walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vuirich from Beinn a' Ghlo

Ben Vuirich from Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby Play2End » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:05 am

Route description: Ben Vuirich

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vuirich

Date walked: 24/10/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Loch Moraig to Carn nan Gabhar took 3 1/2 hours, a lot less time than I imagined. The weather was calm, clear and mild with no route finding problems at all. From Carn nan Gabhar the summit of Ben Vuirich looked so close and easy to get to so I strolled off in the general direction. Deep heather, no paths and 2 1/2 hours later I got there. Now which way back to Loch Moraig? The footpath from Shinagag looks the easiest, the problem lay in getting there. I missed the footpath beneath Meall Breac and ended up too far south near Crochton and walked into Shinagag from the east instead of north east. This was all done in perfect walking weather conditions but not on easy terrain. I think it added about 1 hour and 3 km to the trip going this route. Oh well!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Play2End
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:17   Islands:32

Re: Ben Vuirich from Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby weescotsman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:49 am

Never thought of doing an extra corbett when I did this last year, you probably had a better walk out (if on the right path) than coming back to the bealach and dropping into the valley, that was really boggy even on a dry day and the path was a bit hit and miss as well... :(
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Alastair S » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Interesting route - not that I'll be taking it :lol:

However these are my next nearest haven't done yet hills - hoping for a nice bit of snow soonish (i.e. not too much & only above 500m). Also thinking of a Ben Vuirich for dawn jaunt - the view of Beinn a' Ghlo from there look to be stunning if you can get good light :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby bootsandpaddles » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:10 pm

I found Ben Vuirich an awful slog, too. Seems like miles of pathless bog and heather.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby monty » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Well done Play2End. I added the Corbet when I done these Munros and it was a slog over pathless heather. Good fun though. :D
monty

Postby Cobbler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Hello. Bit of a long shot...

I'm thinking of doing a similar route (inc Vrackie) but anti-clockwise. Do you recall what the descent from Beinn a'Ghlo was like - looks pretty steep on the map. Cheers!
Cobbler

Munros:124   Corbetts:23
Fionas:10   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:24   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland