walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a Chlamain

Carn a Chlamain

Postby dawnfoth » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Chlamain

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Chlamain

Date walked: 20/10/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 29 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So here goes my first Walk Report....

The forecast I saw had indicated fog and mist. Not a great day for someone who doesn't navigate very well. However, I am climbing the walls and need to get out. And this is the hill because I have had my eye on knocking it off since long before I climbed Beinn Dearg (its neighbour) a few weeks ago. The drive from Dunblane to Blair Atholl was indicating that the forecast might just be right... :roll:

I left the car at cowboy time bursting for a pee (yeah I know you really don't want to know)... Being a woman though - this is a problem. There is never anywhere to hide! :?

I was taking my bike for this trip and the route was right across the road from the car park (the sign is a bit of a giveaway). The trees are bursting with colour and the river is running wild at the bottom of a very deep gorge. I kept going past Marble Lodge, a lovely wee self catering cottage and continued on to the bridge opposite Balaneasie. 1hr 10mins

track 3.jpg
I think thats my hill....

marble lodge.jpg
Marble Lodge

This is where I dumped my bike and started walking up the side of the grassy hill. I was so desperate for a pee I had to go on the middle of the open hillside. I just got my trousers up when I saw a chap at the bottom of the hill. Phew! :shock:

The weather was looking good and I got a glimpse of the grey rocky summit. However, 20 minutes later cloud appeared, so I played my Safety Card, which was to follow the track all the way as it takes a detour. The chap behind me had gone cross country.

last jaunt to summit.jpg
Last jaunt to the summit

Anyway, I eventually reached the summit all clouded in, but moving.... I briefly chatted to the chap on the summit, whilst scoffing lunch and grapes. Another guy appeared over the shoulder after Chap 1 took off. I stayed on the summit for about half an hour. It was really nice and Beinn Dearg and the Beinn a Ghlo range were both clearing. The munro tops are littered with dribs and drabs of snow, but don't get excited.... Chap 2 arrived (Ahhhh.... mr man I met in the car park).... Gee whizz, he was motoring on... took me 2hrs from bike park..... half an hour on summit

me on carn a chlamain.jpg
Thats me on the summit

looking east to ghlo.jpg
Looking East to Beinn a Ghlo

looking down the valley1.jpg
Looking back down the glen from the summit

I left the summit wearing four layers on top and two on the bottom and I was starting to get cold... so I decided this time to go cross country. There is actually a wee path and a gap in the dyke where it heads down to meet the track. This path is a little soft in places, but nothing serious.

carn a chlamain.jpg
Carn a Chlamain

Carn Liath, Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar were all clear now as I was heading down. Back at the bike in an hour.

I must say I am not excited about the bike out.... it's not downhill all the way. I am going to have to do some work. Layers off :clap: Back on the bike. I met a bike, at least 16 people, 1 dog and 2 cars.... Busy busy place.

Took me 45mins to cycle back to the car. :clap: Great day!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Re: Carn a Chlamain

Postby Lenore » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:06 pm

And a good first report it is!

I recognize those anxious moments us ladies have to endure out there in the open with our trousers down haha!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Well done on your 1st report.

I remember doing both Munros few months back and not wearing padded cycling shorts, the agony :shock:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Lenore wrote:And a good first report it is!

I recognize those anxious moments us ladies have to endure out there in the open with our trousers down haha!

Thank you Lenore - there is nowhere to hide up there I can assure you :lol:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm

dooterbang wrote:Well done on your 1st report.

I remember doing both Munros few months back and not wearing padded cycling shorts, the agony :shock:

hahaha... my backside was alright as far as the cycling was concerned :wink: Thanks
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Nice first report,and if you've got to go ,you've got to go :lol: :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Good first report!
I love Glen Tilt, apart from the fact that there is no way of discretely answering a call of nature :lol: I found this out a few years ago.
Paula Hubens

Postby monty » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 am

Nice first report Dawn. Aye there's no place to hide on this route :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby iainwatson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 pm

good first report! :D

still to do this so your timings will be useful,thanks
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks guys! What I forgot to mention are the red squirrels I saw on the way in..... :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Good report, wish I could do as well. Looks like the day although cold was pretty kind to you as long as you kept walking. Not a day for hanging about. Look forward to seeing other reports from yourself :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby ken reid » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:41 pm

great first report, I remember doing this hill on the 31 dec 2011. there was a lot of ice on the track on the way in and out but the hill was clear mind you I walked in and out not having a bike with me so it took me a bit longer.looking forward to your next report . ps have you heard of a little device called a shwee my walking partner often uses one and they are very discreet
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:45 pm

ken reid wrote:great first report, I remember doing this hill on the 31 dec 2011. there was a lot of ice on the track on the way in and out but the hill was clear mind you I walked in and out not having a bike with me so it took me a bit longer.looking forward to your next report . ps have you heard of a little device called a shwee my walking partner often uses one and they are very discreet

A shwee? No, but I will be looking it up - I can guess - thanks for the heads up. Now perhaps I can be ladylike :lol:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 pm

it's actually called a shewee. I haven't got one and I don't want one either, but apparently they are popular. boys certainly have an easier time in this department :roll:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 pm

The Glen Tilt road, Gilbert's Bridge and Marble Lodge, takes me back to my years of wonderful adventures in Scouting :D
Great report, well done :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland