walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bad blood and a shroud of ill-feeling on Turin Hill

Bad blood and a shroud of ill-feeling on Turin Hill

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Turin Hill

Date walked: 09/10/2012

Time taken: 1.1 hours

Distance: 4.8 km

Ascent: 195m

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very interesting little walk this one!

There isn't a lot of information on this site about Turin Hill on which to plan a walk, but a couple of months back I had had to drop a piece of carpet off to a bloke in Dundee as he was going to bind the edges and make it into a runner for our hall. He had said that he had another job on but he would do our job after that, and advised that I come back in about an hour or so. No rush I had told him, and had headed off up the A90 towards Forfar with the intention of doing Turin Hill. I had Ailsa with me but this looked like the ideal wee hill for taking her up in the child carrier. I had found a few reports on another site and the major issue with Turin Hill appeared to be which side to approach it from. The OS map gave little away but when I checked Google Earth, it looked like a farm track lead up through West Mains of Turin Farm from the B9113 road to the south and pretty much all the way to the summit. Comments about the northern approach seemed to suggest some tricky fences to be negotiated but there seemed to be no such problems with the southern approach.

Anyway, on that day a few months back, I had experienced some problems finding a parking spot. There is not really any possibility of parking on the main road as there is very little verge space and the road from the farm exits onto a fast, straight section of the road. So I drove up the farm road to investigate. There were some options either side of the turn off for Nethermuir but I drove on right up to the farmyard and the holiday cottages beside it. It didn't look like my parking up there would be welcomed so I drove back down the road, but by this stage it had started to rain and Ailsa had started to get a bit stroppy in the back, so in the end I canned the whole idea and drove back to Dundee to get the rug.

Which brings me to today! I had spent the last couple of days painting and decorating in the house, and had been at the painting until well after 10.30 last night. I knew the forecast for this morning was excellent so decided to return to Turin Hill. Less than a one hour drive each way and probably only about an hour for the walk, meaning I could still get home for lunchtime and get some more decorating done this afternoon.

I decided to take Lucy with me this time even although I guessed there was a high probability that there would be a lot of sheep kicking around and she would spend the whole walk on the lead. Parked up on a large flat part of the grassy verge by the Nethermuir turn off, I was off up the tarmac road in glorious autumnal sunshine by 10.30.

IMG_0805.JPG
Turin Hill from the south and the start of my walk

IMG_0806.JPG
From further up the farm road

IMG_0807.JPG
Across the fields to Craigowl Hill (zoomed)

IMG_0808.JPG
Down to Rescobie Loch

I had forgotten to recheck Google Earth before leaving the house and wasn't sure what the route onto the hill was, whether it was through the farmyard itself or more over towards the cottages. I tried the cottages first but it didn't look promising, so I backtracked into the farmyard. There were a couple of guys taking a piece of industrial looking cutting equipment to some old steel girders in a barn, but otherwise nobody around. A few cows stared out from another barn as I passed and headed out onto the track which then bent to the right to climb behind the cottages.

It was at this point that I saw a couple of guys on quads and a sheepdog coming through a gate to my right. I barked the sit command to Lucy and to her credit, she complied instantly. I could just tell though that this was about to turn bad. You know that feeling! Still being not entirely sure about the best route, I smiled at the first farmer, bade hinm a cheery "Morning!" and asked if this was the best way onto the hill. "Aye it is", he growled back, "but no wi' the dug" he added, pointing at Lucy. Now, although my hackles had been slightly raised by his aggressive posture, I was not about to add fuel to the fire, but I did want to argue my case a bit further in a mature and calm manner.

So I pointed out that Lucy was on the lead, where she would remain for the duration of the walk if necessary. He was having none of it. He proceeded to launch into a rant about "you ramblers" and suggested I "know my highway code". I think you mean my Countryside Code pal, but I'll let that one pass in the interests of keeping the fragile peace. Despite my reassuring him that I knew both my responsibilities as well as my rights as a walker, he fired back with "I told you, you're no bringing that dug up here!" "OK" I said, but can you tell me if that is the best way onto the hill", as he still hadn't answered my original question. "Aye, that's the best way onto MY hill" he replied. Oh God, I thought, not that old line again! "Right Lucy, looks like you're going back in the car" I said, and turned without another word to retrace my steps back down to where the car was parked.

As I walked down the road, I reflected that Turin Hill seemed to be jinxed and maybe I wasn't supposed to climb it. Maybe I should just head home? No, to hell with that I thought. He might have seen Lucy off the hill, but I'll be damned if he's seeing me off it! So, with a couple of windows cracked open and some water in a bowl, I left Lucy in the car and set off back towards the farm.

I could see a line of sheep being driven down the hillside to my left and could hear the shouts of the farmers on their quads. I wondered if I would meet Mr Angry and his silent sidekick again. I resolved that if I did, I would not be drawn into any sort of debate or confrontation and would simply walk on and exercise my rights, although I suspected that he would probably not quite see it that way.

IMG_0809.JPG
Take 2 - here we go again, minus Lucy this time

IMG_0810.JPG
Beware all those who enter here!

IMG_0811.JPG
All clear in the farmyard

There was no sign of them in or just beyond the farmyard this time, but as I climbed along the track, I could first hear them and then see them coming towards me round a sharp bend in the track.

IMG_0812.JPG
Back down to the farm - trouble about to hit again!

I walked on unconcerned and just beyond the bend, I stopped and moved onto the grass verge to let them and the sheep they were driving get past. It was at this point that I clearly heard Mr Angry over the noise of the bikes shout "There's that stupid little c**t again". At this point I got the camera out and proceeded to point it at him and the sheep and take a couple of photos, partly because it would make a good photo anyway, but more because I wanted to see his reaction.

IMG_0813.JPG
Foul-mouthed farmer and his flock

"Get aff the f***ing road" he yelled. "Get over the f***ing fence!" Now, I didn't want any of this cr*p, it's not why I go out hillwalking, but it was happening and I was not going to be bullied or intimidated by this thug. In fact, to be honest, you may already have guessed that I was kind of starting to enjoy it in a strange kind of way! :roll:

I stood my ground and let the sheep and the dog pass. He apparently didn't seem to notice or care that I had taken photos of him and his sheep. He stopped and started ranting at me again. To be honest I had kind of switched off by now. When he stopped, I turned to the fence behind me and asked "Sorry, do you want me to climb over that fence and walk in that field, is that what you were shouting?" That would be the field full of bulls by the way! "I meant get through that gate, you're scaring my sheep, bla bla bla........"

It was at this point that I informed him that I was finding his attitude and language deeply offensive, to which he replied "Oh why don't you just f*** off doon the hill!" Sorry, that was it, gone! My resolve to remain polite and non-confrontational that is! "No, I think you'll find I'm going to f*** off UP the hill!" I replied. "No you're no he said", to which I replied with a four letter word beginning with A and ending in RSE, turned my back and walked on while he roared off down the track on his quadbike. :evil:

Ah peace at last! In no time I was at the grassy summit, having passed a Morrison Construction van a short distance below it and a bloke carrying out ground work of some sort by the side of the track. I wondered what Mr Offensive was up to. Was he doing my tyres or windows? It was pretty obvious that it was my car parked down the road (a courteous and respectful distance from the farm, might I add!). I stopped just below the summit at a point where I could see right down through the farmyard and the road beyond to my car. No sign of him anywhere. Maybe he's got binoculars trained on me I thought, so I proceeded to take a pee in his general direction. :lol:

IMG_0815.JPG
Closing in on the summit

IMG_0816.JPG
Seeing a man about a dog, so to speak.....

The grassy summit offered stunning views north and west to the bigger Angus hills, east across the Montrose Basin to the North Sea beyond, and south towards Dunde and the Sidlaws. I lamented the fact that I couldn't stay long - part of me really wanted to sit down and spend the day on HIS hill, to see how much I could really wind him up. But hey, don't cut off your nose to spite your face G, this was only supposed to be a short one. So I took a few photos and hit the track back down.

IMG_0817.JPG
Summit cairn and trig pillar either side of the wall

IMG_0820.JPG
East towards the Montrose Basin

IMG_0821.JPG
Summit cairn with memorial plaque

IMG_0822.JPG
Plaque close up

IMG_0824.JPG
Towards the bigger Angus hills

IMG_0826.JPG
Remains of the old fort with Forfar in the background

IMG_0827.JPG
Rescobie Loch

At the Morrison Construction van, the guy was sitting in the drivers seat having a break and we got chatting. His name was Joe and he said he was doing water mains work. He said he was a bit of a hill walker himself and I suggested he take 5 minutes to wander up to the summit. "Might just do that" he said. I told him about my run in with the farmer. He shook his head and tutted. "No need for that" he said. "Mind you, he's a right grumpy so and so" he said. "I get it off him too". I thanked Joe for his courtesy and civility, shook his hand and headed on my way, wondering if Mr Offensive had anything left to throw at me. :shock:

IMG_0829.JPG
On the way back down

Part of me wanted to meet him again, so I could smile at him, tell him what a cracking wee walk it was, thank him for his colourful banter, but apologise that I couldn't hang around to chew the fat with him anymore as I had to get home and file my walkhighlands report featuring his picture before I forgot all of his one liners. And yes, of course I would be recommending this route as an excellent short walk to my fellow site members. In fact, those cliffs over there on the face of the hill look like an excellent rock climbing location. Must remember to recommend those to the Outdoor Ed guys at school. Maybe they could take some of our pupils climbing there. Maybe some of the ones with serious behavioural issues......... But I didn't encounter him again and passed unmolested and unabused through the farmyard. Probably for the best.

At the back of the farm house I caught sight out of the corner of my eye of a sign that I hadn't noticed earlier. It was clearly a touristy slogan - "Stay on a farm!" it proclaimed, in keeping with this farm's apparent holiday cottage business. Hmm, yes, indeed. Sounds great. Just not sure I'd want to stay on this one....... :(

So northern approach or southern approach to Turin Hill????? I'd thoroughly recommend the southern approach to all you guys and girls the next time you are in the Dundee/Forfar area with an hour or so to spare and you fancy a nice wee hill walk with cracking views. Just take a tin helmet and a thick skin and tell Mr Offensive I was asking for him! :wink:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Bad blood and a shroud of ill-feeling on Turin Hill

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Cracking story Graeme - had a feeling it might be from the title and wasn't wrong ! You certainly don't give in easily :wink: Munros can be challenging, corbetts can be even steeper but these sub 2000s seem to be life threatening at times :lol: Nice walk regardless - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Meatball » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:07 pm

He be a jockey of kn8bs!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Grrrrrr,bloods boiling just reading this one Graeme,had much the same problem a few years back heading up Ben Ledi via the Stank Glen,farmer ranting & cursing,threatening to shoot me & my two dogs,sorry to say my answer was not as considered as yours,explained to farmer that would be hard,as his gun would be somewhere the sun aint gonna shine....ever.

PS nice pics by the way.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Surely a venue for a walkhighlands meet sometime :lol: Imagine Mr Offensive then with a dozen or so people walking on his hill :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure whether this was a great report despite Mr Offensive or because of your attitude to him, but whatever it was a great report all the same :clap:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby soulminer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm afraid I would not be as reserved in that type of situation- Mr Grumpy would have met Mr Mental :wink: Maybe his 'Stay on a Farm' sign is a property on Trip Advisor, and possibly his degree of irascibility could be commented upon :wink:
Glad it didn't, totally, spoil the walk.
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Well that was exciting ! I'm glad you didn't let Buster Bloodvessel spoil your day :D
It took me ages to work out your title !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:54 pm

I did this one from the North starting at Back of Turin Hill / Fordmouth.
Seeing your report reminded me of a frosty reception I got too.
I politely asked if I could park in an open bit of land and was refused point blank.
I did take my dog with me and had no issues with the dog.

They seem to be GOMLs (Get Off My Land) farmers around here (and at Hill of Garvock up the road). They're perhaps worried that Arthur will ascend "their" hill to remove Excalibur from the cairn 8)

Last edited by foggieclimber on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foggieclimber

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Enjoyed the tale of persistence Graeme...an example to us all.

Particularly enjoyed the tale of composure
"No, I think you'll find I'm going to f*** off UP the hill!" I replied. "No you're no he said", to which I replied with a four letter word beginning with A and ending in RSE"
....another example to us all
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:12 pm

haha .... you get them everywhere just tell them to feck off :clap: :clap: ... i was threatened by a fella on the hill once (a keeper) told him i'd lift his skull if he spoke to me like that again ..he was a wee bit taken aback! ... dont mind a reasonable request but has to be civil 8)

Good tale :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Well done on defending your (and our) rights Graeme, this guy would have got a much more offensive mouthful from me I'm afraid .....in fact I'm probably more wound up about this reading it than you were facing it :evil: what an absolute a*se. A real shame too because that looks a cracking wee walk, if I was still in Banchory I would certainly take a drive down there and wander around just out of badness.......grrrrrrr.

Soulminer has a good suggestion with the trip advisor thing......feedback is always valued by B&B places :lol:

Great entertaining report mate and cracking pics :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 pm

well done on standing up for yourself, and it might ne worth reporting the incident to these guys http://www.angus.gov.uk/services/view_service_detail.cfm?serviceid=1290

however,it also worth pointing out, in case anyone is unsure, that there is no right of access through farmyards.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Some report for a wee one hour’s walk! I need some chamomile tea to calm down now. :lol:
Paula Hubens

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:09 pm

That's a hell of a story :shock: A small hill with one big-mouthed farmer! I guess if I was in such situation I'd simply go on walking, ignoring him completely. What could he do to stop me, attack me physically? Then he would be accused of rape attempt! :lol: :lol:

On a serious note. The only time I was verbally abused on the hills was when I suggested other walkers to pick litter they had just dropped. Never had any problem whatsoever with farmers. Some time ago I remember, we set of to climb Sgurr an Airgid in Glen Shiel but couldn't find the start of the path. A local farmer was very friendly, showed us the best way and chatted to us for a few minutes. He said he was used to hillwalkers trying to wander through his pastures to reach the path (as it is indeed sketchy to start with). Yet he behaved in a civilised way with us. So the subject can be solved calmly, it's just some people don't have the will to be nice. :(
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Walk Highlands canine meet to Turin Hill? Ascend the hill en-masse? :lol:
foggieclimber

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland