walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Wee Guy" (6 yrs) bags his 22nd Munro in style!

"Wee Guy" (6 yrs) bags his 22nd Munro in style!

Postby davedanson28 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have had a good few weeks off climbing due to other commitments (mainly Kyle’s footie competitions). However we hit the hills last weekend and had to turn back 150m from the summit of Ben More due to the wind! I and Kyle where gutted about this “failure” but better safe than sorry, the hill will be there another day! :( The trouble is when you are six years old, you’re not very heavy so a 30mph wind is like a 70mph to an adult I reckon! :crazy: Anyway we had seen that the forecast for this weekend was probably the best for a long time so we decided to head for Perthshire on Friday evening after work and school. :D We arrived in the dark and set up the tent next to the River Lyon, it really is a beautiful area of the country over there.
DSC01452.JPG
Breakfast at camp Danson!
We planned on tackling the Carn Gorm in the morning and possibly trying to complete some of the circuit which includes four Munros in total. We were up early and had breakfast then hit the hills just before 9am, there where another couple of guys heading off just in front of us, but other than that it seemed pretty quiet! The weather was slightly over cast but I could see the blue skies in the distance, great, hopefully the waterproofs would stay in the bag today.
DSC01462.JPG
So it begins!
We left the car park at Invervar and headed up the path towards the woods, we followed the Invervar burn all the way up, instead of taking the “normal route” over the rickety metal bridge, we tackled Carn Gorm head on from its east side. Kyle’s idea, this was a direct route, but probably saved us quite a lot of time.
DSC01471.JPG
Looking back to the rickety metal bridge!
We almost climbed the An Sgorr first, but I managed to persuade the wee guy this was not a good idea, phew! :crazy:
DSC01474.JPG
The almost "routine" 1 hour walking Mars bar!
DSC01482.JPG
A spot of burn jumping!
The walk up the valley was relatively pleasant, a good path / track and not very steep at all. Once we started to go up the side of the Carn Gorm, layers started getting stripped quite quickly, it was STEEP! :shock: Once we hit the summit the wind soon cooled us all down, we got into shelter around the summit and had a bite of lunch and looked at the maps etc.
DSC01488.JPG
Kyle's 19th Munro!
DSC01489.JPG
Panoramma Shot from Carn Gorm.
We decide that we would push onto number two, maybe three but four looked so far away from us I never thought Kyle would complete all four, I was to be proved wrong AGAIN! :D Fully recharged after our “direct” route, we set off for Meall Garbh, it was a straight forward route, and relatively flat “boring” I think is the words which Kyle used! However the views where immense given the clear skies. I got snap happy with my camera on this outing. Summit two was quickly reached, mainly because the wee mountain goat ran most of the downhill sections, god help me!
DSC01494.JPG
"Wee Guy" moving very fast down hill!
A couple more photos and some chatting to folks we had bumped into then onto number three.
DSC01501.JPG
Scrap heap challenge!
It was a relatively easy walk onto Carn Mairg, we took our time and had some good laughs along the way, mainly due to the songs which Kyle was singing. Kid’s imaginations are wicked, where does it come from?
DSC01503.JPG
Poser on a mountain! He's already bagged the Lawers range in the background!
Makes me laugh anyway. One thing I have now learned about Kyle is his ability to keep walking, he has even started saying to me “dad, just keep on pick them up and putting them down” his words and what he is referring to is my feet, fantastic! :D Once we had reached the third for the day I had already got a route down off the hills sorted on the map……….how dare I suggest this to Kyle, he wanted to complete the round and “bag” the fourth. Not to disappoint we marched on to complete the round, we hit the fourth summit, Creag Mhor at 3.45pm and was back in the car park by 5.15pm.
DSC01516.JPG
Kyle and "Munro Marley", Marley's bagged 34 this year!
DSC01527.JPG
Number 4 for the day, Kyles 22 Munro, Amazing!
To sum up this day…..we camped in the wilds the night before, bagged four Munros (18KM, 1300m ascent in just over 8 hours)……not bad for a six year old. We are already planning the next outings, I can’t wait. Kyle has now completed 22 Munros since April (126KM distance, 12,000M ascent) and still going strong.
DSC01532.JPG
Glen Lyon, down we go!
Hope you enjoy our latest adventures….to be continued on a hill somewhere soon! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: "Wee Guy" (6 yrs) bags his 22nd Munro in style!

Postby robertphillips » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Well done to you and the young mountain goat. 8) :clap:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Moobli » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Brilliant report, great photos, gorgeous dog - and you have one very amazing wee guy there :clap: :clap: :clap:
Moobli
Wanderer

Postby alfie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 pm

haha was up that route today and we knew you had been there!2nd time round they 4 and it was a brilliant day the views were fantastic!haha brilliant dave! well done the wee man again! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Logan_Rogue » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Great report

That wee guy is unstopable!

Logan and Rogue say hi to Munro Marley!
Logan_Rogue
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:4

Postby simon-b » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 pm

A good effort. At this rate, Kyle will be compleating while you can still call him Wee Guy. Well done, Dave and team.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby quoman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:25 pm

superb :clap: :clap: :clap:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:57 pm

robertphillips wrote:Well done to you and the young mountain goat. 8) :clap:

Cheers Robert..the goat sure keeps me going! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Moobli wrote:Brilliant report, great photos, gorgeous dog - and you have one very amazing wee guy there :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks very much for the kind words. :D He certainly is something special, just hope he sticks at it! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 pm

alfie wrote:haha was up that route today and we knew you had been there!2nd time round they 4 and it was a brilliant day the views were fantastic!haha brilliant dave! well done the wee man again! :clap:

Ha, ha Alfie....Is this the reason why:
DSC01526.JPG
The views where amazing! Second time round, well done to you! :clap: Anyway thaks for the comments! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Logan_Rogue wrote:Great report

That wee guy is unstopable!

Logan and Rogue say hi to Munro Marley!

Thanks for the comments, Marley says Woof back! :lol: :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm

simon-b wrote:A good effort. At this rate, Kyle will be compleating while you can still call him Wee Guy. Well done, Dave and team.

Thanks Simon, compleating is his mission.....god help me! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 pm

quoman wrote:superb :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers quoman! :wink: :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby weescotsman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Wondered where you had got to over the last few weeks, bit of rest for you and Marley at least... :lol:

These were my first ever munro's but only did the 3; couple of the guys did the 4th one and they probably had an easier descent than us so I still have the final one to do but they are such a nice group I'll probably do all 4 again next year.

Wee man is catching up on me, I'll need to get a few more under me belt before winter kicks in. Doing Ben Ime on Saturday and that's me completed the Arrochar Alps at least.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby alfie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:58 am

davedanson28 wrote:
alfie wrote:haha was up that route today and we knew you had been there!2nd time round they 4 and it was a brilliant day the views were fantastic!haha brilliant dave! well done the wee man again! :clap:

Ha, ha Alfie....Is this the reason why:
DSC01526.JPG
The views where amazing! Second time round, well done to you! :clap: Anyway thaks for the comments! :D

aye bud thats the reason!gave us a guid wee laugh!aye 2nd time round and still took wrong path fae last munro!but this time wasnt bad as a was keepin eye on gps!an stuc 3 next for sure! :D :D
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland