walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fremington Edge from Reeth

Fremington Edge from Reeth

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Date walked: 16/10/2012

Distance: 7 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had some jobs to do near Richmond and up on the moor at Stelling which is on the "other side" of Fremington edge. I decided to make a day of it and go on to Reeth where I could walk up to Fremington Edge. It makes a dramatic backdrop to the village of Reeth and I've fancied a walk up there for a while.
PA161975.JPG
Fremington Edge from Reeth green

Anyway Rudolph had jobs to do at home so I went on my own. It was a horrible morning with torrential rain and I was considering just going home to Teesside and doing the usual whiz up Roseberry Topping but then the sun came out briefly and that was my decision made.
I parked in Reeth Green where there is a donation box asking for 50p or a pound which I was happy to pay. Got the boots on and set off munching my sandwich as I walked along the road leading up Arkengarthdale. After about half a mile I took a right off across the fields, where there was a polite notice asking walkers to go in single file. I was happy to comply with that instruction as well. It is one of those great Dales paths where you climb the stile, spot the one on the opposite side of the field and head for it.
PA161977.JPG
nice gated stile.

PA161978.JPG

PA161984.JPG
looking up the dale towards the hamlet of Booze

It was very cold and I was walking into the wind which occasionally chucked a few large wet raindrops at me but thankfully the worst of the rain was past.
After a while the path goes down to a bridge over the Arkle Beck. It was a huge torrent with all the rain we have had.
PA161985.JPG
track to the bridge across the beck and to Castle Farm

PA161987.JPG
Arkle Beck full of water and the bridge

the path then heads pretty much straight up the hill after passing Castle Farm House and I went up a wee green road between too walls to find a notice on the other side of the gate at the other end telling me that there was no access- but there was a very helpful stile!
PA161989.JPG
helpful stile and notice after I had crossed.

Going uphill was hard work as the wind was blowing my breath away but there was plenty to see with rabbits, mushrooms and the remains of old mines. At one time the lead mining industry employed nearly 300 people in Arkengarthdale.
PA161991.JPG
nearly at the top

Once I got to the top the wind was behind me and I was pretty much blown along the edge of the Edge which was great fun. I went down on the next path which is the track from Hurst to Fremington then back over the soggy fields to Reeth.
PA162002.JPG
old barn and my way down past the white house and down the field on the left.

PA162003.JPG
a couple of locals - Swaledale sheep the symbol of the Yorkshire Dales national Park. When I were a lass we called him Tom Postlethwaite - but he might have been a girl.

Track_16-OCT-12 150609.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Fremington Edge from Reeth

Postby shish » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:05 pm

I was wondering if you'd beaten the weather. Well done you. That looks a lovely satisfactory circular routed walk. I had a little adventure of my own doing a circular route round the field the cows and bull were in last week with a lovely swollen burn at the bottom and some very jumpy pheasants at the top. The cow and bulls have moved on since last week.
shish
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   

Postby shish » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:08 pm

...also is that a dead ferret wrapped around the bottom of the gate on the stile/gate/no access picture?
shish
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:21 am

Lovely hike Mrs S, strange to have to walk through a 'no access' area to find the 'no access' sign :wtf: and then a helpful style too :crazy: As for the sheep, as a local lass ewe should be able to tell the difference from birth :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am

Are you sure it wasn't Black Hambleton you were walking :wink:

Like you I've never wandered along Fremington edge but thought about it many times. Might just give it a go one day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:34 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Are you sure it wasn't Black Hambleton you were walking :wink:

ha ha! :lol:
shish wrote:...also is that a dead ferret wrapped around the bottom of the gate on the stile/gate/no access picture?

oh I never noticed that, I think it's a lump of sheep's wool. it was a good walk. And the sun came out beautifully as I was driving home with fantastic views all the way to Roseberry Topping!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby shish » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:56 pm

shish wrote:...also is that a dead ferret wrapped around the bottom of the gate on the stile/gate/no access picture?

Shame you didn't spot it , it could have been a cuff :wink:
shish
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:39 pm

It's a lovely area whatever the weather and I enjoyed your photos :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby yellowbelly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Know the area well. Leave those magic mushrooms for the locals :wink:
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby colgregg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Fremington edge is a great walk. The path up from Castle farm and through the crags to the top of the edge gives the impression of a real mountain climb. I normally set off from Hurst on my Frem edge walks which is a good starting point.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for posting, Its years since I have been up on the edge, think its time I ventured back
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 pm

colgregg wrote:Fremington edge is a great walk. The path up from Castle farm and through the crags to the top of the edge gives the impression of a real mountain climb. I normally set off from Hurst on my Frem edge walks which is a good starting point.

would have been handy for me after being at Stelling but I wanted a good climb and I certainly got one!
L-Hiking wrote:Thanks for posting, Its years since I have been up on the edge, think its time I ventured back

definitely worth it
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:09 am

Nice wander Mrs S...strange about the access though! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Rudolph » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 pm

yellowbelly wrote:Know the area well. Leave those magic mushrooms for the locals :wink:

Yes - how did the mushrooms work out?
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Dalesdaisy » Sat May 12, 2018 8:16 pm

We are walkers ourselves but please DO NOT use the ‘wee walled lane’ it is not. Public right of way and the endless stream of walkers is damaging this precious ancient site.
You are trespassing.
If you want to cross from the footpath to the bridleway, you can do so at the ruined house 800yards away at 035 005 on the map. Thank you.
Dalesdaisy
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland