past us...however by walking we had all the time in the world to savour those views backalong Glen Luibeg....

DSCN1946.JPG
Last edited by shelbyandamonkey on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Views of The Bad Boys Penis, ahem...

Postby quoman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi there,you done the right thing by coming back down.... i have had the same experience 3 time on the hills not a good feeling i think its low blood sugar levels... some nice photo's as well.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby skuk007 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Some great pictures there.

Did the right thing turning back and not going for Ben Macdui, the climb up after the ridge is steep and quickly turns into a large clamber over boulders.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Going out walking is definitely an excuse for a cooked breakfast.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 pm

guilt free fry up next time it is then! :D
shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Postby Reginald Rat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 pm

...I'd heard it was re-named by the Victorians as well.

The Paps of Jura are another good anatomical location... I'm sure there must be plenty more.
Reginald Rat
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:3

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 pm

shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Postby icemandan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Lochnagar is another Victorian bowdlerisation. The mountain was called Cac Carn Mor which translates as Big Pile of S**t. Couldn't have that in the Balmoral Estate so they took the next nearest name on the map, the nearby loch.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby soapy27 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:58 am

Nice photos there , I loved this walk views are amazing some of the best in the Cairngorms :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby gman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Great report, looks like a good walk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Point
The name is derived from Gaelic, meaning "Penis of the Demon". The English name is a result of a visit to the area by Queen Victoria. She asked her local ghillie, John Brown, to translate the name; to avoid embarrassment he gave a euphemistic answer.

See also
The Devil's Arse, Derbyshire, England
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland