walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh circuit

Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby gman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 23/10/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

creag meagaidh 23-10-2012 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'm sure MWIS showed 80% chance of cloud free Munros, this was the other 20% of the time :)

Parked about 9:30, it's very well maintained around here though there was only one other car parked. Track leads to the house and there's a path alongside which they recommend for walkers. House:

Then it's on up the path, again well maintained, until I got to the cairn marking the start of the muddy path up Na Cnanapan:

Mud & Loch Laggan:

Looking round & into the valley - can see the return path here running along the right hand side:

Up to a rocky bit, getting into the clag:

There are peat hags further up and several paths going around them and onwards, bit rocky in places.

Straight on up to the cairn at Carn Liath:

Was hoping the sun would burn through the clag, but it was not to be. There are paths to follow round the ridge:

Bit of descent to the ditch before Meall an t-Snaim:

Back up for some interestingly posed cairns:

Path with rocks:

Path with fence posts:

A cairn, which was probably the 2nd Munro of the day. It didn't feel like there was enough descent/reascent to justify 3 Munros on the ridge but who's complaining :D

After this, it was down to the window, which was a bit more interesting. Snow on the path up to Creag Meagaidh:

Followed the cliffs on the left for a bit, then realised this wasn't the way to the top so headed South-west instead. Big grassy plateau so would be easy to get lost in poor visibility (like today). I didn't pass Mad Meg's cairn so wasn't sure if this was the top or not:

Used GPS to find the way back to make sure I saw Mad Meg's. Unusual shape yet oddly comforting:

Back to the window, 2 paths lead to the right and both lead to the V at the bottom of the window:

Then a rocky descent, finally I was out of the clag so it was great to get a view of anything:

Saw the cliffs on the way down, pretty spectacular:

More cliffs:

Lochan, cliffs and the stony descent from the window on the right:

Return path, a really enjoyable walk back with no mud, deer high on the rocks either side, a decent path and great views back.

Met a guy from the nature trust when I got back who asked about deer on the hills, and there were tourists in a mini van taking photos of the Highland coos. Nice walk, better with views and would probably be a good one in snow.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm

nice one, I was looking at this on the map, thinking I'd not seen a TR for a while then one pops up!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby quoman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi gman, Iys a pitty you never got any real views fi the tops but its a cracker of a walk anyway i done it the other way round i sat at the dig rock next to the lochan before i went up the rocky path whitch was in about 10ins of snow :lol: one step up two steps back slipping all over the place :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Wow! Looks great! I have been sort of avoiding this area for a while, but after seeing your report, I think I should get my backside up there soon! :D Your pics are great - was there a bit of a cloud inversion going on in the early pics? Or just lower clouds lingering? - looks awesome! Great Report! Not many to go to get your century. I felt my 90-100 took me forever! :shock:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby SMRussell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 am

Loved these hills when we did them back in March. The views are wonderful so if you have a chance to re-visit go for it. Having said that the photos look very dramatic :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Steve B » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 am

Did these the other way round last year. Had a navigation epic with getting mad megs cairn and the summit mixed up in similar conditions. Got blown off my feet on the way to the third summit.
A good circuit and nice to remember it.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Fudgie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 am

I'm definitely leaving these three for a clear day as I've seen a few great reports from them. You'll need to get back up there gman :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Nice one Gman :clap:

We did these as a round of 5 in May or June and it was a roasting hot day and yet there was still lots of snow about :crazy:

Its amazing how different everything looks 5 months on. We finished our descent on your ascent path and I must say I was disappointed that it wasn't in better condition or indeed in evidence!!!! :lol: :lol:

Well done!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby gman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Cheers, and OK I'll be back for better views (hopefully), maybe once the snow comes down :)

Was on Aonach Mor & Beag today and got the same conditions - I'm turning into a clag magnet and need my polarity reversed :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland