walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach na Dheiragain via Inverinate Estate

Mullach na Dheiragain via Inverinate Estate

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am

Route description: Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan group, Alltbeithe

Munros included on this walk: Mullach na Dheiragain

Date walked: 14/10/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having driven up that morning we arrived at the parking area at the entrance to the Estate just after ten with the comment from Jimmy that " at least we're acclimatised for it". This comment was due to the fact i like my car to be cool when driving where as Jimmy has his like a sauna, where you sweat more on the drive up than you do walking the Munros. After Jimmy and Mo got out the car to get warmed up we got the bikes off and got set for the off. I had previously walked out this track in August whilst doing a couple of Corbetts so i knew it would be perfect for cycling. We cycled as far as Iron Lodge which took around 1hr 20mins negotiating Highland Cows, a Black Highland Bull who sighed and lowered his head as we passed him, he was on the track and wasn't for moving as well as Sheep and Deer. From Iron Lodge we took the track around the Lodge which climbed up to Lochan Droma, leaving it shortly after to another track before a steep climb to gain the ridge. Once on the ridge it was easier going as we continued to the 947 top for lunch then the final short walk to the summit, taking 5hrs in total. We returned via the inward route taking 3hrs to return to the car and thankfully on the outward most of the cattle were off the track. A long hoof this one but made so much easier with the bikes. When we returned we drove to Craig to spend the night at Jerrys Bunkhouse, not the best but thats another story, to prepare for Mondays 3 Munros.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jerrys 003.JPG
Stag

Jerrys 004.JPG
Track in

Jerrys 006.JPG
One of the Highland Cows

Jerrys 007.JPG
Iron Lodge behind the trees

Jerrys 008.JPG
Strath Duilleach

Jerrys 009.JPG
Our target at the back

Jerrys 010.JPG
Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Jerrys 012.JPG
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan

Jerrys 013.JPG
The summit from 974m mark

Jerrys 014.JPG
SnC again

Jerrys 015.JPG
An Socach

Jerrys 016.JPG
Summit

Jerrys 017.JPG
On way down

Jerrys 018.JPG
The north Mullardoch Munros

Jerrys 020.JPG
View to the Cuillins

Jerrys 021.JPG
Carn na Breabaig & Aonach Buidhe

Jerrys 022.JPG
Loch Mullardoch

Jerrys 023.JPG
North west to two Corbetts

Jerrys 025.JPG
Highland Coos on the cycle out
Last edited by Johnny Corbett on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Mullach na Dheiragain via Inverinate Estate

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I dont think it costs more petrol to heat the car!! What do you think Jimmy? Tight east coasters??
Mo will need to do that one again... shes not in the summit pic :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Cracking report JC and a fine preparation for monday, love the highland coos doing just exactly what they do, staring at you as if to say "what the hell are you doing" :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:15 am

mountain thyme wrote:I dont think it costs more petrol to heat the car!! What do you think Jimmy? Tight east coasters??
Mo will need to do that one again... shes not in the summit pic :D
The car runs on diesel MT :lol:
ChrisW wrote:Cracking report JC and a fine preparation for monday, love the highland coos doing just exactly what they do, staring at you as if to say "what the hell are you doing" :lol:
Thanks Chris, you're lucky you've only got bears to worry about, no Highlands Coos for you :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby malky_c » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I remember the black bull well - it didn't want to move for me either.

Good approach. I will be going back up this one from this direction at some point :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland