walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Beinn Sgulaird from Glen Etive

Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Beinn Sgulaird from Glen Etive

Postby gman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 23.5 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Sgulaird actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Decided to get these 2 on Saturday, thought they would be easyish from Glen Etive but it's pathless, boggy terrain between the hills.

Parked where the road ends and headed up the 'path' at the side of the forestry - it's pretty muddy on the way up and slippy on the way down, which was fun in the dark :D

Loch Etive & Ben Cruachan:

Beinn Fhionnlaidh from the top of the woods:

If it got dark I could follow the tree fence back from Fhionnlaidh, so went for Sgulaird first:

It was up/down most of the way with bogs and long grass peppered with knee deep holes to keep thing interesting, reached Sgulaird and had a look back:

Read other reports where folks had gone up the right hand shoulder, so I did the same. Went over Stob Gaibhre instead of going round which was unneccesarry ascent and added time:

From top of Stob Gaibhre:

Hill was great with scrambly bits etc:

Rewarded with fine view from the top of the shoulder:

Final peak:

And the route over to Fhionnlaidh, seems a bit further now:

Loch Creran, Lismore, Mull from the cairn:

Descended between the shoulders and started thinking about leaving Fhionnlaidh till another day - would be walking past the descent path, ground was hilly & boggy and I might run out of daylight. decided to walk part of the way & see how I got on. Nice views still:

Had spotted a track between the 2 hills, looked like those 8 wheeler all terrain buggies had been around here, so decided to follow it as they probably avoided the steep bits. Over to Fhionnlaidh:

Got to Fhionnlaidh and was running on fumes, so decided to head back to car while it was still light. After a snickers I got a cocoa boost so thought I'd try going up and turn around at 5:30, so I wouldn't be walking too far in the dark.

Made it to ridge:

Again the ridge was great, bit of scrambling (or bypass path), cairn at 5:30 exactly:

Sgor na h-Ulaidh:

Great views as the sun goes down, Starav:

Oh, yeah the sun's going down - head back to bealach and scoped the walk back to the trees, there's a ravine at the forestry on the far right so I had to backtrack a bit and cross a burn:

Looking over to Sgulaird from the bottom of Fhionnlaidh:

Made it to trees and followed the fence, didn't need the torch till the last path down the side to Loch Etive - this bit seemed to take forever as it was too muddy/slippy to move fast. And the deer were making weird noises which reminded me of American Werewolf in London :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Beinn Sgulaird from Glen Etive

Postby mrssanta » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:45 pm

beautiful light on the hills there
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby quoman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi gman...That's a big walk and a fine report with quality picture's.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby soulminer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:05 pm

A fine effort and report. The view of these two from the top of Trilleachan does indeed show how much of an effort is required for to summit both on the same walk. The views in all directions,as you have shown in your pics, are to savour. Good memories from this area, cheers for the reminder :)
soulminer

Postby gman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 am

mrssanta wrote:beautiful light on the hills there

quoman wrote:Hi gman...That's a big walk and a fine report with quality picture's.

soulminer wrote:A fine effort and report. The view of these two from the top of Trilleachan does indeed show how much of an effort is required for to summit both on the same walk. The views in all directions,as you have shown in your pics, are to savour. Good memories from this area, cheers for the reminder :)

Cheers, bit of a long trek for me but scenery looking spectacular at this time of year :D
gman

Postby PeteR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:44 pm

That's some effort getting these two done in the one outing :clap: Well done :D Some great autumn colours coming through too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby 147cjl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:49 pm

nice pictures and a nice route as well.
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Another couple of hours of daylight and could've added on Sgor na h-Ulaidh :wink: Seriously though, enjoyed your WR and the photos with the autumnal colours are great. :thumbup: Spent a few days here last year and ranks as one of my favourite areas.....even better that the midges are away now - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 am

Great report gman. Great photos. Nice way to bag these two. :D
monty

Postby gman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:54 pm

rockhopper wrote:Another couple of hours of daylight and could've added on Sgor na h-Ulaidh :wink:

Read your report on the 3, but this was definitely enough for me - got Sgor na h-Ulaidh from the A82 :)
gman

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland