walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Forcan ridge and friends

Forcan ridge and friends

Postby Meatball » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 11/10/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this one is a bit more complicated.
I'd hurt my back a couple of weeks ago but hobbled about for a couple of weeks but at the weekend it was unbearable, with shooting pain down my leg, including a couple of times when my leg gave way. That was the clincher, work was impossible. I took a couple of days off to rest and stretch but no gym, no running etc but I was getting worse. I went for a walk (from mine to my mums) and it felt better albeit I couldn't get it to crack, which usually brought instant relief. I decided to resume work and see how that goes. Time will tell if this is a mistake.

The forecast was superb, the forcan ridge had been on the radar for a while but no one was able to join me. Hey ho.

An early start saw me on my way just before 0830, using the end point as the start point and cutting across the grass to the path.
DSC01682.JPG

The path up was ok and not ot difficult, albeit I had a sweat on!
There was sounds of stags bellowing all around and just before the ridge I got quite close to one and there were sounds of clattering antlers.

The first views of the actual ridge were not too bad and I was encouraged (I should add that heights/exposure make me dizzy).
DSC01684.JPG

There is a stone wall that starts where I went up to the ridge, if you must avoid the ridge you can follow this wall over to the bealach and head up from there. However, I went up and the going was easy, I didn't even have to put the poles away, there were good obvious holds and crampon marks signaling the way.
The summit of the ridge was reached without any real hassle except where I was trying to bridge over a rock and my back twinged and my leg buckled leaving me seated saddle style on top of a rock at a wee airy bit. Doh. I recovered and carried on. The top of the ridge was reached sticking to the crest of the ridge albeit there was a bypass path to the right, which looked a wee bit airy to me. The holds were so good and obvious on the crest it was a no brainer for me.
DSC01691.JPG

DSC01694.JPG

DSC01698.JPG

The summit of the saddle was clear from there.
DSC01700.JPG

There was one (well known) obstacle in the way.
DSC01703.JPG

I know there is an easy bypass to the left but I fancied this myself and I didn't have to worry about holding anyone up as I had the hill myself.The start looks daunting but each move is ok, I aimed for the big pointy rock in the middle.
DSC01704.JPG

From the big pointy rock I went to the left and changed operation "dreep down" as it was going to lead to a world of pain and downclimbed properly, which was ok, if very cold on the hands.
I should add my poles got launched from the top. The picture (without scale) from the bottom looks tame/easy.
DSC01707.JPG

DSC01710.JPG

I then went up to the twin summit of the saddle, I believe the first summit with the cairn is the highest one. Anyway the easier seat was near the trig point, which is where most of my pics were taken.
DSC01711.JPG

DSC01722.JPG

DSC01716.JPG

I had a quick look around then headed down to the lochan down at the bealach and had some grub.

The pull up to Sgurr na sgine was was uneventful following the line of the fence posts.
The summit was scenic with the Brothers, Sisters and South ridges all very prominent.
DSC01734.JPG

DSC01738.JPG

DSC01744.JPG

I then progressed down via Faochag which was very scenic if steep and sore on the legs/feet.
DSC01747.JPG

DSC01748.JPG

The result was a magic day, with a magic scramble and views.

I was treated to some amazing views of the grey corries, nevis range but glencoe eclipsed all of them.

I gave a hitch hiker/walker a lift from glencoe to the devils stair case. It turns out he'd started just before 0900hrs that day and done Buachaille etive mor, Buachaille etive beag, Stob coire Sgeamhach and Bidean nam bian! He bailed on adding the aonach eagach because he was feeling a bit tired! Trumped! haha
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Forcan ridge and friends

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Love it :D . What a cracking looking day 8)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Lovely stuff C , some great photos and good info on the ridge . That was a trojan effort doing this with a bad back , hope it eases soon , Cheers
:D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Quality :clap: :clap: the photo's are amazing hope the back gets better quickly.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jonny616 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:24 pm

jammy git :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Whit a day, looks magic 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby soapy27 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:53 am

Nice report there mate , great photos too. :clap: hope the weathers as good when I do these 2
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby monty » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:24 am

Nice report meatball and a great set of photos. What a fab day for it. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Had to forego the ridge recently due to time but hope to get back some time. Great detail and photos in your report, will be useful when I do - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JB likes a beer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Great photos i loved doing the ridge well done :clap:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Meatball » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Cheers folks, I will definitely do that ridge again, it was good fun!
Massive respect to those that have done it while it was wet or in the snow.
First time on wh via computer and its amazing how many people on here are from Glasgow or the central belt!
Meatball

Postby dawnfoth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey, Meatball - Falcon ridge and friends - should it not be 'Billy nae mates on the Falcon Ridge'? :wink: Just kidding - I am often on the trot myself. :( Looks like you had an awesome day for it - this is a fab ridge - I would love to go back and climb it, but I still have another 161 munros to explore..... Brave of you climbing this with a bad back. Hope it gets better soon 8)
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby ken reid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:22 pm

congrats for managing the ridge with a bad back, not sure I would be that brave.espesialy on your own. still all's well that end's well and you had great weather to. love the pics reminds me of when wee did the ridge in june this year before heading up to finnish off the skye hills.:clap: :clap: :clap:
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:39 pm

What a day you got you jammy sod, i saw nothing when i did it and after seeing this report i'll be returning :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Meatball » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Haha, the mwsp seems to have missed a week, so you're right, nae mates!
To be honest the ridge isn't that bad, not worth losing sleep over anyway and the back is getting better. Rehab rehab rehab....
Thanks for the comments.

What do you mean finishing off the skye hills? I'll never finish them, I'll always go over and over them! If I find my brave pills...
Meatball

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland