walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You aint seen nothing yet

You aint seen nothing yet

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Caisteal Abhail, Cìr Mhòr

Date walked: 15/10/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 2100m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I started walking I had the blinkers on and only wanted to do munros. Even when I completed the munros I swore that I would never start the corbetts. However a few months later and my corbett count stands at 43. For those of you with the same idea…. You aint seen nothing yet. You need to get yourself to Arran. This walk is up there with one of my best days on the hills. What a stunning walk and a great place for climbers too.

Dooterbang chose the location after looking at the weather forecast for Arran on the Sunday whilst i was working. I chose the route. I had read quite a few folk climbing these hills and adding in Goatfell and starting the walk from Glen Rosa. But I suggested that if we started the walk at North Sannox Bridge then we would have a shorter walk back from Glen Rosa after a long day. Also buses dont run that often from North Sannox and it was a school holiday...so even a longer walk at the end if we didnt catch the bus or get a hitch back.

Took the 7am ferry from Ardrossan to Arran (£10.75 return) and the bus (£2.80) to North Sannox Bridge.
arran 15th october 2012 006.jpg
Sunrise heading to Arran

After discussing our route with 2 guys from Ardrossan as we came off the bus we decided to head south straight up the hill from the car park. There is a faint path which is initially over boggy ground. I was worried about my new trail boots. :(
arran 15th october 2012 008.jpg
3months of not walking and hes struggling!!

Theres another good path which heads right and takes you up along the north sannox burn which the 2 guys took.

We headed up southwest towards Suidhe and here the views started to open up.
arran 15th october 2012 016.jpg
start of the ridge

arran 15th october 2012 023.jpg
ridge towards witches step

We followed the ridge along towards the witches step. At this point we heard the 2 guys whistle for us to come back. They thought we were attempting to climb the witches step. We had a small nosey at the top and this definitely was a no go for us. I believe ropes may be required there.

We headed back down and took the bypass path around to the right of the ridge There were a few tricky scrambles required here and not for the faint hearted. We followed the path around under the witches step and down to the bottom of the ledge below the witches step. We stopped for a couple of pictures to look up at the scary down climb.
arran 15th october 2012 029.jpg
witches step

arran 15th october 2012 033.jpg
looking back at the ridge and witches step

We scrambled up a small tricky part (me leading of course... you were awfully slow at that wee bit DB) and followed the ridge west towards Caisteal Abhail. There are a few very tricky climbs/ scrambles on the way towards Caisteal Adhail.
arran 15th october 2012 034.jpg
a few down climbs heading to Caisteall Abhail

arran 15th october 2012 038.jpg
Cir Mhor in the background

Just before the summit theres a path that heads up to some rocky climbs again. At this point we were walking with the guys who suggested to take the bypass path again around to the right. If your a climber with ropes you would be good to continue and downclimb this part just before the summit.
We stopped on numerous occasions on the final ascent to the first summit to admire the stunning views.
arran 15th october 2012 040.jpg
i believe i can fly.. Doots youve gone the wrong way

arran 15th october 2012 045.jpg
Caiteall Abhail looking towards Cri Mhor and Beinn Tarsuinn

Reached the summit on 3hours 50mins. Stopped for lunch here and sat admiring the magnificent views all around..

arran 15th october 2012 049.jpg
me on the summit of Caisteall Abhail

We headed south east down along the ridge and followed the path up to the next corbett Cir Mhor.
arran 15th october 2012 053.jpg
Cir Mhor

arran 15th october 2012 054.jpg
A Chir Ridge and Beinn Tarsuinn. Heading to Cir Mhor

arran 15th october 2012 055.jpg
Looking back to Caisteall Abhail

From Caisteall Abhail the next corbett looked to be a bit tricky. However only a small scramble was required up towards the summit and again stunning views all around.
arran 15th october 2012 056.jpg
Cir Mhor

arran 15th october 2012 059.jpg
summit of Cir Mhor

arran 15th october 2012 060.jpg
Cir Mhor summit

arran 15th october 2012 061.jpg
The Holy Isle

We headed south west where a path leads down towards the bealach at Coire Buidhe. A cairn marks the spot to take you back to Glen Rosa. The next part was the A ‘ Chir ridge. A great place for climbers where ropes were required we were informed.
arran 15th october 2012 067.jpg
A Chir ridge

We took the bypass path to the right of the ridge and headed downwards and around the right. The path seemed to head quite a bit down.... which i hate...prefer to stay high :D
We followed the path up to the bealach an Fhir bhogha were we chatted with guys who were working for the National trust and preparing the paths. Some of the guys were the same ones i had met when climbing the horns of Allign.
We followed the path south and around to the right of the ridge which was very icy and up to the summit of Beinn Tarsuinn.
arran 15th october 2012 076.jpg
Beinn Tarsuinn

Again we stopped to refuel and then headed south west along the ridge and west up to Beinn Nuis.
Here we headed north east and followed the path down towards the Garbh Allt. We crossed the river and here we found to be the boggiest part of the walk. A few falls in the mud were encountered. :wink:
Seen the 440pm ferry coming in ..there was no way we were catching that.
arran 15th october 2012 083.jpg
440 ferry

We picked up a path which was really boggy but well trodden. Once through and a second gate the path improved. We crossed a bridge and picked up a great path all the way back towards Glen Rosa.
arran 15th october 2012 092.jpg
looking back at Beinn Tarsuinn

arran 15th october 2012 094.jpg
glen rosa campsite! no toilets/showers

Back to Brodick for just before 6.
An hour and 20 mins to kill ..so took advantage of the 2 for 1 pizza offer in Eilean Mor cafe/bar... well worth a visit :D
Total time 9hours 20mins
Attachments
arran 15th october 2012 079.jpg
Beinn nuis
arran 15th october 2012 070.jpg
bypass path looking towards Beinn Tarsuinn
Last edited by mountain thyme on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: You aint seen nothing yet

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Been there seen it done it and you nearly got as good as weather as i got when i did these :lol: Bet you're glad now i introduced you took the Corbett :crazy: Great report MT, Arran is stunning in that weather :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Been there seen it done it and you nearly got as good as weather as i got when i did these :lol: Bet you're glad now i introduced you took the Corbett :crazy: Great report MT, Arran is stunning in that weather :thumbup:

Im eternally gratefull JC :lol: It truly is a fantastic walk... and especially on a beautiful day :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:05 pm

You picked the route???

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge :lol:

Fantastic day, and that pizza was fab.

Thank goodness you had protection for all them falls :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pigeon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 pm

2 for 1 pizzas,superb :lol: That looks a brill set of hills MT,never been to Arran ,another place added to the ever growing list .Well done both :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 pm

dooterbang wrote:You picked the route???

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge :lol:

Fantastic day, and that pizza was fab.

Thank goodness you had protection for all them falls :wink:

Yeah if we went your route we would still be walking from Glen Sannox :wink:
It was a great day..thanks for company

pigeon wrote:2 for 1 pizzas,superb :lol: That looks a brill set of hills MT,never been to Arran ,another place added to the ever growing list .Well done both :thumbup:

Thanks Pigeon. You can add on goatfell too but we didnt as we both had climbed it. It is a walk to keep for a clear day :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Epic stuff MT - enjoyed that. :thumbup: Great views and a good mix of terrain - well done....and glad to see you're looking after the convalescing dooters :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 pm

wow - great hike ML beautifully captured in your pics...bet you're glad you didn't stick with Munros only :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Well done MT & Doots,stuning pictures.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Oww, that looks great! 8) I'm glad to read that there is life after munro-bagging. There may be hope for me :lol:
Paula Hubens

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:00 pm

rockhopper wrote:Epic stuff MT - enjoyed that. :thumbup: Great views and a good mix of terrain - well done....and glad to see you're looking after the convalescing dooters :wink: - cheers :)

cheers Rockhopper... lots of different terrain on this walk

ChrisW wrote:wow - great hike ML beautifully captured in your pics...bet you're glad you didn't stick with Munros only :wink: :D

Thanks Chris... it was a beautiful hike ..very high up on the one of my best yet :)

gammy leg walker wrote:Well done MT & Doots,stuning pictures.

Cheers GLW... mines are straight from my camera.. Doots spends hours editing and trying to airbrush ones with him in them :D

Paula Hubens wrote:Oww, that looks great! 8) I'm glad to read that there is life after munro-bagging. There may be hope for me :lol:

Cheers Paula... If Doots can manage it anyone can :wink:
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Did i not "fix" the settings on your camera :wink:

I sent a few hours airbrushing your bottom so it would fit in the shot :lol:

More walking means more pizza :roll:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:51 am

[quote="dooterbang"]Did i not "fix" the settings on your camera :wink:Ha Ha Ha someone having to show you how to work your camera MT? :crazy: :lol: :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby robertphillips » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:06 am

Well done guys, loved this walk a classic ridge walk. :lol:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:04 pm

been wanting to visit Arran for a while ..that looks greeeat :) :) thanks for sharing :D
SAVAGEALICE

Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland