walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rucksack recommendations

Rucksack recommendations

Postby tambrown » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:57 pm

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a rucksack. I will be walking munros mainly (winter walking). I currently have a 45l which size wish seems pretty good. I have looked at a Deuter 42 which seems pretty good but any recommendations appreciated.
tambrown
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Rucksack recommendations

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:57 am

Started using an Osprey Kestrel 38 earlier this year - in my S/M size it's actually 36l - and really like it. Has all the space, pockets and attachment points I need and is comfortable - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lochlaggan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:29 am

I have a slightly older version of this rucksack and its been great for winter walking.

http://www.millets.co.uk/product/105848.html?gclid=CKbIisTlkbMCFSbMtAodzTEA2g

This looks a great deal to boot!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby SMRussell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:23 pm

rockhopper wrote:Started using an Osprey Kestrel 38 earlier this year - in my S/M size it's actually 36l - and really like it. Has all the space, pockets and attachment points I need and is comfortable - cheers :)

Hey rockhopper - how do you find the raincover on the Kestrel? I'm pondering replacing my Gelert 35l. Its a great bag in many ways especially as I paid £30 for it (excellent raincover, very breathable back system etc.) but alas the fit could be better.

I like the fit and extra pockets etc. of Ospreys and tried the Kestrel on a few times now - fits a treat, seriously feels like it was moulded for my back. However RTMcB has an Osprey (not a Kestrel though) and the raincover is pretty duff on RTMcBs model. Main problem is that it isn't integrated and it has tried to make a break for it several times during strong winds...
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby tenohfive » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:54 pm

I got a Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro 35+10 following a thread on here - that works well for me.Comfortable, easy to adjust and a few nice touches to the design.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 pm

SMRussell wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Started using an Osprey Kestrel 38 earlier this year - in my S/M size it's actually 36l - and really like it. Has all the space, pockets and attachment points I need and is comfortable - cheers :)

Hey rockhopper - how do you find the raincover on the Kestrel? I'm pondering replacing my Gelert 35l. Its a great bag in many ways especially as I paid £30 for it (excellent raincover, very breathable back system etc.) but alas the fit could be better.
I like the fit and extra pockets etc. of Ospreys and tried the Kestrel on a few times now - fits a treat, seriously feels like it was moulded for my back. However RTMcB has an Osprey (not a Kestrel though) and the raincover is pretty duff on RTMcBs model. Main problem is that it isn't integrated and it has tried to make a break for it several times during strong winds...
The kestrel raincover is attached to the bag so I wouldn't think it would blow away. I have a habit of not using raincovers as I use a Pod dry bag rucksack liner which is waterproof - I tend to carry my walking poles most of the time when on day only walks and don't use them much and this prohibits using the raincover. However, I have used it once and it did seem to keep most of the rain off with water only getting in round the edges - cheers :)
rockhopper

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I would recoemmend going to a shop and trying some on for fit, with a bit of weight in them.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Rudolph » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am

Best bargain out at the moment is the Go Outdoors own brand (The North Ridge) ballistic 45 or 35. just under £30 but only available now reserve aand collect at a few stores in England.

I got the 45 sometime ago for much more and it's a terrific but simple sack. designed for climbing its a close fit but i found it very comfortable for long day hikes in the cuillin.

I guess they didn't sell well enough and so have been discontinued.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby stevesey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Impressed with my Deuter Futura 26 - had difficulty finding smaller daypacks with all the features - the 26 (and 32) has:

Split top/bottom main compartment (that can be joined)
Inner and outer lid pockets
Zipped side pockets
Elasticated stuff side pockets
Map pocket
Waist belt pocket
Pole straps one side, ice axe the other (26L pack for winter use?)
Hydration pocket etc

Easily copes with everything I need in these more southerly regions (with room to spare).
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Eskimo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 pm

lochlaggan wrote:I have a slightly older version of this rucksack and its been great for winter walking.

http://www.millets.co.uk/product/105848.html?gclid=CKbIisTlkbMCFSbMtAodzTEA2g

This looks a great deal to boot!

Do you not find that is huge for a days walking, winter walks included? I have this bag but only use it for over night trips. Over kill for a days walk IMO.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Play2End » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Tam, I have a Deuter and I got it specifically for the winter routes. It does have loops for an ice axe and walking poles but no netting for having crampons on the outside. A major benfit for me though is the one buckle opening and a large buckle for the waist band, making it easy to open with mitts on. Choice of colours was poor and no thumb grips on the shoulder straps!
Play2End
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:92
Fionas:74   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:192   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:17   Islands:32

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Play2End wrote:...but no netting for having crampons on the outside.
I tend to carry mine attached by straps through the lugs on the top of the rucksack - problem was that earlier in the year on a hillwalk they worked loose and rubbed a couple of holes through my last daysack which I replaced with the kestrel - have now got a set of the 12 point Crampon Protectors - black rubber covers which fit over all the crampon points while carrying them.
rockhopper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk