walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stac Pollaidh

Stac Pollaidh

by maddjock » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 07/12/2009

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Stac Pollaidh

Postby sloosh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:26 am

gaffr wrote:Hello,
Thanks for sharing your very fine images with us all.....I don't know what HDR is? If it means using this carry on using .......is it something that you fit to your camera? ...or?.... these are great!

HDR is a software method of combining a number of exposures of the same scene so that significantly more detail is visible in an image. It can produce some stunning results but can also result in 'fake' looking pics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/ ... ssing.html
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Cuillin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 pm

That's made my evening seeing those beautiful pics and I bet you'll treasure those views for many's a year. :D :D 8)
Cuillin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:62   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: I don't think those photos would look out of place in the new Joe Cornish book. Superb. 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby IainG » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Stunning images. I think they're better that the ones Cornish published! :D :D :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby maddjock » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 am

thanks all for your wonderful comments.... what a difference a day makes, was down in Affric yesterday but the light refused to play ball. Heading off to Ben Loyal in a minute for todays episode of chasing the light... :D

LeithySuburbs wrote:BTW, do you (or anyone else) have a UWA lens? - I'm thinking of getting one for Crimbo and wondering if I should.

yep, these were all taken with an UWA... I would say go for it... there was a thread recently I commented on about this lens.

John Burgess wrote: :lol: I know some (my wife included) who might dispute that.

lol... yeah, I should rephrase... straightforward as in follow the path to the top... however depending on your abilities, you may find this steep and difficult, and especially difficult/impossible/dangerous trying to access the 2 tops at either end of this hill... be careful :!:

mountain coward wrote:Those are beautiful... however, I'm never going to get any of those as I refuse to be out and about at sunrise...

lol... you snooze... you lose... 8)

thanks once again guys for the comments... much appreciated :thumbup:
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:49 am

On your 2nd last pic titled "stac pollaidh"- which side is this taken from? South looking North? Do you ascend from the other side, appearing on the top on the right of this pic- then if desired scramble along, right-left in your pic, to the 2nd top. Did you do it that day?

Just curious after the discussion in this recent thread: Stac Pollaidh - how hard is the scramble to true summit?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby maddjock » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:20 am

HighlandSC wrote:On your 2nd last pic titled "stac pollaidh"- which side is this taken from? South looking North? Do you ascend from the other side, appearing on the top on the right of this pic- then if desired scramble along, right-left in your pic, to the 2nd top. Did you do it that day?

Just curious after the discussion in this recent thread: Stac Pollaidh - how hard is the scramble to true summit?

picture was taken from the outermost eastern top looking west... the path runs around behind the hill and you come up onto a levelish spot. From here there is a small summit above you to the left, probably the summit for the majority of people who do this walk. There is a bit of a scramble to get to the outermost spot where I took the photos from at the eastern end, and a difficult scramble to get to the true summit at the western end. The plan was too hopefully take the pics from the true summit and overlooking the length of Stac Pollaidh, but whereas I could get to the top with a bit of trouble, getting there with a tripod and camera was a bit too difficult... rocks were a bit wet and was actually harder to come down than going up.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Freewheelin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:14 am

That first shot is simply stunning.

Studied it for a couple of minutes and then decided there had been some jiggery-pokery.
I am not a great fan of footered-with photies and applaud all the 'point & click masters'.

If that was taken jiggery-pokery free, I salute you Sir!
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:42 am

maddjock wrote:
HighlandSC wrote:On your 2nd last pic titled "stac pollaidh"- which side is this taken from? South looking North? Do you ascend from the other side, appearing on the top on the right of this pic- then if desired scramble along, right-left in your pic, to the 2nd top. Did you do it that day?

picture was taken from the outermost eastern top looking west... the path runs around behind the hill and you come up onto a levelish spot. From here there is a small summit above you to the left, probably the summit for the majority of people who do this walk. There is a bit of a scramble to get to the outermost spot where I took the photos from at the eastern end, and a difficult scramble to get to the true summit at the western end. The plan was too hopefully take the pics from the true summit and overlooking the length of Stac Pollaidh, but whereas I could get to the top with a bit of trouble, getting there with a tripod and camera was a bit too difficult... rocks were a bit wet and was actually harder to come down than going up.

Thanks, that's useful, well after I worked out the confusion - I was talking about the pic below (the full landscape shot of the mountain), and you're describing the "top stach pollaidh" taken standing on the east top looking to the west top. Looking again at the full picture landscape (comparing to an OS map) it's clear your looking south to north, with the higher top on the left of the pic.

Hope I get a fine day like that when I go up there :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby martyn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:52 am

Love that little mountain. Love your photos.
martyn
Munro compleatist

Postby FMCKIE » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:13 pm

What a picture :shock:
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby maddjock » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Freewheelin wrote:That first shot is simply stunning.

Studied it for a couple of minutes and then decided there had been some jiggery-pokery.
I am not a great fan of footered-with photies and applaud all the 'point & click masters'.

If that was taken jiggery-pokery free, I salute you Sir!

no jiggery-pokery here.... only 8 previous failed attempts due to inaccurate timing and the difficulty in manual focussing in the near dark... not sure about a master but Im working on it... :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland