walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two river crossings, a train, the "BOG" & 2 Munro's

Two river crossings, a train, the "BOG" & 2 Munro's

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 20/10/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1030m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only a short report this week! Two more hills climbed at the weekend, we (me, Kyle and Marley) have crossed rivers, streams, railway tracks, bogs, bogs and more bogs before battling through rain hail and snow showers to reach the summits of two more Munros as we continue our adventure through Scotland’s highest mountains! :crazy:
DSC01681b.jpg
Ben Lui and his wee pal!
we left the car at 8.45 on Saturday morning and was quickly at the river to realise that our boots where not going to cut it! :shock: Good job dad is a fisherman and always has the wellies and waders in the boot 8) , quick trip back to the truck, wellies on and dry feet crossing. Wellies stashed in bushes for the return (little did I know)! :lol:
DSC01607b.jpg
River crossing number 1, spot Kyle!
we spoke to 3 guys setting off at the same time, they did not have wellies, they chose the trainer option instead (the wellies where offered but declined), not surprisingly they said it was a tad cold! :( Once over the river we stood next to the railway line fence whilst I put on my boots, I'd not long said to the "Wee Guy" that a train might come past so don't be scared when, there it was a bloody great train came flying past us, needless to say that I got a mega fright and Kyle just laughed at me for almost jumping into the river! :D Heading up through the forest wasn’t too bad to start with.
DSC01619b.jpg
Nice waterfall on way in!
But then.........
DSC01625b.jpg
The "BOG of all BOGS"!
At one point I was sure there was a monster chasing us, but no it was just the dug, mud up to his eye balls, he was black! :lol: We did well though despite the bogs, we negotiated a route through, saw a few walking poles stuck in the deep mud and wondered if there were maybe people attached to them! :shock:
DSC01626b.jpg
The gateway to more bogs..ha ha!
After reaching the gate to the open hillside the bogs did ease off, not completely but much, much better. At least you could now head for higher ground! We had gone much slower than normal, maybe almost lost an hour due to the terrain and trying to keep ourselves dry (ish) for the hills!
DSC01638b.jpg
The king of the mountains @ 6 yrs!
DSC01642b.jpg
Beutiful colours in autumn, love it!
Once free of the bogs and wet ground, good progress was resumed (Kyle running and me chasing :shock: ).
DSC01645b.jpg
Me & Munro Marley on our 37th summit!
DSC01646b.jpg
Kyle on his 24th Munro summit, Amazing!
We soon arrive at the lesser neighbour of Ben Lui, but did not hang around as clouds where coming and we thought to try and make the bigger summit and get the views (nah chance, doh!).
DSC01653b.jpg
Is it a monster!
DSC01654b.jpg
Who put this big boulder here???
The "Wee Guy" was on a mission, turbo charged in fact :lol:
DSC01664b.jpg
Almost there!
DSC01665b.jpg
WAHEY! Number 25! Ben Lui.
And then, there it was...he hit the summit of Ben Lui and made his 25th Munro climb since April, FANTASTIC! :clap: Very proud as ever, we had come through rain, hail and snow but made it! We stayed at the summit for a while in shelter and ate loads of food; it was good fun as always! Then we headed down....
DSC01675b.jpg
"come on daddy, the trucks just behind those trees, it want take long"!
We got down in record time, we did not take time avoiding the bogs, so by the time we got to the river we had mud in places that there should not be mud! :lol: So that was that, another epic adventure, two more hills "bagged".
DSC01680b.jpg
Job done, what a day!
All in all despite the bogs we loved it, including Marley, what doesn’t break us only makes us stronger....until the next time! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Two river crossings, a train, the "BOG" & 2 Munro's

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:28 am

Excellent stuff as ever. Looks like the river was higher than when I crossed it a few weeks ago :shock:

I'm sure the wee man won't agree but didn't Beinn a'Chliebh feel like an anti climax after Lui? Still good that the weather didn't put you both off and congratulations to both of you :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby weescotsman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 am

And another 2 on this epic road to completion before Kyle is even a teenager at this rate...... :clap:

Did these 2 in a snowstorm in May a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them although we were able to walk over the river quite easy. Got lost in the forest though, think we criss-crossed the stream 4 or 5 times before we got out of it and yeah it was pretty boggy all the way until we hit higher ground. Still had some decent views despite the snow though...... :D
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Fudgie wrote:Excellent stuff as ever. Looks like the river was higher than when I crossed it a few weeks ago :shock:

I'm sure the wee man won't agree but didn't Beinn a'Chliebh feel like an anti climax after Lui? Still good that the weather didn't put you both off and congratulations to both of you :clap:

Cheers Fudgie! We actually did that first so it was a good warm up for Lui! :wink: Thanks again! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:26 pm

weescotsman wrote:And another 2 on this epic road to completion before Kyle is even a teenager at this rate...... :clap:

Did these 2 in a snowstorm in May a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them although we were able to walk over the river quite easy. Got lost in the forest though, think we criss-crossed the stream 4 or 5 times before we got out of it and yeah it was pretty boggy all the way until we hit higher ground. Still had some decent views despite the snow though...... :D

Thanks Brian, your forest adventure sounds interesting! :lol: When I go back to these I will await for a cold spell, make sure the ground is frozen, like you suggested about Ime! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby weescotsman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Can't see Kyle running up Beinn Ime somehow, it's straight from sea level and a bit of a slog all the way through the forest...... :lol:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:49 pm

weescotsman wrote:Can't see Kyle running up Beinn Ime somehow, it's straight from sea level and a bit of a slog all the way through the forest...... :lol:

Hey Brian, never say never....he might hold you to that! :lol:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby weescotsman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Never say never, as Mr Bond says often....... :lol: Not sure Marley would enjoy an uphill race either.

At least there's a couple of nice cafe's on the other side of Loch Long to recover from the slog...... much needed refuelling.... :clap:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland