walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Wee Guy" completes Schiehallion for his 23rd Munro!

"Wee Guy" completes Schiehallion for his 23rd Munro!

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 13/10/2012

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Anyone who has read previous reports will know my reports are turning into being more of a story of an epic adventure with my wee guy, Kyle. This one is just a quick report for a quick Munro! The forecast was not great for the weekend, but we were keen to get out and try to climb a hill or too! Kyle was chomping at the bit on Friday to go camping; the torrential rain put that idea off the agenda though. :( We decided that we would have an early start on Sat morning and headed for Perthshire again. The chosen target was Schiehallion, mainly because it was a relatively short walk given the rainy conditions. By the time we got to the car park it was dry but lots of low cloud hanging at about 750m, no summits to be seen today! Lots of cars and some people just setting off as well, by the time we got going the others would have been at least half an hour in front of us. Leaving the car at 11.50 we headed up as quickly as ever, Wee Guy was jogging and poor old dad and Marley trying to keep up!
DSC01559.JPG
The "mountain goat" on look out!
We soon caught the other group of people on the first steeper sections, exchanged a few words and then we pushed on up leaving them behind. It must be quite demoralising to have a wee mountain goat aged 6 years come steaming past you!
DSC01590.JPG
Heading into the clouds!
As we climbed higher and higher the weather got worse and worse. Before long it was on with the full waterproofs, hats and gloves. Poor old Marley the Munro Dug even looked hacked off!
DSC01573.JPG
Kyle and Marley in the SLIPPY boulder field!
DSC01567.JPG
The summit is up there somewhere!
The final approach to the summit was through a boulder field and it was a “nightmare”, very very slippy underfoot because of the wet rocks, poor Kyle took a tumble and bashed his thumb, no lasting damage though, quickly picked himself up and moved onwards and upwards. The summit itself was slippy as it mainly consisted of big slabs.
DSC01568.JPG
Munro 23!
Kyle’s 23rd Munro (mission completed) :clap: , he has almost completed 10% of them now, his wee blue pins on the map are starting to look very impressive. A quick summit photo and then down, clouds everywhere and not a single break in the clouds.
DSC01571.JPG
Marley looking a bit hacked off, time for home!
As we descended via the same route the clouds broke briefly to allow us some scenes / views. Out came the camera and the snapping started. We then returned to car in a very respectable time 4hrs 25mins.
DSC01576.JPG
Celebrations as the clouds begin to lift!
We did considered camping with a view to climbing again on the Sunday, but somehow the rain put us off, we returned home and enjoyed our nice warm beds for a change!
DSC01586.JPG
Me, ma boy and the dug on the way down, Loch Tay in the background!
To sum it up, a short day out, good result for all and proud dads smile continues to get bigger, the Wee Guy just keeps on walking. 23 Munros and one failure since April, our adventures continue……. :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: "Wee Guy" completes Schiehallion for his 23rd Munro!

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 am

You're a braver pair than me, I waited until Sunday before venturing out :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby yellowbelly » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Well done Wee Guy, you're 1 ahead of me now, and it's taken me 28 years! :lol:
Love the last photo of the three of you.
Good luck and keep going :wink:
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby weescotsman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Well done Team Marley again.... :clap:

I did this in February but we had snow and ice to contend with so it's was nearer 5 hrs for us but it's still a classic walk and famous for the location of where map contour lines were invented way back in the 1700's.

Think the call to have an overnight in bed rather than camping was good; I had a fail on Beinn Ime myself on Saturday. Twas a right miserable day and once you come off the decent path past The Cobbler it's just a steep bogfest. Got about 3/4 of the way up before calling it a day. :roll:

Think I'll give it another go in winter when hopefully the bogland will be frozen over and a lot easier to ascend..... :D
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Well done and hope there was no lasting damage to the thumb! Things are always more of a challenge when it's cold and raw. :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Fudgie wrote:You're a braver pair than me, I waited until Sunday before venturing out :lol:

Sunday was a good day, hope you had a gud one!:)
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 pm

yellowbelly wrote:Well done Wee Guy, you're 1 ahead of me now, and it's taken me 28 years! :lol:
Love the last photo of the three of you.
Good luck and keep going :wink:

cheers pal, thanks for the comments!:) I just hope i can keep up with him.lol
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 pm

weescotsman wrote:Well done Team Marley again.... :clap:

I did this in February but we had snow and ice to contend with so it's was nearer 5 hrs for us but it's still a classic walk and famous for the location of where map contour lines were invented way back in the 1700's.

Think the call to have an overnight in bed rather than camping was good; I had a fail on Beinn Ime myself on Saturday. Twas a right miserable day and once you come off the decent path past The Cobbler it's just a steep bogfest. Got about 3/4 of the way up before calling it a day. :roll:

Think I'll give it another go in winter when hopefully the bogland will be frozen over and a lot easier to ascend..... :D

Thanks Brian....thats a shame about Ime, next time for sure!:) I think we are going after those hills next...maybe see you there!:)
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:56 pm

dogplodder wrote:Well done and hope there was no lasting damage to the thumb! Things are always more of a challenge when it's cold and raw. :?

Cheers dogplodder, the thumb is all gud, thanks...he was back on the BMX on Sunday!:) And yes...the wilder and colder the better, cheers!:)
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Cracking photo of a dog who wants to be lying in front of an open fire instead of a cold rocky mountain top :lol:

Well done on another leg in a lifelong adventure, which you're fortunate enough to be recording in real time for future reference...some memories :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby weescotsman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:10 am

I'd definitely wait until winter to do Beinn Ime as some of the bogs are deep enough for Kyle and Marley to fall right into...... next one I'm planning is Ben More on 4th Nov and that will complete the Crianlarich munros for me. Would be nice to get some decent weather. I don't mind snow or rain really, just the clag. Fingers crossed.....
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby davedanson28 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:32 am

dooterbang wrote:Cracking photo of a dog who wants to be lying in front of an open fire instead of a cold rocky mountain top :lol:

Well done on another leg in a lifelong adventure, which you're fortunate enough to be recording in real time for future reference...some memories :wink:

Thanks for the comments, yes open fire was defo on his mind! :D
Great memories are indeed being generated, magic! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:35 am

weescotsman wrote:I'd definitely wait until winter to do Beinn Ime as some of the bogs are deep enough for Kyle and Marley to fall right into...... next one I'm planning is Ben More on 4th Nov and that will complete the Crianlarich munros for me. Would be nice to get some decent weather. I don't mind snow or rain really, just the clag. Fingers crossed.....

Thanks for the heads up on the bogs! :wink: Your probably right, wait for the frost to harden it up a bit!
Hope you get Ben More, we to are set to try and get that one after our failure on it a few weeks back! good luck! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland