walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The castle Munros - Ben Eunaich and Ben a'Chochuill

The castle Munros - Ben Eunaich and Ben a'Chochuill

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 09/10/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.9 km

Ascent: 1451m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My plan to take it easy this weekend was changed by the weather forecast...but who can ignore a beautiful Saturday? :roll:
I was looking for something close by and pretty easy and opted for Ben Eunaich and Ben a'Chochuill, which would mean I could return to one of my favourite camp spots, in front of Kilchurn castle. Marco who fancied a easy walk as well, said he would join me and together we had a look at some of the walk reports. The circular route seemed so easy, that I decided not to print out the description ...after all on a sunny day with huge tracks...it seemed impossible to miss the path :crazy: :crazy: ...'cough' well I should have known better. :shock: 8) :lol:

The start of the path is easy to find...head up to the castles farm on the wide farm track which starts to lead up the mountain. From here (without a walk description),I started to get confused.
Even though the path was clear, to figure out which Munro is which, was a bit tricky...I studied my GPS and could have kicked myself for not paying more attention...was I supposed to keep on going straight ahead or turn right??? :?
Looking ahead I saw some walkers ahead of us, who started to climb up a rather steep bit to the right. Looking at my GPS I realized they were on the straight way up to Ben Eunaich...I remembered something about a steep descent and realized that was the way down...but as I prefer steep ascent than steep descent...I decided to follow the other ones...(one needs to play sheep once in a while) and at least I found the path. :D The path I found ended up being a path after the first 20 meters. :shock: :? Suddenly we were on a grassy slope (rather wet and slippy) , but as others seemed to walk up a bit to the left of us, I knew were on the right way up. As we caught up with them, one man shouted over 'The path is over here'. :roll: Ahh and thank you! :D We moved across and even though the track we found was only a little bit better than the grassy slope, it made it easier.

The ascent was pretty steep, but levelled out after a while and we soon reached the top of Ben Eunaich . The wind was ice cold and while we had a break, we met a few others walkers including 2 fell runners who put me to shame with the speed they walked/ran down the hill (how can people run down steep hills??) By the time we continued down the hill and up the next one, the path again was really clear and easy to follow. The views across Glen Coe and the north side of Ben Cruachan which were impressive and it was one of those days when hillwalking can be really rewarding and easy. :D :D :D

We reached the top of Ben a'Chochuill, but decided not to stop for long as the wind was freezing. From the top I tried to find the way down and yet again I was confused, as it all seemed rather steep. :? We discussed the different options and to return the way we came and head down the grassy slopes next to the burn Allt Lairig Ianachain, seemed the most logical. From the GPS reading I guessed lots of people would come up that way and I was surprised when we did not find a track. The grassy slope was however pretty easy and let us down the hill in a gentle way, back on the wide farm track at the bottom of the hill, from were we returned to the car.

The hike was followed by some sightseeing and a pint to say good bye to the hills for a while, as in less than 2 weeks, I will yet again travel to Nepal for a 16 days hiking and hill walking trip in the Langtang area. :D

DSC02821.JPG
The way up the steep hill

DSC02825.JPG
The view on the way up- lol

DSC02830.JPG
Some other views on the way up

DSC02833.JPG
On the way to Ben a'Chochuill

DSC02839.JPG
View towards Glen Coe

DSC02848.JPG
The north face of Ben Cruachan

DSC02850.JPG
View of the cairn

DSC02849.JPG
Me on top of the cairn

DSC02856.JPG
Across to Ben Cruachan again

DSC02852.JPG
Back to Ben Eunaich

DSC02859.JPG
On the way down

DSC02863.JPG
Ben Eunaich from the distance

DSC02869.JPG
Sunset over Loch Awe

DSC02875.JPG
A hard to beat bathroom...

DSC02874.JPG
The 2 Munros in the morning, with the view across Loch Awe

DSC02877.JPG
Early morning mist on the water

DSC02882.JPG
Kilchurn castle

DSC02888.JPG
The castle again (only open from April to Sep)

DSC02889.JPG
Looking up from Loch Awe

DSC02895.JPG
St. Conans Kirk - worth a visit!

DSC02897.JPG
The inside

DSC02900.JPG

DSC02907.JPG

DSC02914.JPG
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The castle Munros - Ben Eunaich and Ben a'Chochuill

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:30 pm

A nice report ML and some great pictures. I just love the autumn colours!
This walk took me a bit longer than 5 hours, and I did have a map! :lol:
Paula Hubens

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:55 pm

We had a bit of a "moment" with the highlands cows on the way up to these two. Fastest I've ever vaulted a fence :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby PeteR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Some very nice photos there mountainlove :D I have to admit having a soft spot for these two. They may be Cruachan's poor relations, but well worth a visit :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby 147cjl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 pm

looks a nice wee jaunt Maja and a good day for it too. Have a great trip to Nepal :)
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 pm

lveo your camping spot. have a fantastic trip. :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Cracking clear views - didn't see a thing the day I was up here :roll: ........and what a great place to camp ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am

I haven't yet climbed anything in this corner of Scotland - too far from home... The castle and the church are definitely worth a visit :D Glad to see I'm not the only fan of old ruins on WH...
The castle guide calls Kilchurn "the midgiest place in the world on a grey airless day in July" :lol: :lol: No wonder with all the water around...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Paula Hubens wrote:A nice report ML and some great pictures. I just love the autumn colours!
This walk took me a bit longer than 5 hours, and I did have a map! :lol:

Many thanks Paula, I was happy with my timing...guess sometimes not having a map makes you cut down the paths (well but sometimes it works the other way around as well) :lol:

Fudgie wrote:We had a bit of a "moment" with the highlands cows on the way up to these two. Fastest I've ever vaulted a fence :lol:

:lol: that sounded like ehm fun! Usually the cows are ok...well I became more caucious when a farmer once told me (after me given one a cuddle) (not the farmer - the cow 8) ) that they can be vicious...well I guess farmers can be vicious too :lol: :lol:

PeteR wrote:Some very nice photos there mountainlove :D I have to admit having a soft spot for these two. They may be Cruachan's poor relations, but well worth a visit :D

I agree..in some ways I prefered them as well...nice and easy and a more gentle way up than Cruachan!

147cjl wrote:looks a nice wee jaunt Maja and a good day for it too. Have a great trip to Nepal :)

Many thanks :D :D

mrssanta wrote:lveo your camping spot. have a fantastic trip. :D

The spot is amazing I can only recommend it and many thanks!

rockhopper wrote:Cracking clear views - didn't see a thing the day I was up here :roll: ........and what a great place to camp ! - cheers :)

Thank you...shame that you never got the views when you did them!

BlackPanther wrote:I haven't yet climbed anything in this corner of Scotland - too far from home... The castle and the church are definitely worth a visit :D Glad to see I'm not the only fan of old ruins on WH...
The castle guide calls Kilchurn "the midgiest place in the world on a grey airless day in July" :lol: :lol: No wonder with all the water around...

I love the old ruins as well and always follow your reports with great interest! :clap:
Regarding the midges...yes I can see how that must be hell in summer...even the grass on the way to the shore is boggy!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Mountainlove wrote:The hike was followed by some sightseeing and a pint to say good bye to the hills for a while, as in less than 2 weeks, I will yet again travel to Nepal for a 16 days hiking and hill walking trip in the Langtang area.

Sigh...... someone has to do it I guess! :roll: Have fun!

Nice photies by the way! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:44 am

What a wonderful way to close out your Scottish hillwalking for a week or two, some cracking photos of a great hike :clap:

Hope you have a fantastic time in Nepal, I'll be looking out for the reports in the Outside Scotland section :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Lenore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:44 am

Ooooh stunning pictures, well done! A gorgeous weekend for a camp. Have the whole week off next week and was hoping for a last camping trip as well, but the weather's turned to rain rain rain here. Have fun in Nepal!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am

Simply stunning photos ML. Nice easy couple of hills these two and great weather. :D

p.s. Can I come to Nepal Please :D
monty

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland