walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh

Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby gman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 04/10/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

meall-ghaordaidh actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Did this on Thurs, quick walk and quite enjoyable despite being pretty undramatic from Glen Lochay. I was first at the car park at 10am, but more walkers appeared as the day went on - not much room to park & late arrivals tend to squeeze in so it might be tricky getting the car back out.

Walked back to gate with sign for hill:

Then continued on towards the gate/stile, the shoulder is the route up:

Snowy peaks down Glen Lochay:

Cairn & pole mark the spot where the path leaves the track:

Grassy hill, not too wet and the gradient eases off about 600m:

Camera breather & view back down:

Less steep now & I could see the top. There are peat hags up here so it could get really boggy if wet:

Met a descending woman who said views at the top were great, I could see cloud moving in so I tried to get to the cairn before the clag set in. Lawers range:

Top was in cloud when I got there, had a sandwich and got the sticks ready for descent when suddenly the views opened up, camera out for a few snaps:

Could see a half dozen deer running about on the Glen Lyon side, headed back down and met a couple who'd been talking to a stalker - he asked where they were headed and told them this hill was OK today but Glen Lyon hills were best avoided. I met him later too & he was pretty friendly so I nearly told him where I'd seen the deer :D

Quick descent, met a few others on the way up. Bit of snow at the top, easily avoided but enough for a few snowballs. Back to Glen Lochay:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby Paula Hubens » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Those autumn colours are stunning! Good timing as well to get views at the summit. :D
I did this one from Glen Lyon, which also makes for a great walk.
Paula Hubens

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland