walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

perfect day for Ben Lomond and Ptarmigan ridge descent

perfect day for Ben Lomond and Ptarmigan ridge descent

Postby McGuinness » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 09/10/2012

Time taken: 5.15 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi folks back out on the hills the day so decided to do Ben Lomond and it was a really nice sunny day :D

So at 09.45 i started my walk from the Rowardennan car park and proceded at a steady pace up through the oak woods then through the area of cleared forestry.

Once i crossed the small bridge and reached the open hill where some cattle where grazzing i stuck to the well made path and slogged up at a steady pace to the summit
was really nice at the top and not as busy as i thought it would be with great views to the Cobbler,Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime :D

McGuinness

Munros:8   Corbetts:1

Re: perfect day for Ben Lomond and Ptarmigan ridge descent

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 pm

You certainly got a great day for it - looks much quieter up there than usual ! ....and IMO you did pick the better way to descend - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 pm

Woohoo, there were views! 8) Very nice. I like Ben Lomond and I shall return for the views and the Ptarmigan ridge.
Paula Hubens

Postby Fudgie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am

I've been up the tourist route too many times and I keep threatening to go back and go up the Ptarmigan ridge. Looks like you had a great day for it.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland