walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Harter Fell & Green Crag

Harter Fell & Green Crag

Postby andy63 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:05 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Green Crag, Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Date walked: 21/10/2012

Time taken: 5.9

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 840m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started from the car park near Jubilee Bridge in Eskdale. There's a good path up to the rocky summit of Harter Fell.The weather was sunny and there were a few people on Harter Fell, but I had Green Crag all to myself.
From the bottom of Harter Fell there's a very muddy track through some woods and then a wet but easy to follow path up to Green Crag.
The path back to Eskdale was less well defined.A lot of the way I didn't know if I was on the real path or just a sheep track.Eventually I found a dirt track going down to the valley and then it was a short walk along the road back to the start.

001.jpg
Jubilee Bridge

003.jpg
Harter Fell

013.jpg
Harter Fell summit

009.jpg
Scafell etc.

011.jpg
Coniston fells

017.jpg
Green Crag summit

019.jpg
Back towards the car park. I think the hill is Hard Knott.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Harter Fell & Green Crag

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Lovely hike Andy, great weather and best of all at lest one section all to yourself :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Harter Fell & Green Crag

Postby richardkchapman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Very nice - I love Harter Fell. Not so fond of Green Crag, though that may be because it was very foggy (and boggy) the day I climbed it.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland