walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More Of The Mammores

More Of The Mammores

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 am

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 14/10/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a few weeks since my last outing which was Ben Lui and it's smaller neighbour and this was down to being glued to The Ryder Cup coverage and spending most of last Saturday in Tennents on Byres Road :-P All week I had told myself I was going to get out and with the forecast for Sunday looking good then all that was left was the easy task of choosing where to go :lol:

I had done the Ring of Steall at the end of May in scorching weather and The Mammores immediately rose to prominence as my favourite area to walk in (so far anyway). I had seen many good reports of Stob Ban and Mullach Nan Coirean and I quite fancied those two but when I looked further East along The Mammores range, Binnein Mor & Na Gruagaichean stood out so the decision was made.

I've done many Munro's alone but my friend Mick (who I had climbed the Ring of Steall with) was keen to come along so off we went from my house at 7am. A straightforward drive up saw us parked and ready to go at 9am and we began the task of finding the correct path through the trees. As we climbed up the open hillside on a path which looked as if it wasn't used too often, we checked the map and found we had somehow missed the path suggested on here but were at least heading in the right direction :oops: This also gave us a chance to admire the view behind us back down Loch Leven.

The path we were on hugged the edge of the gully and we both joked that obviously people had walked this way and hoped to find a way over to the main path which we could now see :lol: I had looked at the map and saw where the gully flattened out to give us an easy way across and we found it without any problems. Now we were motoring along on the main path and could see where the path made it's way up the slopes of Sgurr Eilde Beag.

I filled up my water bottle at a stream and we once again admired the view back down towards Loch Leven. This was the first point of the day where we could hear a stag roaring although we couldn't see it in amongst the brown heather.

The path round the bottom of Sgurr Eilde Mor climbs at a steady rate and the views over the Blackwater reservoir and beyond were spectacular. We obviously were enjoying the view's too much as we missed the point where the stalkers path starts and carried on upwards on the normal path :oops: Our mistake was realised and we cut across 50ft of heather to reach the path we wanted to take. It zig zagged up the hill and within what felt like no time at all, we were on top of Sgurr Eilde Beag and could see both our intended targets for the day as well as a large part of the Glencoe range.

I had thought about adding on Sgurr Eilde Mor and Binnein Beag but after surveying them from here, I'm glad I didn't go for it as it will give me another chance to visit this fine area. Again, we made good time up to the 1062 point which lies South of the Binnein Mor summit and as we came up the hill and over the top, we were greeted with an absolutely fantastic view.

The Western Mammores, Ben Nevis and Aonach Beag lay in front of us and we both found it hard to believe the wonderful landscape that we surveyed. It was nothing short of phenomenal and although we could have stood there all day, the summit of Binnein Mor was close by now and we quickly arrived on the top. Food was greedily devoured (including a bottomless packet of crisps I bought from Asda :lol: ) and we sat there admiring the view whilst listening to the stags in the glen below roaring at one another. Sgurr Eilde Mor lay far below us but beyond it we could see a band of rain moving slowly in our direction so it was time to move on.

The top of Na Gruagaichean was reached quickly and a cold wind was awaiting us so the stop here was brief but long enough to take a few pictures. This was our last Munro of the day and number 54 for myself so it was a good feeling to be standing here surveying what was an ever diminishing view.

Down we went towards Kinlochleven and this was the only part of the day that I didn't enjoy. The grassy slopes were damp and a bit slippy plus boulders lay everywhere and stopped us getting any speed going. It felt never ending and no matter how much we descended, Kinlochleven didn't seem to be getting any closer. We had abandoned following the route suggested on here and just went straight down the side of the hill in the direction of a path we could see. Then, as if by magic, I lifted my head and witnessed possibly the most amazing landscape I have ever seen.

Everything seemed to have conspired to create the perfect view with the sun shining through the clouds on one side, clear blue skies on the other and the hillsides lighting up under the afternoon sun. I feel privileged to have been able to gaze upon this scene and I snapped out of the trance long enough to get my camera out. I tried very hard but I couldn't completely replicate the colours and I would be amazed if anyone could capture it with a camera.

I really had my spirits lifted by this and the walk back to the car became much more enjoyable. Mick had to be back to play 7's so we moved at speed and reached the car just before half three which meant we had been round the two in 6 and a half hours. A highly enjoyable day and I can't wait to get back up there.
Attachments

binneinmor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Fudgie on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: More Of The Mammores

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am

That's some set of photos 8) . I was just by you on Ring of Steall :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:That's some set of photos 8) . I was just by you on Ring of Steall :) .

Cheers Leithy. I kept looking over but couldn't see you :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby michaelmcp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:03 pm

That gpx you posted is a lesson in don't be talking to much whilst walking. Luckily, it didn't cost us too much in time or extra walking.

You're right about the Mammores being a great place for hillwalking - the views over to many of the other climbing areas ( Glencoe, Nevis region etc) is phenomenal when the weather is as good as it was yesterday.

Great photos btw. :clap:
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:09 pm

michaelmcp wrote:That gpx you posted is a lesson in don't be talking to much whilst walking. Luckily, it didn't cost us too much in time or extra walking.

You're right about the Mammores being a great place for hillwalking - the views over to many of the other climbing areas ( Glencoe, Nevis region etc) is phenomenal when the weather is as good as it was yesterday.

Great photos btw. :clap:

We were putting the world to rights at one point and we somehow ended up on the subject of politics :shock: :lol:

Get yourself that Sigma lens :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby pjfeehery » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Stunning photos. I'm often jealous of all the folks out and about in the westerly parts of Scotland. I'll just be content to drool over the scenery for now. Thanks for sharing!
pjfeehery

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:59 pm

pjfeehery wrote:Stunning photos. I'm often jealous of all the folks out and about in the westerly parts of Scotland. I'll just be content to drool over the scenery for now. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks very much.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Lenore » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Gorgeous pictures again! Thanks for sharing.
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Lenore wrote:Gorgeous pictures again! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much. A very productive day in terms of pictures.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby soulminer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 pm

On a good day it would be hard to beat the Mamores :) Fine views in all directions as your photos prove 8)
Not been there for ages,but may remedy that in Winter :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 pm

soulminer wrote:On a good day it would be hard to beat the Mamores :) Fine views in all directions as your photos prove 8)
Not been there for ages,but may remedy that in Winter :lol:
Cheers.

Once I've completed the range, I certainly will be back. Stob Ban in the winter is very appealing 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Peter913 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice shots there really make me want to get back up there i like the 1st one

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Peter913 wrote:Nice shots there really make me want to get back up there i like the 1st one

Peter

Thanks Peter.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Wonderful views so well captured. I've not yet done these two and after seeing your pics can't wait to get up there! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:11 pm

dogplodder wrote:Wonderful views so well captured. I've not yet done these two and after seeing your pics can't wait to get up there! :D

Thanks very much. At one point we wondered why the route suggested on here went the way it did but it does give you a few WOW moments as you come to a summit. I can't recommend it enough.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland