walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting Engaged on the Inaccessible Pinnacle

Getting Engaged on the Inaccessible Pinnacle

Postby andrewdoggett » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Lurg Mhòr, Maol Chean-dearg, Moruisg, Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr nan Gillean, Slioch

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn

Date walked: 09/10/2012

Time taken: 41 hours

Distance: 110 km

Ascent: 9200m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I love Skye... There's a certain magic to it that you just can't explain... And so it feels awesome to be back again, and not just just on the Island but back at The Skye Boat Lodge in Carbost... Me thinks the finest accommodation on the Island... :)

Skye 001.JPG
Back @ The Skye Boat Lodge

First up there’s Alexandra’s (Sexy Lexy) Birthday to celebrate… A good way to kick festivities off before a return to the hills on Tuesday…

Tuesday doesn’t look good, we wake up to torrential rain… But after an hours delay we get a call from Graham (www.skyehi.co.uk) and we’re good to go… Graham and Annie are fantastic people, and we now consider them firm friends as well as our fantastic guides. If you need a guide for Skye, then I promise you won’t do better :clap: :clap:

Back in May, we had to turn back from Sgurr nan Gillean due to some late season snow, but this time we’re luckier with the weather and ascend via the western ridge. There’s a wee spot of climbing but nothing too difficult, and as ever, Graham’s on hand showing you the holds…

Skye 002.JPG
The Return to Sgurr nan Gillean

Before long we’re on the airy perch of Sgurr nan Gillean; there’s just about enough space for us to cut some shapes…

Skye 003.JPG
Summit Fun...

Skye 004.JPG
Danny on Sgurr nan Gillean

Skye 005.JPG
The Two Sisters...

Skye 006.JPG
The summit of Sgurr nan Gillean

And then it’s off to Am Bastier and then Bruach na Frithe to complete the North end of the ridge… And that just leaves Sgurr Mhic Choinnich to complete the Skye Munros…

Skye 007.JPG
Having fun Skye Hi Style...

Skye 008.JPG
Vicky on the descent with the Northern Cuillin as the backdrop

Wednesday, and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich then, along with the Inaccessible Pinnacle as we’ve some newcomers in the group, plus I’ve got some plans… The boys are carrying some champagne up the hill, and all being well we’re in for a day of celebrations…

Sgurr Mhic Choinnich is fun; a good scramble but nothing too technical, though you could easily get yourself into problems here without your trusty guide, yep our Graham is with us again… :D

Skye 009.JPG
Looking toward the In Pin from Sgur Mhic Choinnich

So that’s the Skye Munros done then and off to the In Pin. We’re there in no time, and on our way up. Bless Alexandra, she has a little whimper at the crux but she’s safely up; there can’t be too many people who’s only Munros include The Forcan Ridge, The Sgurr nan Gillean 3, and now Sgurr Mhich Choinnich and the In Pin…

So we’re at the summit of the In Pin; I’ve been planning to pop the question to Vicky here for a while now, and the plans for the day are set… Although they nearly get scuppered by me falling off…!! I’ve asked Vicky to marry me several times now; although all of those times in jest… Until now… So of course she thinks I’m joking again… But after much laughter and a few minutes of negotiations I’m engaged to the most gorgeous person I’ve ever met…

Skye 010.JPG
Getting Engaged on the In Pin...

It’s been three years since we first met, when I first fell in love with her (legs) as she caught my attention in a restaurant… One bet with the lads later, and it’s fair to say we hit it off from the very beginning… I won’t witter on; but a few words to describe Vicky are Beautiful; A Wonderful Mother; A Whole Lot of Fun; Kind Hearted; and errr Sexy… :D :D

So that’s that bit done; the boys have carried a load of champagne up… So best drink it then…

And then there was The Three Chimneys for dinner… Sensational Food… I’ll let the pictures do the talking…

Skye 011.JPG
The Three Chimney's Seven Courses of Skye...

Skye 012.JPG
The Prawns...

Skye 013.JPG
The Smoked Fish; and what an Egg Yolk!!

Skye 014.JPG
The Oysters...

Skye 016.JPG
The Scallop...

Skye 017.JPG
The Venison...

Skye 018.JPG
Me with my Fiancee @ The Three Chimneys...

Oh and then we thought some fireworks would be a good idea… Thanks to Craig (my best man) especially for all his help today, but also the other troops for their various contributions… What a magic day :D

Thursday and Friday saw me off to bag Moruisg and Maol Chean-Dearg; both short walks but good to get them done while up in the area…

Sadly Saturday came along and that was it for the lodge, but I wasnae done walking…

Skye 020.JPG
Arriving @ Strathcarron to beautiful light...

One last big hoof for the year sees me pop out to Lurg Mhor and friends; as it turns out in the rain and clag for most of the day hence no photos… It’s a good hoof out to Lurg Mhor; the least climbed Munro on Walk Highlands and it’s easy to see why; you’ll need to pop over a wee Corbett first and then a near vertical Bidein a’Choire Sheasgaich (though it’s nowhere near as bad as it looks). Then back via the same route and I decide to pop up Sgur Choinnich and Sgurr a’Chaorachain aswell for good measure… It’s a big hill day @ 37 km over rough terrain with 2,900 metres of ascent and sadly there wasn’t quite time to pop up Maoile Lunndaidh before nightfall, and I can’t be arsed with walking in the dark… Be easy enough to add it on from here with more light; one for May… Anyway here’s my route for anyone that wants it…

2012 - 10 - 08 - Lurg Mhor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2012 - 10 - 08 - Lurg Mhor.jpg
The Stats...

And then after the big day that went before I popped up Slioch just to relax the legs really… Can’t say I enjoyed it much save for the view at the top which is just to die for; the hill itself is a bit of a slog though…

Skye 022.JPG
The view toward the wilderness of the Fisherfield Forest from the summit of Slioch with An Teallach bathed in sunshine...

Just a thought, did you know the circle was invented on Slioch?

Skye 023.JPG
Circle on Slioch...

And that’s 25 Munros left to go… And a wedding to plan… I’m thinking Eilean Donan Castle… :D
Last edited by andrewdoggett on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Getting Engaged on the Inaccessible Pinnacle

Postby KeithS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Congratulations to you and Vicky, (and for doing the Skye Munros as well)
:clap:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Great report Andrew - great detail and emotion.
Many congratulations to you and Vicky. :clap:
Engagement on the Inn Pinn...ahah...might we suspect a wedding and a top out on the same summit?
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Clach Liath » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Congratulations from me too :D

Given Vicky's achievements to date I think that the only possible location for the wedding is on the AE :D :D
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Congratulations Andrew :clap: :clap: and Vicky :clap: :clap:
what an amazing report in so many ways. first I got engaged on the IN PINN ,then I popped up Lurg Mor and a few more inaccessible munros, and topped it off with Slioch! Unsurpassable!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Congratulations Andrew, what a great location for THE question!
Well done to all for bagging those munros too. 8)
Paula Hubens

Postby Stretch » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 am

Congrats Andrew and Victoria, I somehow pictured a mountain engagement for you two. :clap:

Going to be hard for you to top this trip for a while I think!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 am

From one lucky guy to another, congratulations :clap: Fine report with beautiful photos and that food......man I was fair drooling :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 am

Congratulations to the two of you...what an amazing place to ask the question :D
Brilliant photos as well and the food looks amazing!! The Skye Boat Lodge looks lovely, need to keep that in mind!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby mountainstar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 am

Congratulations both.
What a place to pop the question!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby iainwatson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 am

congrats Andrew! (and to your wife to be!) :clap: :D

fantastic report!

Eilean Donan castle has a lovely cottage that they rent out,could be perfect for your honeymoon!
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 am

Congratulations to both of you :clap: :thumbup:

What a place to do it :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Duncandsooz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 am

another enjoyable report
I agree with you regarding Graham at Skye Hi, he guided us and our 3 children up Sgurr nan Eag and Sgurr dubh mor in the summer and was first class.
Duncandsooz
Mountaineer

Munros:244   Corbetts:4
Islands:11

Postby Ranger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Was about to congratulate you on your 41 hour walk :crazy: (anyone else I wouldn't have believed it)... :lol:

As it is, CONGRATULATIONS on the far bigger occasion :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Congratulations :) absolutely epic in every sense.

PS. You'll probably be getting a webtogs voucher as an early wedding present as well! lol
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland