walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dartmoor - Wistmans Wood

Dartmoor - Wistmans Wood

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Date walked: 15/10/2012

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 264m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I originally planned a much larger circular walk around to the Beardown Man and taking in a number of the tors over the central moor area but was thwarted by the weather and had to cut this walk a bit short! So what you have here is a smaller circular walk around the ancient woodland at Wistman's Wood - very pretty area but not what I had intended.

The day started off well enough arriving at the Quarry car park in Two Bridges by 9.00am with only one other car in the car park. The forecast was for mixed weather of showers and sunshine but it turned out to be mostly showers and building on the days of rain we had had all week (and this becomes relevant later!).

Within minutes of leaving the car the heaven's opened with some really very heavy showers - about 3 very heavy showers in the space of about a mile - by the time I reached Crockern I was fine as I had waterproofs on but the dogs didn't and they were drenched and completely sodden. At Crockern I headed up to my right onto Crockern Tor which is the site of the Stannary Parliament - as I understand it this was a parliament set up by the Tinners of the Devon and its said that at one time they had more power than the London Parliament as Tin was a major income for the country at the time and if the tinners didn't like the legislation from London they made their own at this parliament - still sounds like a good idea to me!

There is then a fairly obvious ridge line North and both Littaford and Higher White Tors are clearly visible. However, the ridge was completely sopping and much bogtrotting was needed to get across this ridge. It was also really quite windy and by which time one of the dogs was really starting to whine and was increasingly unhappy. Having read in some posts on WH a couple of horror stories with dogs getting hypothermic and not having come equipped with their "winter gear" I reached Higher White tor and decided to call it a day! I was concerned about the mutt and although she is a chihuahua she never normally complains on the hills - so took this to be a less then good sign!

I decided to head down into the valley and pick up the footpath below Lydord Tor - I did plan to head across to the other side of the valley as this would be in the lee of the wind but I couldn't get across the stream - the path disappeared into the Dart - out the other side again and there was no way across up or downstream that I could see. So I simply headed back up onto the path and headed down the valley and into Wistmans Wood.

Wistman's wood is an ancient Oak woodland and a nature reserve - its said to be one of the oldest in England although the current woodland is estimated to be around 300 years old!! It is an amazing place with lots of legends of devil dogs amongst the boulders and twisted oaks (although I only saw photographers!!) and it is a popular tourist spot so best to arrive early if you want a car park space - but not many people go beyond the woods.

I will do this walk again soon as it's one I have been planning for a while - but will go better equipped for the dogs next time! - it was also a bit disappointing to bail out the planned walk but i guess the hills will still be there when I go back next! So watch this space!

Here are a few photo's I took on the day!

DSCF2040.JPG
Route to Crockern - Longaford Tor in background

DSCF2041.JPG
Crockern Tor

DSCF2042.JPG
Rainbows over Rough Tor

DSCF2043.JPG
Crockern Tor Summit

DSCF2044.JPG
Ridge to Longaford Tor

DSCF2045.JPG
Rainbows over Longaford Tor

DSCF2046.JPG
Western View to Powdermills and Bellever Forest

DSCF2047.JPG
Approaching Longaford Tor

DSCF2048.JPG
Looking back to Wistman's Wood

DSCF2049.JPG
Higher White Tor

DSCF2050.JPG
Weir Below Lydford Tor

DSCF2052.JPG
Heading into Wistman's Wood

DSCF2053.JPG
Wistman's Wood

DSCF2054.JPG
Another of Wistman's Wood
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Dartmoor - Wistmans Wood

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Shame about the weather and conditions, Gary, but, health and safety first :D
Glad you managed to do a walk and some lovely photos :thumbup:
As you say, the hills will still be there for you to walk another time.

Just back from 2 weeks in Scotland and had some great weather most of the time :lol:
TR on Walks in Scotland :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 pm

It might have not been great weather wise but it was worth it for some fine shots :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:31 am

Great stuff Gary, if we got all the hills we set out to capture every time it wouldn't be as much fun when we finally got em :lol: love the pic with the sorry looking cow and a couple of rain spots on the lens to complete the effect, it really captures the moment :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi Gary
Dispite the iffy weather it looked like a great little walk. The cow looked a bit "moody" :lol: :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:58 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Shame about the weather and conditions, Gary, but, health and safety first :D
Glad you managed to do a walk and some lovely photos :thumbup:
As you say, the hills will still be there for you to walk another time.

Just back from 2 weeks in Scotland and had some great weather most of the time :lol:
TR on Walks in Scotland :D

Thanks Susie - as you say they will be there another time!! Will have a look at the reports and photo's of your Scotland trip shortly!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:59 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:It might have not been great weather wise but it was worth it for some fine shots :thumbup:

Thanks JK - I think the photo's were quite lucky as I had to try and get the camera out quick in between the showers - and there wasn't much time between showers!! :crazy:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 am

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Gary, if we got all the hills we set out to capture every time it wouldn't be as much fun when we finally got em :lol: love the pic with the sorry looking cow and a couple of rain spots on the lens to complete the effect, it really captures the moment :clap:

Cheers Chris, I know what you mean! There were a few sorry looking cows on the hills that morning, some bovine, some canine and one human! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:02 am

willywalker247 wrote:Hi Gary
Dispite the iffy weather it looked like a great little walk. The cow looked a bit "moody" :lol: :lol:

Cheers Chris, This was the walk I was hoping to check out for us to do next time you are down - I did at least manage to get a good look at the lie of the land for the fuller circular walk - so as and when you get a weekend off.....!! :wink:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby Phooooey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Looks a fine little wander. Great photos, especially liked the camouflaged spy cow. :lol:
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland