walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A superb day on Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

A superb day on Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 am

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich

Date walked: 21/10/2012

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set out yesterday, with thirty-three other members and guests of the MMC, on a Bus Meet to Loch Quoich.

After picking up members in Elgin, Forres and Inverness the bus continued on to eventually park up for the day beside the Glen Quoich bridge at NH016040. Members and guests were dropped-off at various points along the narrow road leading to Kinloch Hourn to undertake various objectives including Sgurr Choinnich, Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach, Gairich, Sgurr an Fhuarain, Sgurr a’Mhaoraich and Sgurr nan Eugallt. The bus got turned circa 1.5km beyond the bridge, which is from where we started our walk.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

We walked a short distance back along the road towards the bridge to find the start of the excellent stalker’s path that makes its way up the Bac nan Canaichean ridge of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich.

As we walked along the road we passed numerous road-side stags. These stags seemed used to posing to have their photo taken.

Stag:

Stag:

Stag:

I set off up the stalker’s path with Gregor, Graeme and Donnie who were superb company throughout the day.

Gregor ascending stalker’s path up Sgurr a’Mhaoraich:

The early morning views were pretty-good. The sun was shining and the weather was set to improve as the day went on.

Looking back to Loch Quoich:

Ridge leading to Sgurr nan Eugallt:

The good stalker’s path made for fast progress up the hill. As we made our way up the hill, Donnie spotted some Club members on the ridge of Gleoraich. I was able to see them through my camera zoom lens. This got us onto the conversation about needing glasses :roll: :lol:.

Loch Quoich:

Looking across to Gleouraich:

During the ascent, we spotted what would appear to be a small landing strip, down in Glen Quoich.

Landing strip near Alltbeithe:

After about an hour into the walk, the cloud began to lift above the summits providing views across to the South Glen Shiel ridge.

South Glen Shiel ridge:

After passing an area with a number of massive schist boulders, we reached and followed the crest of the ridge.

Ascending Sgurr a’Mhaoraich:

Looking back along ridge of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich:

Ascending Sgurr a’Mhaoraich:

A short distance below the summit, Donnie advised that the conditions were ideal for Brocken Spectres. He was absolutely right as we saw several during the final ascent to the summit :).

Brocken Spectre:

We had a good break at the summit for a bite to eat and to take in the views … and what views!

From the summit, we could make out and name all the local hills including the Saddle Sgurr na Sgine, Beinn Sgritheall, Ladhar Bheinn, Gairich, Gleouraich, etc. The visibility was excellent so we could also see An Sgurr on the Isle of Eigg and as far North as the Torridon hills.

View from the summit of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich:

View from the summit of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich

The summit of this hill provides great views along the length of Loch Hourn towards Barrisdale.

Loch Hourn (zoom):

The Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine (zoom):

Beinn Sgritheal, the Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine:

Admiring the views:

At the summit, I suggested that I would like to go on to ascend Sgurr a’Mhaoraich Beag which is a Munro Top. The others were happy to join me :).

Ascending Sgurr a’Mhaoraich Beag:

It didn’t take long to reach the summit of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich Beag from where there are even better views down to Loch Hourn.

View from the summit of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich Beag:

Graeme, Donnie and Gregor at the summit of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich Beag:

From Sgurr a’Mhaoraich Beag we returned to the col between it and Sgurr a’Mhaoraich. Instead of re-ascending Sgurr a’Mhaoraich we decided to skirt round the side of the hill to reach the South ridge of the hill, which we would follow back to the road.

During the descent we spotted a huge bird flying high directly above us. I’m pretty-sure it was a Golden Eagle as it was very large and had quite wide wings, compared with a buzzard.

Golden Eagle:

We followed a path much of the way down the South ridge of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich which avoided the various rocky outcrops on this ridge.

Looking back at descent from Sgurr a’Mhaoraich:

Looking back at descent from Sgurr a’Mhaoraich:

On reaching the road, we walked just over two kilometres back along the road to reach the bus which was parked-up at the bridge. We were again treated to close-up views of a number of stags at the roadside.

Everyone made it back to the bus safely and pleased with their day out. We managed to squeeze in just enough time for a quick pint on the way back to get the bus back on schedule.

A superb day out.
foggieclimber

Re: A superb day on Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 pm

This is the best report I've seen on this hill with wonderful shots of stags. They don't seem too bothered about possibility of being shot. :shock: :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby basscadet » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Aye, a superb report there.. :clap:
I was also on this hill yesterday.. Dougie and I were ascending the south ridge while you were skirting round :) We heard voices, and then saw folk behind us on the ridge, and did wonder how we managed to pass you without actually meeting anyone :crazy: I was in the yellow car parked up by the bus :D
We were awoken Sunday morning by members of your party being dropped off beside our camp spot.. Your bus driver must have baws o steel to go down that road :lol:
Bonny day, superb hill.. surprised it wasnt busier really :roll:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm

I knew this was going to be good when you included 'superb' in the title....I think you may have undersold it :shock: What a fantastic day in the best of conditions on a stunning mountain. You must have known it was going to be good when the local stags just stood posing for you :lol: Beautiful autumnal colours right across the mountains now and such 'picture postcard' views in all directions, even the sky played along with the cloud formations.

What an absolute stunner Foggie :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:26 pm

basscadet wrote:Aye, a superb report there.. :clap:
I was also on this hill yesterday.. Dougie and I were ascending the south ridge while you were skirting round :) We heard voices, and then saw folk behind us on the ridge, and did wonder how we managed to pass you without actually meeting anyone :crazy: I was in the yellow car parked up by the bus :D
We were awoken Sunday morning by members of your party being dropped off beside our camp spot.. Your bus driver must have baws o steel to go down that road :lol:
Bonny day, superb hill.. surprised it wasnt busier really :roll:

Thanks Basscadet. We saw the tent as we passed by on the bus. The driver is pretty-good.
We didn't see or hear you on the hill. I'm possibly needing a hearing aid as well as glasses :lol:

ChrisW wrote:I knew this was going to be good when you included 'superb' in the title....I think you may have undersold it :shock: What a fantastic day in the best of conditions on a stunning mountain. You must have known it was going to be good when the local stags just stood posing for you :lol: Beautiful autumnal colours right across the mountains now and such 'picture postcard' views in all directions, even the sky played along with the cloud formations.

What an absolute stunner Foggie :clap:

Thanks Chris. It was quite a contrast from a bleak day in the Cairngorms the day previous.

dogplodder wrote:This is the best report I've seen on this hill with wonderful shots of stags. They don't seem too bothered about possibility of being shot. :shock: :D

There was someone feeding them at the roadside. Could have got close enough to touch them :shock:
foggieclimber

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Nice one :) . I think we did exactly the same route, heading over to Sgurr a Mhaoraich Beag for the views before contouring back. Was much hazier though :?

Seems to be some interesting looking bumps to the N of the main summit (Am Bhathaich, Sgurr Thionail etc) - will probably try and work those in somehow next time I'm here.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby soulminer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Another for a revisit due to Cats, Dogs and Buckets :lol: As your photos show- some fine scenery all round 8)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Was up here with Quoman a fortnight ago and didn't get half the views you got as it was clagged up to the west. Still enjoyed it a lot, fabulous mountain.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:33 am

foggieclimber wrote:Thanks Basscadet. We saw the tent as we passed by on the bus. The driver is pretty-good.
We didn't see or hear you on the hill. I'm possibly needing a hearing aid as well as glasses :lol:

Och Dougie and I were stealth walking :shifty:

Bizarrely, I have always wondered if we would meet up some day.. long before I was a member of this site.. when I was living in Australia, I used to look at yur photobucket account all the time and feel a little less homesick :wink:
But I guess not :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Bod » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Aye great report there foggie, lovely pictures and it was interesting your close up of the small air-strip. I was looking at that keenly when on the South Ridge ealier in the year :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby quoman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Snap i was just away to write the same as Scottichleaf :lol: i enjoyed the hill very much.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mgmt! » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 pm

nice reort there foggie and some lovely pictures
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Malckyb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm

did this one yesterday,what a fab hill and the views at the summit are awesome. :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland