walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The thrills of the Glen Garry hills

The thrills of the Glen Garry hills

Postby basscadet » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 20/10/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 2140m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this weekend, was another weekend away with Leithy.. We discussed locations and surprisingly, we were thinking about the same one – Glen Garry :D
We both drove over on Friday night.. I arrived first, in the dark, and checked out a few camp spots before I found one that was suitable.. Unfortunately in the search, I attempted to use a passing place to do a 3 point turn, and ended up going over the edge so Sunny was resting on her front wheels and underside, with her back wheels hanging in free air over a bog :o Took me half an hour to get her back on the road, by collecting rocks and branches to build up under her back wheels.. Jings that was close! :lol:
I was just setting up the tent when leithy made an appearance, and the usual beers andbanter made for a good night :thumbup:

gleomialach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Saturday – 8.11 miles, 4,100’ of ascent, 6 hours (4 walking, 2 larking about).

After a very late start, we set off up the glen to go and do Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach.. We chose to do the walk anticlockwise, partly because I always seem to get a dirty wet bum on boggy descents, and partly because the fine path down would be better for Leithy’s dodgy knee :D The tops were a bit claggy, but it showed all the signs of being a really bonny day, and as we set off we got fine views out over the loch.

We stopped for lunch pretty early on, as the important thing I had forgotten this weekend had been breakfast :lol: There had seemingly been a fair amount of rain on the preceding few days, but the boggy bits were negotiable, and the path was pretty decent all the way to the summit of Spidean Mialach, which has a nae bad wee shelter at the top.. So we had to stop again :D

All the stopping had us chilled, so jackets and gloves were donned for the descent down to the bealach. A couple of minor tops with cairns, and a group of walkers heading in the opposite direction were passed, afore the slightly steep and rocky section down to the coll.

The path continued upward, winding its way past craggy bits, we could see the clag rolling in though, and donned our waterproof jackets just in time for the deluge that followed. We made it over the first top and then had to stop to don the waterproof troos as well. It was rather disappointing we weren’t getting any views to the north over Kintail, we just had a few glimpses when we were at the coll :(
It was an easy wander from there to the summit of Gleouraich, but the rain was somewhat heavier by then, and it was pretty darn cold, so not much of a stop and we were heading down the ridge, back toward the car. The descent goes over some fine interesting terrain for the first few hundred metres There is a lump on the ridge, which I felt compelled to go over instead of bypass on the path.. Pretty soon we were back down below the clag and started to get the views again..

The rain was off so we had another stop sitting on a rather baffling short stretch of
wall, the purpose of which was somewhat unclear :? It was a particularly good path
down - one of the hand dug Victorian numbers I love so much, but well maintained..
It zigzagged its way at a pleasant camber all the way back down. The last few metres
onto the road I got re-soaked fighting my way through the depressing rhododendrons that seem to of colonised that part of the glen. A fine walk.. Just disappointing that the clag made for limited views really.. :roll:
In fine feckle, we headed back down the glen to our camp spot and had a particularly
fine dinner, but we weren’t up too late after the night afore, and enjoyed a lengthy slumber, until a group of walkers got dropped off nearby in the morning (See foggieclimbers report :lol: )

Mhaoraich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday – 6.92 miles, 2,900’ 5 hours (4 walking 1 larking about)

So Sgurr a Mhaorich was the target for Sunday.. We looked at a couple of routes, but
the initial feeling was to do a circuit of the ridge.. There was another route that went
over the back, but it looked silly.. We took both cars up, to save ourselves the couple
of km along the road, dodging stags as we went.

After parking Sunny in what turned out in the end to be the wrong location for the end point :roll: It was difficult
to find the start point, but we found it by chance in the end, taking a wee quad biketrack up beside a rather sparsely grown plantation for a few hundred yards before going off piste, up the boggy hillside, and a gruelling, squelchy ascent up to the southridge.

The tops were in cloud, but it was a still, sunny day which made for very hot work. The ridge was lumpy, and it was hard to judge which lumps to climb, and which to bypass..

We had a few ups and downs before we spotted a path, and once wefound it, the going was far faster. The path was indistinct and hard to follow in places as it wound its merry way through the slabs and crags.

Another early lunch stop as we still didn’t have any breakfast, and not much further up to the now clear summit. There were amazing views all around, even over to Skye and Eigg. We stopped for as long as we could, but a lack of shelter and a biting breeze, meant the stop was not as long as we would of liked.

We took the southeasterly ridge as our return route, as the path looked like it would be easy on Leithy’s knee. Although there is initially a wee bit of steepness below an impressive looking crag.

The ridge made for easy and interesting walking, past some sizeable boulders and down to a coll. The wee bit of ascent up to Sgurr Coire nan Eiricheallach was a good moment for me.. For the first time in what feels like months, I managed up without feeling poorly at all, and at my former usual pace :D that made me really happy after some of my recent hillwalking struggles :thumbup:

The good path continued, and swung southward toward the road, across some rocky ground where we stopped for a while, not wanting to get back to the car on such a bonny day.

The path turned into another fine, hand dug well maintained zigzaggy number, and the going was easy. Spotted one of my favourite creatures - a hairy catepillar, who wasnt even scared enough to roll into a ball when I picked it up.. so cute! :lol:

It wasn't long afore we disappointingly descended back down to the road :(

This was a really fine walk, and I rate it pretty highly.. Terrain is awesome, and our route was great.. Best day in the hills for a long time :thumbup:

So all that was left of the weekend, was to go back to camp for a cuppa afore packing up and heading
off at sunset for the long drive home.. I was gutted to leave tbh.. I honestly can’t put it into words how good a weekend this was!
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: The thrills of the Glen Garry hills

Postby Steve B » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 am

Nice report.
I am hoping to get up to these in November so good timing too. Are there plenty of camping spots up that road near parking without blocking up passing spaces?
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 am

Good stuff, one of my favourite areas this. We spent two nights camping just before the dam, climbing the four Munros over three days and we had lunch just at the bottom of your crag photo. Cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 am

I fancy the first two you did but I'm too lazy to get out my bed early enough for the drive up :lol:

Despite the weather it looks like you both had a great weekend.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:16 am

Steve B wrote:Nice report.
I am hoping to get up to these in November so good timing too. Are there plenty of camping spots up that road near parking without blocking up passing spaces?

There is plenty of parking up the glen.. The general foliage and terrain make for generally a lack of good camp spots however. If you were arriving in daylight you wont have any troubles finding one of the few places, if you were arriving at night, I could supply you with grid references of a few spots :D

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good stuff, one of my favourite areas this. We spent two nights camping just before the dam, climbing the four Munros over three days and we had lunch just at the bottom of your crag photo. Cheers :D

Aye, I will definately be back there too, its an amazing place.. a couple of the corbets looked unmissable and have made the hit list :D
Can't believe I have never been up that glen before tbh, but thats what the bagging is all about.. getting to places you havent been before :lol:

Fudgie wrote:I fancy the first two you did but I'm too lazy to get out my bed early enough for the drive up :lol:

Despite the weather it looks like you both had a great weekend.

I know what you mean.. did 468 miles this weekend.. Poor Sunny is running on empty until payday :( :lol:
It is worth it though.. you need to make the journey :thumbup:
I would say the first two are a little boring compared to Sgurr a Mhaorich btw ;)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Good to here your back feeling better BC.Done these few months back,drove up Friday afternoon and climbed Sgurr a Mhaoraich about tea time,it was ace,sat at the top for about an hour,totally under rated hill.Camped roadside and done the other 2 on Saturday,a great wee trip :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 pm

These are a lovely set of hills done them over 2 trips. done Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach clock wise i didnt fancy the walk up to SM which is fairly boggy. as for Sgurr a Mhaorich impressive looking crag that's were Scottishleaf slid and made a noise like a ruttin stag :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:57 pm

One of my favourite areas and good camping spots if you avoid the trout season then its all taken up by drunk fisherman :wink:

I m finished munros there but fancy the Corbett Eugailt as a Winter climb
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Bod » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 pm

A fine set of walks there you pair, well done :D :D :clap:

See you soon :thumbup:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Collaciotach wrote:I m finished munros there but fancy the Corbett Eugailt as a Winter climb

My thoughts exactly.. looked pretty fine so she did :D

Bod wrote:A fine set of walks there you pair, well done :D :D :clap:

See you soon :thumbup:

Aye looming close 8) I am currently building up my whisky tolerance especially for the occasion ;)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Gavin99 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:31 pm

That looks like a great weekend you had . What an exciting life wee Sunny has , other cars can only dream of her adventures !
:D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby basscadet » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Aye, she's a wee rascal.. Had a fight with a police car in Killin the weekend before as well.. always up to mischief.. :roll:

:lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland