walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"This is the Road to Hell"

"This is the Road to Hell"

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Route description: Loch Coille-Bharr and the Beavers

Date walked: 08/10/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 50m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Those that know I’m ambulant disabled will, no doubt, be gobsmacked to see this walk was 5km :lol: Well, I have a new set of wheels. After a lot of soul searching, (and tears), I decided to buy a smart SPORT wheelchair :shock: Not yet up to paralympian standard and needing Jeff (Mr SusieThePensioner) to push me most of the time, at least I’m now more mobile!!! I did note that paralympians wore padded gloves so, have found a new use for my cycling gloves :wink:
wheelchair, camera and sticks.jpg

The walk is in part of the Knapdale Forest, Argyll, and includes the Scottish Beaver Trial. In Gaelic, Knapdale means Cnap (hill) and Dall (field).
Board display.jpg

This particular walk isn’t for wheelchairs but, having read the description and spoken to a Forestry Commission Ranger as well as a couple in the car park, we decided to attempt at least the first part. Especially as it said, “the almost level route”. We therefore set off with happy anticipation.................
Board info.jpg

Reading the instructions gives you no idea of the actual terrain to be tackled. We started from the car park at quite a height above the loch and, for at least the next mile went up and down, and down, and up, and round, and up and down.
path1.jpg

After half a mile we passed the abandoned settlement of Kilmory Oib. It has at least 17 buildings, including houses and byres for animals, as well as an early Christian cross-marked stone standing by a well. It’s believed to have become abandoned sometime during the 19th century.
Kilmory Oib.jpg

Then we reached an old mill which was used to grind corn. A stream from the loch was made for the mill by cutting the rock.
mill.jpg

stream.jpg

Eventually we arrived at a wonderful vantage point, plus seat, at the end of the loch :D By this time we were both worn out with our strenuous efforts; Jeff pushing me, me having to walk uphill and also, helping to turn the wheels when the going got tough :roll: Fantastic aerobic exercise though! :lol:
loch.jpg

We enjoyed our lunch overlooking the loch but had dallied rather a long time; it was now 3 o’clock :shock: We decided to carry on round the loch and try and complete the walk; a big mistake :? Should have cut our losses and returned the same way even though it would’ve been mainly uphill. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing................. :roll:
path2.jpg

The “good” path soon became unsuitable for the wheelchair and started winding up and through the wood. It eventually dropped back down by the loch and, we thought, great, the walk description read “an undulating path” so we should make progress :D
However, a new path has been created and the instructions just didn’t seem to match what was now in place :? Making good progress? Oh no, oh dear, far from it...............as I struggled along I kept hearing lyrics from Chris Rea’s song “This is the Road to Hell” :shock: And that’s just what it was; sheer hell and torture for me. I could hardly put one foot in front of the other, my knees were so stiff and painful, my shoulders were hurting and my fingers virtually seized up. Every few feet the path twisted and turned one way, then the other, up and down with a few tricky bits thrown in; natural rock steps that were too steep and I couldn’t step down or up without having to think through the logistics of how to actually overcome these barriers. I’m sure this section was a lovely walk along by the loch but I was in so much pain I was past caring and just wanted to be able to sit back in the wheelchair :roll: :(
autumn colours2.jpg

Hallelujah! After 2.5hrs we reached a much better path, suitable for the wheelchair, then the road and eventually the car park at 6 o’clock :thumbup: We did however, see the beaver dam at Dub Loch, sadly, no beavers and, we didn’t feel like waiting around. Oh well, perhaps another time :wink:

This walk, for anyone else, would be an interesting and enjoyable 2-3 hours; through the woodland and along by the loch :D
autumn colours1.jpg
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: "This is the Road to Hell"

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Susan what can I say,a very brave effort by you & Jeff to keep going.we all take what we have for granted,its only people like you who make us stop & think. :clap: :clap: :clap: .

PS,braw pics,cannie work out whats natural & whats"tweaked"sign of a brillint photographer. :wink:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Susie And Jeff,; inspirational, its not about how far, how high or how fast just about getting out there.
Unfortunately advancing years brings us all difficulties to overcome, it may have been 'road to hell' at the time but I say WELL DONE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby KeithS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Nice wheels Suzie 8), I hope you (and Jeff) get plenty of use out of them and looking forward to seeing your reports and pictures
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Alan S » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Nice one susie 8) some excellent pics there :D
Well done 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby basscadet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm

My mum used to be a wheelchair, so i know how an short, easy walk can get out of control like that.. In a couple of weeks, you will remember it fondly though, and will hopefully be set to go out so you can give us another cracking report like this one :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mamoset » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm

basscadet wrote:My mum used to be a wheelchair, so i know how an short, easy walk can get out of control like that.. In a couple of weeks, you will remember it fondly though, and will hopefully be set to go out so you can give us another cracking report like this one :lol:

Hope thats a bit of a typo :shock: Well done Susie, Autumnal colours looking great there :clap:

Chris.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Great stuff getting out there well done :clap: .Autumn colours look great in the photo's
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks, Willie for your comments :D
gammy leg walker wrote:PS,braw pics,cannie work out whats natural & whats"tweaked"sign of a brillint photographer.
Thank you thank you :wink: What, have you lost your touch??? :lol:

Frigate wrote:Susie And Jeff,; inspirational, its not about how far, how high or how fast just about getting out there.
Unfortunately advancing years brings us all difficulties to overcome, it may have been 'road to hell' at the time but I say WELL DONE
Thanks for that :D Unfortunately the advancing years seem to be coming round much quicker now :lol:
KeithS wrote:Nice wheels Suzie , I hope you (and Jeff) get plenty of use out of them and looking forward to seeing your reports and pictures
Thanks, Keith :D Got another report to finish :lol:

mamoset wrote:Well done Susie, Autumnal colours looking great there
Thank you Chris :D

basscadet wrote:In a couple of weeks, you will remember it fondly though, and will hopefully be set to go out so you can give us another cracking report like this one
Thanks, hopefully another appearing soon :lol:
Last edited by SusieThePensioner on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 pm

Alan S wrote:
Nice one susie 8) some excellent pics there :D
Well done 8)
Thank you Alan :D

Benjaminnevis wrote:Great stuff getting out there well done .Autumn colours look great in the photo's

Thank you for your comments :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Cool new vehicle you've got! I hope the weather holds up north so you can get out and treat us to lots of reports and piccies! :D
Paula Hubens

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:27 am

Fantastic effort Susie, such a shame that it was so difficult for you around the loch but well done on making it, and well done to Jeff too :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 am

Well done Susie! great effort :clap: , pity the track wasn't as wheelchair freindly as you would have hoped :( , but great pictures and report :D , pity mine are not up to your standard :( , and a lot of interest on the way. Getting out there that's what it's all about, Autumnal colours are something else, thank's for sharing :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby GillC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 am

Epic stuff susie....you are an absolute inspiration. (my mother moans about a sore leg if you ask her to walk to the shops lol) going to show her your reports,,,FANTASTIC, and Jeff,,your a gem. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:56 am

Pure inspiration, Susie!!! Well done! Your pictures actually taste of autumn :wink:

I have a very close friend who suffers from a nasty disease affecting her joints - she is in her 30ties and already walking on crouches :( I know, life is tough, but I always feel guilty sharing my mountain stories with her, as she can only dream about such trips. I'll show her your TR, as proving that anything is possible :D :D
All the best in your future conquests and hope to see more tasty photies :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland