walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More Of The Mammores

More Of The Mammores

by Fudgie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 am

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 14/10/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: More Of The Mammores

Postby Benjaminnevis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Great photo's think i will pop over for a couple days my self.was thinking of booking in to one a that weird looking hobbits at the hostel.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby PeteR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Fantastic photos :D Love these hills. Up there amongst the best group of hills I've walked in. Glad you had such a good day for it too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:29 pm

very nice fudgie, photos are stunning as usual :thumbup: glad you saw more than I did (which certainly wouldn't be hard as I saw nothing other than clag :roll: - hope to go back some time especially if I can get views like yours) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks folks. The sooner I can get back up there the better 8)

As for the weather, anyone who was on Meall a'Bhuiridh or Criese on Sunday would have seen nothing all day with the Buachaille only clearing late on. We got very lucky.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:21 am

Stunning report fudgie

Have had a couple of good days on the Mamores many years ago, but don't remember the views in real life being as good as in your pics!!

(can you, rockhopper, frogwell et al not settle for a compact and let the rest of us have delusions of photo adequacy :) )

great stuff...
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 am

Scotjamie wrote:Stunning report fudgie

Have had a couple of good days on the Mamores many years ago, but don't remember the views in real life being as good as in your pics!!

(can you, rockhopper, frogwell et al not settle for a compact and let the rest of us have delusions of photo adequacy :) )

great stuff...

Sorry but I've invested waaaaaaaaay too much money in my camera gear to let it sit and gather dust :lol:

Those pictures are my reward for lugging a DSLR plus lens and filters up there :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:04 am

Fudgie wrote:Those pictures are my reward for lugging a DSLR plus lens and filters up there

our reward too
great photos
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:50 am

Scotjamie wrote:can you, rockhopper, frogwell et al not settle for a compact and let the rest of us have delusions of photo adequacy
:? :lol: Scotjamie - nowadays on the hills I just use a cheap Fuji compact (16mp, 5x zoom and about £50) as it takes 2xAA batteries and is easy to carry (no viewfinder though) - tend to use it on programme mode (or nighttime for longer shutter speeds) as that allows me to make some manual settings....being lucky and getting good weather also helps. If you use a compact on auto, have a go at trying some of the other modes as they may allow you to over/under expose, use different speeds etc - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks rh and fudgie

My walking partner Malcolm is also great with camera in hand.

Like you guys he has a really good eye for a pic and if Malcolm has taught me anything it is that I have to accept that I have all the artistic ability of a small soap dish.

Now have a newish lumix which is permanently on auto - so will take your advice and try other modes (maybe time for a 'snaphighlands' offshoot site that passes tips on to photo-newbies) :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Stunning pictures. I have still to do these hills and you just moved them up my hit list.

What filters did you use?
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Scotjamie wrote:Now have a newish lumix which is permanently on auto - so will take your advice and try other modes (maybe time for a 'snaphighlands' offshoot site that passes tips on to photo-newbies) :)

The first DSLR I had was a Nikon D40X and after I had been using it a while, a friend who is more experienced than me suggested just putting it into Manual and then going from there. I got to grips with it very quickly and when I upgraded my camera to a D300, I kept it in Manual and I'm reaping the rewards of that now. I got myself out there and just kept taking pictures which helped a lot as theory is one thing but I found it better to learn from my mistakes.

Phill the Hill wrote:Stunning pictures. I have still to do these hills and you just moved them up my hit list.

What filters did you use?

I can't recommend them highly enough. It's not the most strenuous day out but it's highly rewarding.

I used a 3 stop LEE Hard grad although I have a 2 stop for when the light is poorer.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland