walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye Day 2

Skye Day 2

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 am

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 17/10/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2

I picked Graham up at Carbost at 8am and we trundled on down to Glen Brittle. It promised to be another great day as we set out through the campsite and climbed steadily up the hillside making for Coir’ a’ Ghrunnda. We could hear stags roaring and eventually they came into view. They bellowed impressively for a while and then advanced towards each other while we stood and watched, waiting for the clash of antlers. However, it didn’t come to blows and one stag just walked off. Coir’ a’ Ghrunnda is a magic place, surrounded by peaks and with views across to Eigg and Rum.
DSCN2060.JPG
Rum
The waters of the lochan were an amazing colour.
DSCN2062.JPG
Entering Coir' a' Ghrunnda
DSCN2064.JPG
Coir' a' Ghrunnda
We left our rucksacks and scrambled up to the summit of Sgurr nan Eag.
DSCN2074.JPG
Sgurr nan Eag
This gives great views of the southern end of the ridge and Loch Coruisk and we could see the boats from Elgol going in and out far below.
DSCN2068.JPG
Loch Coruisk and Bla Bheinn
DSCN2071.JPG
The Inn Pinn
Returning to our rucksacks we carried on along the ridge towards Sgurr Dubh Mor. The scrambling here was superb although I would never have found the route without Graham leading the way. From the summit we could see the weather coming in across the sea so we decided to go for Sgurr Alasdair before stopping for lunch.
DSCN2077.JPG
Descending from Sgurr Dubh Mor
We skirted round above scree slopes and past the Thearlaich Dubh Gap before climbing up a chimney which brought us out fairly near the summit.
DSCN2080.JPG
Sgurr Alastair
A short distance further on and we came to the top of the dreaded (by me anyway!) Great Stone Chute. I just love scree!! We paused for a quick bite to eat as the snow started to fall and then plunged on down the chute. I must say I didn’t enjoy it much but it is a fairly quick way down. The snow continued to fall as we made our way down through Coire Lagan and back to Glen Brittle.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Skye Day 2

Postby Rudolph » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks for this great report.

It brings back lots of memories of our trip in May - most of which are happy but some (terror and the great stone chute) are not so great.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland