walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chochuill and Eunaich - sounds as good as it was

Chochuill and Eunaich - sounds as good as it was

Postby old danensian » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 15/10/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1256m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It hit minus 3 as the road dropped from Tyndrum into Glen Lochay and everything was shrouded in mist by the time Dalmally was reached. There was no hint of hills above as the car was parked at the bridge over the Allt Mhoille, just the distant bleat of invisible sheep and the echoing clank of a steel gate being closed. The air was still and everything looked set for the inversion that conditions promised.

Eunaich-01.jpg
Early morning mists up Glen Lochay

Eunaich-02.jpg
There's hills in them there mists - at Castles Farm

The early morning mist was a blessing. It masked the relentlessly rising track as it disappeared upwards from Castles Farm. At least you could only see a few yards of the track immediately in front, rather than the dispiriting prospect of all the height and distance ahead as it snaked away. Sometimes ignorance is bliss – or at least less tiring.

After twenty minutes or so a large cairn emerged out of mist, marking the point at which the descent from Beinn Eunaich and Stob Maol meets the outward route. At this stage there was the suggestion of sun and the hint of blue above.

A few yards further and the path came out of the inversion and the day ahead was laid out against a perfectly clear blue sky. There are days when you just know that everything is going to fall into place: this was one of them.

Eunaich-03.jpg
Sron an Isean - as the path tops out of the mists

Once past another spectacular blue sight (a building site toilet), the bridge across the Allt Lairig Ianachain was soon reached and I began to look for signs of the path up to the right. 300 metres the guide suggests, but by the time I’d counted 350 steps and nothing had been encountered, I thought “sod it” and just struck off up the hillside. There may have been a cairn marking the route a little further on, but it wasn’t worth waiting for.

So began the only really tough part of the day, a forty five minute slog up the rib that falls from the summit ridge of Beinn Chochuill. One benefit of tackling steeper ground is that water flows off it quickly. As a result, it was easy to find a relatively dry way between damper patches of ground: quite an achievement for this year.

Eunaich-04.jpg
Small but perfectly formed - cairn marking the acces to the summit ridge of Beinn Chochuill

It may have been hard work, but the emerging views of Stob Diamh and Ben Cruachan occupied the mind and soon enough the skyline was broached and the views north burst into view. Fragments of hills and lochs were glimpsed between patches of mist that still hung around, but beyond Ben Starav it was difficult to tell if tops were clear and folks could be enjoying a similarly spectacular day. I’ll find out on WH later no doubt.

Eunaich-05.jpg
Looking back down to Loch Awe from eastern end of Beinn Chochuill

Eunaich-06.jpg
Summit ridge of Beinn Chochuill

With an easy amble across the final stretch of summit ridge, I was pleased to reach the top in just 2 hrs 10 min and not feeling too knackered either. Once stopped however, the chill could be felt in the breeze and it wasn’t a time to hang around once the obligatory photographs had been taken.

Eunaich-07.jpg
Ben Cruachan from top of Beinn Chochuill

Turning round, the remainder of the day wended its way in front of me, and stretched across to Beinn Eunaich. Those down in the valley and around Loch Awe were now getting a chance to see blue sky as the clouds below began to break up and drift across the tops.

Eunaich-08.jpg
Twisting route across to Beinn Eunaich

Although it’s a depressing drop to the bealach, the slope beyond is relatively gradual for most of the way. It only rears up in its rockier final couple of hundred feet when the large pile of stones appears offering plenty of opportunities to shelter and rest.

Eunaich-09.jpg
South to Loch Awe from summit of Beinn Eunaich

Eunaich-10.jpg
Looking back through the mists to Beinn Chochuill

After a half hour for lunch and absorbing the views down Kinglass, I worked out which bits of which hills I could still see, then began the descent towards Stob Maol and back down the steep slope to the work track.

Eunaich-11.jpg
That wasn't there this morning - view of Stob Diamh and Beinn Chochuill from Castles Farm

Five hours out and I was back at the car, walking past the farm and looking back to the view that wasn’t there in the morning. The weather was scheduled to be grotty for the next few days, so I was more than happy with what had been a surprisingly gentle day.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Chochuill and Eunaich - sounds as good as it was

Postby mrssanta » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Perfect!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Loved these two when I did them - but didn't get your inversion. Very nice. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby gordon l » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Some great pics there, especially the one of route towards eunaich. Nice wee pair for a quick walk.
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Stretch » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Glorious, OD! I enjoyed these hills, but they would have been better with that inversion you saw!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Stunning Nigel 8) . Loved these two as a winter walk a couple years ago :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Brilliant. That takes me back ...... to yesterday! :lol: No debate about who got the better day for it though! :shock: Yours looked quite summery. Mine was pure winter! :crazy:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Stunning photos from two underated hills. Must have been great walking out of that mist to the sight of blue sky above :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Paula Hubens » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Great report OD and stunning pictures 8)
Paula Hubens

Postby Fudgie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:52 am

I agree with Pete above about these two hills being under rated. I did them on a day where Chochuill was clear at the summit providing great views but by the time we reached the top of Eunaich the wind rain and cloud was giving us a battering. It was clear at a lower level for us so we could see the entire path and it didn't look bad at all.

We also just headed up the side of the hill as we couldn't see the cairn and it wasn't the hardest ascent I've done. You've taken some great pictures there on what looks like a great day out.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:39 am

Very nice Clive, your photos are some of the best I've seen of these two hills.

Love your early morning ones best- must confess to having the theme from MASH running through my head when I saw them :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby GillC » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:52 am

Fantastic,,thats one on the radar... :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby monty » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Lovely views OD. Have you told G :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby old danensian » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks everyone - and yes, it must have been galling for Graeme - but I liked his view from the little orange bubble.

But I must confess to being confused Polly - given the title for the MASH theme - it wasn't that bad!

OD / Nigel
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland