walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Grand Day Out!!!

A Grand Day Out!!!

Postby bridget cooper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra, Mungrisdale Common

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 08/10/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A Stunning few Autumn days in the lakes and finally a day off... So what to do???

Well I haven't climbed my favourite lakes fell for a while so Blencathra it is.... :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Normally I would climb Blencathra via Sharp Edge but Canna, my mountain (and water) Spaniel isn't so fussed :( .

For those who don't know, Sharp edge is the best (in my opinion) grade 1 scramble in the lakes. However the short but extremely exposed and committing ridge (no way to go round the hard bit) is not an easy grade 1, and should be undertaken with caution especially in the wet and only by experienced scramblers. Canna doesn't mind scrambles as a rule , though is always in a harness, but on Sharp Edge she was practically dragged up, as the exposure got to her. Amazing really considering the steep edges she happily runs down to visit a stream... :crazy:

So It was decided that we might as well take in the ambiguous Mungrisedale Common whilst we were out so set off from the small parking area at the base of Mousthwaite Comb.
IMG_0509.JPG
Looking down Mousthwaite Comb

As is shown in the route, we went up Mousthwaite Comb which is a pleasant bowl and an easy climb.

IMG_0510.JPG
Looking up Mousthwaite Comb

Pup and I then headed up towards Sharp Edge which as always looks stunning.
IMG_0511.JPG
Looking up towards Sharp edge

From here we stayed low and skirted round the bottom and heading to the back of blencathra and a small plateau before contouring on the vague and very wet path to the extremely vague and arguable pointless Mungrisdale Common.
IMG_0522.JPG
Its here somewhere !
IMG_0526.JPG
Found it!!!! The Summit of Mungrisedale Common
From here a good path leads up to the back end of Blencathra.
IMG_0528.JPG
The final push to Blencathra

One of the great things about going up this way is that its extremely quiet, not a sole was seen though the Summit was busy...
IMG_0533.JPG
Canna on the summit of Blencathra.

A quick stop at the top marked by an OS ring and quick run down the well marked (and surprisingly grassy in places) path brought us back to the top of Mousthwaite and quickly back to the car and on to keswick for lunch!!!

A grand day out indeed. (Well a morning really!!!)
Last edited by bridget cooper on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bridget cooper
Stravaiging

Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:77   

Re: A Grand Day Out!!!

Postby garyhortop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 pm

A nice wander Bridget and some good photo's too - hoping to do Blencathra soon!!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:16 pm

What a lovely hike Bridget and such beautiful views along the way, the shot of Sharp Edge with pup in the foreground is a real cracker. A grand day out indeed :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby stevesey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 pm

and should be undertaken with caution especially in the wet and only by experienced scramblers

Was my first real scramble (after coming up the Halls Fell ridge first and then descending to come back up Sharpe Edge). Was my first trip to the Lakes, but I did have two experienced accomplices and it was cloudy, so no real sense of exposure. Been back Sharpe Edge twice since, once on my own in the sunshine, the second time I was with a less experienced group (not quite so easy to enjoy when you are encouraging others, but great when you can see their sense of achievement).
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 pm

A nice ramble, Bridget. It's good to climb a mountain by a new route. Blencathra was one of A.Wainwright's own favourites, Mungrisdale Common wasn't, so it's good to have got it in the bag.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland