walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broughton Grahams

Broughton Grahams

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Culter Fell, Gathersnow Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Chapelgill Hill, Culter Fell, Gathersnow Hill

Date walked: 06/12/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With short days now well and truly upon us, my enthusiasm for lengthy drives north in the dark/snow/wet has somewhat deserted me. Fortunately I have the Borders hills pretty much on my doorstep so that was the destination. A look at the map showed an obvious circuit taking in these 2 Grahams from the end of the public road at NT079295.

The SW wind dictacted a clockwise direction (sheltered ascent, tail wind on traverse to Culter Fell). 90 minutes walking brought me via Coomb Hill to the top of Gathersnow Hill (a fairly unremarkable lump).

Gathersnow Hill summit.jpg

Culter Fell (3).jpg

When I was able to hold the camera still there was some lovely December light for photography. Broad Law was easily identifiable by it's air traffic control detritis and service track, if not by it's shape.

Talla Reservoir and Broad Law.jpg

I ducked down to the col named Holm Nick between GH and CF where I had some lunch out the wind.

Coulter Reservoir and Tinto (1).jpg

From here it was just a straight 2.5km slog up the south shoulder of CF. The drizzly rain had begun but the wind made it sting and I was glad to have it at my back - unlike 3 chilly looking souls on their way down. There were intermittent views of Tinto and the Clyde Valley from the top and I decided to complete the circuit by taking in King Bank Head and Chapelgill Hill rather than the quicker descent by Congrie Hill.

King Bank Head - L, Chapelgill Hill - R.jpg

This wasn't a great plan as a hail/sleet shower made the descent pretty unpleasant - I would have been back at the car had I taken the shorter route :? . The shower passed just in time for a final snap as the light faded.

Glen Holm with Gathersnow Hill in BG.jpg

Anyway, overall an enjoyable walk.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Broughton Grahams

Postby hills » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Lovely colours there, enjoyed that.

I also like walking in this area, so many combinations, and so easy to get too.

Cheers for that. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Re: Broughton Grahams

Postby mountain coward » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 am

I thought you meant Broughton-in-Furness Grahams so I hurriedly looked to see which ones of the mountains we do very regularly indeed are Grahams :lol: Nice pics though... :D
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland